Generate a different midi note each time I press a key?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
david_

Generate a different midi note each time I press a key?

Post by david_ » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Hi all!

Is it possible to go through a predetermined sequence of midi-notes so that a different midi note is generated each time I press the same key on a midi-controller?

For example: the 1st time I press C on the controller it plays C, the 2nd time it plays D, 3rd time E, 4th F.... etc.

It doesn't matter if the generated midi output is played on the same midi-track, if this is possible through routing different midi-tracks together that would be fine.

Also if anyone knows of any Max for live devices that does this please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

braduro

Re: Generate a different midi note each time I press a key?

Post by braduro » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:17 pm

Random MIDI device in ALT mode

david_

Post by david_ » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:19 pm

thanks braduro!

I see that the limit for choices is 24. I need to output a much wider range of signals (preferably upwards to a thousand different signals,
I'm sending the midi data to trigger a very long sequence of images in Resolume).

Even if the Random Device could generate the full midi range, I guess it would still be limited to 128 different midi notes.
Is there a way to tell it to switch channel for the midi when it reaches a certain note?
If I can switch between midi channels when I've gone through 128 midi notes it should be possible to output a very large amount of different midi signals right?

braduro

Post by braduro » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:11 am

Hi david,
Just wanted to get back to you so you wouldn't feel like I left you hanging. But, I'm afraid your particular application does appear well beyond the intended reach of the midi devices and my share of wisdom. 1000+ signals. Limited to 128 different midi notes? So you'd like microtonal options? Or ones beyond the range of hearing? :D

Oh I see, you'd like it to send random signals over more than one channel. That's definitely beyond my working knowledge, I'm afraid. Unless you simply set up more than one instrument on separate tracks and midi channels.

What you're describing sounds more and more like a sequence put through a randomizer. Or a serial set of randomizers. Because in part what you're asking for is deterministic, and yet some chance or random element is to be present for each sequence.

dubxile

Post by dubxile » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:24 pm

http://resolume.com/blog/tags/Max_for_Live

you can download m4l patches for resolume from this blog.
I'm new to resolume so still getting my head around it.
from what i understand osc is more stable than midi sync, osc lets you control resolume via network.
Also the m4l devices lauch clips or can grab a parameter from say an instrument rack and let you channel this to a resolume parameter.
Hope this helps