Possible to have Live recording external synth...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
superistic

Possible to have Live recording external synth...

Post by superistic » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:00 am

...exactly in time??

This is really bugging me now - one of my synths is off by about 250ms, others not so much but still not in time

Is there any way to record external synths into Live without a delay in the recorded track?

dcease

Re: Possible to have Live recording external synth...

Post by dcease » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:49 am

there is a lesson in help view titled "Driver Error Compensation" which may help, but if you already know how many milliseconds your synths are off why not use the "External Instrument" device and compensate for the offset there?

by chance do you have any plug ins that create a bit of latency? i.e. if i use UAD plugs in a project and then try to record some vocals they are never on time, the bigger the set, the more problems i have. fucking sucks, my choices are bounce to two track and record vocs in a different set then drag back into the original set, or move the waveforms to the proper point... sure, i could finish all parts before i touch any plugs, buttfuckthat. i've even considered switching daws for mixing and recording vocs. good thing i'm just a hobbyist as that shit would look lame in a professional setting.

*shrugs shoulders*

superistic

Post by superistic » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:46 pm

thanks, ill have a look at the Driver Compensation thing

yoyotomio

Post by yoyotomio » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:20 pm

dcease wrote:there is a lesson in help view titled "Driver Error Compensation" which may help, but if you already know how many milliseconds your synths are off why not use the "External Instrument" device and compensate for the offset there?

by chance do you have any plug ins that create a bit of latency? i.e. if i use UAD plugs in a project and then try to record some vocals they are never on time, the bigger the set, the more problems i have. fucking sucks, my choices are bounce to two track and record vocs in a different set then drag back into the original set, or move the waveforms to the proper point... sure, i could finish all parts before i touch any plugs, buttfuckthat. i've even considered switching daws for mixing and recording vocs. good thing i'm just a hobbyist as that shit would look lame in a professional setting.

*shrugs shoulders*
have you tried the live track button? (it's a mic button on the bottom left next to the preset folder on the UAD toolbar..) Though if you have an Apollo interface, try turning on delay compensation and that should get you back... 'on track'

:lol:

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:26 pm

250 ms seems a lot. You might want to decrease your buffer settings. Old school way would be : cmd+click and slide.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1