New Ableton (Live 9) Always Crashing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tyler1205

New Ableton (Live 9) Always Crashing

Post by tyler1205 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:03 am

I used to have next to no problems with Live 8, but ever since I upgraded to Live 9, all it ever does is crash. I'm running 32 bit because half of my plugins won't run 64 bit. It crashes so much that I can't even be productive anymore! I really feel like switching DAWS! Anyone have any clue what might be the problem? Thanks for any help in advance!

artpunk

Re: New Ableton (Live 9) Always Crashing

Post by artpunk » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:12 am

Computer you are running it on, operating system, RAM, your current version of Live (it's up to 9.1 at the moment), what were you trying to do when it crashes, sound card etc etc... this is information that is helpful for anyone to be able to assist you properly. The more information you can give the better. (I'm not saying I'll be able to help, especially if you're on windows, but someone might be able to!)

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:30 pm

email crash logs to Ableton and contact support.. best way to sort your issues out.

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:07 pm

cotdagoo wrote:email crash logs to Ableton and contact support.. best way to sort your issues out.
Yep, that's an even better idea!

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

tone61

Post by tone61 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:29 pm

If you want to switch DAWs get $15 JBridge so you can run your 32bit VSTs and try 64bit Live.
Many of the crashes may disappear that easily.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:41 pm

Live is running unstable on my 64-bit OS, the 64-bit version of Live will solve that problem, right?

Probably not. The first point to consider is that most of the 64-bit implementations are rather new (hosts, plug-ins, ReWire, etc.). It is quite likely that initially these 64-bit programs won't be as stable as the equivalent 32-bit versions.

The only stability issues that are solved by the 64-bit version are crashes which happen as a result of Live running out of memory.

- https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/64bit-myths-facts/

I'd think too that jBridge, if anything, would introduce another level of potential instability, not to say that it's an unstable program, I don't have that information, but it's another variable you're throwing on top of an already unstable system, that, as indicated by the link above, is unlikely to actually resolve any stability issues.

tone61

Post by tone61 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:56 pm

It is impossible to find out what the problem really is if all you say is Live is crashing.
Crashing when?
Does it crash when you use some Ableton instrument or VST.
Or no matter which instruments or effects you use it still crashes when you do something?
Or is it totally random?
Some people don't even mention whether they have a PC or Mac, yet they expect other people to just magically know how this mysterious problem would be fixed.

Some people have gotten very good results when switching to 64bit, see:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=199908

There is no one problem that users are seeing while using Live in different HW/SW configurations, so there is NO ONE CURE either.

Myself I've written to Ableton support asking if they could study why mouse wheel scrolling doesn't work in Live9 browser.
They are saying it should work. But in *my* computer it doesn't. Even though it works fine in numerous other applications using exactly the same PC and mouse.