(OT) Apple may put Intel chips in computers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue May 24, 2005 9:04 am

I wouldn't be surprised to see an Apple OS written for x86 hardware. However, thinking about compatibility issues makes me shiver with fear.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue May 24, 2005 10:04 am

the_planet wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see an Apple OS written for x86 hardware. However, thinking about compatibility issues makes me shiver with fear.
I would actually. I'd be very surprised.

How could they sell PowerMacs then? And if they made the switch completely, what about upgrades for OSX/PPC?

Plus, somebody would probably crack it so it'd run on Dell hardware. And Apple is intrinsically a hardware+software manufacturer. If they don't do both, they die. IMHO.

-Paws

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Tue May 24, 2005 1:41 pm

robin wrote:
mcconaghy wrote:
robin wrote:Those consoles won't ship with the specs they claim....that's how they'll do it.

it's a p*ssing contest at the moment that's all.

Do you think if IBM _actually_ had the ability to kncok these chips out they'd deliberately hold back on G5 improvements?
IBM only makes the G5 CPU - Apple makes the motherboard. Don't forget, the specs for the original G5 were available a good ear before the first suitable motherboards were ready.
and that motherboard has been ready for 3GHz chips for over a year :)
3 Ghz, but not multi-core chips.

robin

Post by robin » Tue May 24, 2005 1:44 pm

mcconaghy wrote:3 Ghz, but not multi-core chips.
the hold up is IBM tho. that's what i'm getting at.

that's why apple sperad rumors around about looking for other suppliers (they're not really considering intel, this is a business reminder to IBM that they have other (abeit unlikely) potential suppliers.)

raapie

Post by raapie » Tue May 24, 2005 2:16 pm

If this means they make it Pentium-M compatible that would be very smart. The Centrinos and Sonomas are the best for laptop and I guess Apple would have a hard time creating the same performance without overheating the CPU using a G5. Maybe they simply can't.

I don't think stability should be a problem because of Intel. I never have problems with it under XP, if the application is rock solid, XP shines. Stuff like blue screens if from the Windows9X days not with XP. XP should be as solid as OSX and maybe even a little bit more ( I have seen OSX lock up with Logic a few times).

Only time will tell..
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

ultrasource

Post by ultrasource » Tue May 24, 2005 2:29 pm

"This is just a maneuver by Apple to whack IBM. Do you know how you can tell that Apple isn't serious? Has Apple sued the Wall Street Journal for releasing trade secrets?" - Kevin Krewell, editor in chief of the Microprocessor Report as read on CNET.com.
I think I'd have to agree with this dude. If it does happen, I'd be as shocked as I was when the first clones came about.

robin

Post by robin » Tue May 24, 2005 2:32 pm

ultrasource wrote:"This is just a maneuver by Apple to whack IBM. Do you know how you can tell that Apple isn't serious? Has Apple sued the Wall Street Journal for releasing trade secrets?" - Kevin Krewell, editor in chief of the Microprocessor Report as read on CNET.com.
I think I'd have to agree with this dude. If it does happen, I'd be as shocked as I was when the first clones came about.
i just said that. and i haven't read those articles.

raapie

Post by raapie » Tue May 24, 2005 2:36 pm

a shock? it's just a CPU and a bunch of marketing. come on!
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue May 24, 2005 4:56 pm

ultrasource

Re: ..

Post by ultrasource » Tue May 24, 2005 5:03 pm

raapie wrote:a shock? it's just a CPU and a bunch of marketing. come on!
Not "fall on my ass" shock but rather "wtf?" shock. I could care less what chip is inside my laptop as long as it does the job.

ultrasource

Post by ultrasource » Tue May 24, 2005 5:09 pm

robin wrote:
ultrasource wrote:"This is just a maneuver by Apple to whack IBM. Do you know how you can tell that Apple isn't serious? Has Apple sued the Wall Street Journal for releasing trade secrets?" - Kevin Krewell, editor in chief of the Microprocessor Report as read on CNET.com.
just backing your statement, robin.

smart1123

Post by smart1123 » Tue May 24, 2005 5:50 pm

Found this on the digidesign forums

there is a link to the patent for the chip, also the conclusions section looks interesting.

4.6 GHz cell architecture chip from IBM

http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cells/Cell0.html
15" TiBook 1.5 GHz 1Gig RAM, MOTU Traveller, Live 5, Reaktor 5, Alesis Micron, Yamaha EX-5, UC-33e, BCR2000, Lexicon MPX-1, Orbit, Event 20/20's

robin

Post by robin » Tue May 24, 2005 7:06 pm

ultrasource wrote:
robin wrote:
just backing your statement, robin.
how daft am i? :) thanks man.