Making New Samples

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aldred09

Making New Samples

Post by aldred09 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:11 pm

How do i make a sound into its own sample for use in future songs? Like if i have a snare in a simpler/sampler or whatever and then i add some over drive and reverb can i save that as an audio sample for future use so i dont have to remake it the next time?

Macro Micro

Re: Making New Samples

Post by Macro Micro » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:24 am

There may be better ways, but a simple way is to create a new audio track, change the "Audio From" drop-down menu on the new track from "Ext. In" to "[the name of the track you want to resample]", record arm the new track, solo the original track, then press record in the main transport. The new track you create will have all of the effects/knob tweaks you do, then you can disable or delete the old track to save CPU.

timday

Post by timday » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:19 am

Make a midi clip triggering the sample, freeze the track then flatten it. That will render the track as an audio file.

Actually, so will just freezing it but you'll need to go dig in the audio folder for the freeze file.

If you flatten you should probably duplicate the track first so you have the original in case you want to tweak it later.

edit/ it's also just occurred to me you could also get what you want without doing any of that because you can drag tracks from one session to another from the browser. So you can drag in the instrument track with the sampler in it with all the FX etc set up, without ever rendering it at all.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:33 am

you can group all instruments and efx and then drag that as a preset into your library. then you can tweak it once you use it in a new project.

Also: You can drag clips and tracks from older livesets into your current liveset in order to re-use stuff.

aldred09

Post by aldred09 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:54 pm

Thanks for all the advice everyone