Filling out the sound.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sinkysaurus

Filling out the sound.

Post by sinkysaurus » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:07 am

Recently I have been ATTEMPTING to make electro, complextro type tracks. But I have a problem.

I get to the point in my music where the complextro element should kick in, and something is missing!

I have no problem fitting together multiple synths, usually 3/4 synths within two bars, interchanging.

But something is missing?! I feel like there should be something maybe going on in the background, or an added audio ingredient that will hold everything together and fill out the sound. Right now it just sounds like a drum beat and 3 or 4 synths- very sparse.

If anyone could shed light on ALL aspects needed in a complextro drop, I'd be very great up.

Pulling my hair out these days trying to figure this out!

su

Re: Filling out the sound.

Post by su » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:16 pm

complextro

I learned a new word today. 8)

I think an audio excerpt of a work in progress that you're struggling with would probably yield better advice.

Post by 102455 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:20 pm

What's a "complextro element" when it's at home? <- as we say in the UK :wink:

If you feel like there should be something going on in the background.....why not add something that goes on in the background?

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:38 pm

Love to hear some complextro, most ludacris name for a sub genre...
Prove me wrong and link some top tunes please...

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:20 pm

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:51 pm

Okay, this gets too confusing, I'd say this is more glitch-hop kinda stuff...

sinkysaurus

Post by sinkysaurus » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:02 pm

I'm not sure if you folk are being sarcastic on the Complextro thing? I just make music at home and learn online, when I was looking for tutorials on the idea of jumping between multiple synths the word complextro repeatedly appeared, that's the only reason i'm using that word.

aaaanyway

If we ignore the genre and style etc, what I'm asking is this. If you're at a point in your track where you are using a minimum amount of sounds, 2 seperate synths and a drum backing - things are going to sound quite empty or sparse. I was just wondering what people could do to fill out the sound. In any genre really.

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:16 pm

Sorry M8, was just confused by the name....
I think the best way to approach this would be recording some good sounding synth part from the same midi, with differen settings and then rearrange the hell out of it...use some unison on your synths.

Post by 102455 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:55 pm

What's your definition of empty?

I mean using two synths and drums isn't necessarily going to be sparse. It depends how busy the synth and drum parts are for a start.

Are they dry or do they have reverb on them, or other effects that can "fatten" the sound, like chorus?

Best thing to do is let us hear something. Post a link to one of your tracks that you think is "too sparse" so we know where you're at.

su

Post by su » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Like 102455 says, there are so many different ways a musical passage can be full or empty. Fast, staccato phrases could make something sound musically full. A phrase made up only of 1 drum part and 1 synth part might sound full if both parts were busy and rhythmically very different from each other. But fullness won't just depend on the speed and complexity of the parts. I can imagine that a song with 8 slow, sustained pad parts, each played with different timbres and rhythms would sound very full.

Seems to me this isn't a problem that can be worked on very effectively by talking about it in the abstract.

8)

Sage

Post by Sage » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:15 am

PHY6 wrote:Love to hear some complextro, most ludacris name for a sub genre...
Prove me wrong and link some top tunes please...
It just sounds like Skrillex, who is bad enough as it is. So basically cheesy as shit dirty Electro House, nothing "complex" about it. :lol:

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:53 am

but better than dull typical deep house.

Schiggy

Post by Schiggy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:24 am

Well, After Your Description of what you already did i'd say you need a bassline and get to work on your EQs!

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:37 pm

There are also widening techniques. Saturation and compression techniques. Ambient delay/reverb, even the tiniest amount can make a huge difference.

It depends on if you want the sounds you already have to sound bigger and more in your face, or if you're looking to make something sound 'fuller' by having more elements going on in the background or whatever.

Your best bet is to listen to your favorite tracks by other artists. They probably have their own solutions that they use. You have to learn to listen very critically, like you're trying to pull out all the info you can.

Maxadax

Post by Maxadax » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:04 pm

It's the lazy fix but adding white noise with a high pass filter and side chain compressing it to the bass drum in the main section of the track should make it sound more 'busy'.