ableton 9 suddenly has become unusable slow!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robleighton22

ableton 9 suddenly has become unusable slow!

Post by robleighton22 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:32 pm

as of today, ableton is hitting cpu peaks really easily. i mostly use ableton plugins, i sample hardware using the external instrument plugin, so most of my stuff is samples. i have one track using a korg m1 plugin. why would ableton slow down sooo much all of a sudden?

other tracks ive made that used to play fine are now slow. prob my ageing macbook, any idea or tips speed things up?

KrisM

Re: ableton 9 suddenly has become unusable slow!

Post by KrisM » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:55 pm

robleighton22 wrote:as of today, ableton is hitting cpu peaks really easily. i mostly use ableton plugins, i sample hardware using the external instrument plugin, so most of my stuff is samples. i have one track using a korg m1 plugin. why would ableton slow down sooo much all of a sudden?

other tracks ive made that used to play fine are now slow. prob my ageing macbook, any idea or tips speed things up?
is it loading said samples off the internal hard drive?
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:54 am

think i worked it out - a particular preset of the glue compressor was overloading the cpu. so far i have been using the glue compressor on the kick, and then the glue compresser on each drum sample side chained to the kick. normally that is ok, but whatever settings this particular preset has seems to overload things. obviously computer struggles when things get a little intensive.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:10 am

For everyone's benefit, could you also please tell us which preset of the Glue Compressor has caused that ? Thanks!