The Clyphx Tricks and Tips Thread

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
TomViolenz

Re: The Clyphx Tricks and Tips Thread

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:25 pm

Willyum wrote:
yur2die4 wrote:load specific devices at the press of a button instead of having to browse using some kind of display?
As I mentioned in the other thread I am also a novice with ClyphX but here is the vid (at the time marker) showing this can be done... I also saw that Tom is saying this can be done on any controller (I haven't figured that part out yet)
http://youtu.be/_iaJosV95WI?t=1m7s
They are just called x-controls in the manual.

Basically you figure out what Midi message your controller is sending, then write that Midi message followed by an action list into the UserSettings.txt and then point your Midi-in port of that controller to your clyphx script in Lives preferences.

For device loading look at the Loaddev x and LoadM4L x
actions. (x is the name as it appears in Lives browser, I don't know if that would work with racks though, which would be the only way to open vsts that way.)

The manual is pretty complete and an easy read, btw.

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:43 am

Do you have any cool tips on sequencing clips?

I need something to automate clips recording while I'm playing, to not thinking about 'press record on the next clip'.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:42 am

filter_7 wrote:Do you have any cool tips on sequencing clips?

I need something to automate clips recording while I'm playing, to not thinking about 'press record on the next clip'.
Well you should look into the srec and srecfix x actions to start session recording, then arm for arming tracks and addclip x y for making new clips in specific slots and sel for selecting slots.

Cook 'em all up into sensible (for you) action lists and you could have pretty general clips (or Midi commands if you use them as x-triggers) that do what you want. If you use x-clips you could also make the sel action select the next slot (and then make clip and start recording) via (lseq). Then the length of that clip gives you the fixed length that each clip should have.

Should be pretty straight forward.
Give it a shot 8)

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:52 am

Nice, I go to cook :D

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:14 pm

I tried Clyphx some years ago, so I dusted it off to re-use it; I re-read the manual and you're right, it's easy to setup.

I'm finding the best multi-action for me, and I must say there's a lot of good combinations!

What shocked me now (never used before) are the ENVCAP & SNAP actions; I missed that function since live 8!

I will use them in every project to store and recall presets, but also to 'morph' between different setups in the whole set, according to dynamics and the evolution of the song; it's great!

M4L sometimes crashes and it's annoying. Clyphx can replace some of the M4L functions without problems.

What do you use the most in Clyphx?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:52 pm

*bookmark*

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:58 pm

I like to have drum racks with at least eight different 128 drums that way each drum cell can be mapped to a macro. then I set up commands to randomize each drum macro and all drum macros and then also use a dev set command when I randomize or create a combination of drums that I like, which is basically creating drum kit presets. dev set can be really useful if you just want to snap macros but without having the wacky text of the snap command.

Add to that you can use an lseq command so that the macros will randomize every time the loop restarts. This is a lazy way to create 'presets'. While that loop is randomizing, you can have another clyphx instruction to duplicate that clip; use a clip name to name the clip '[] dev set', and then play that clip which will then actually write the macro settings into the clip. So when you hear a 'preset' you like you can just use that command to quickly duplicate another clip with the macro settings written it. Then you can build a track full of different drum kit settings, drag that track into your user library and bring it back into your projects or keep it in your template.
ImageImage

filter_7

Post by filter_7 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:21 pm

shadx312 wrote:... Then you can build a track full of different drum kit settings, drag that track into your user library and bring it back into your projects or keep it in your template.
very good tip!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:26 pm

The SNAP action has been in clyphx for quite some time (though it got enhanced significantly a while back when it started to also cover DrumRack send levels). The EnvCap action though is very recent. So you haven't missed it for long 8)

What I use?
Yeah the Snap action for sure. Ever since the above mentioned update came, I used it for changing my drum kits on the fly including their drum send levels.
I rack all my hits up as 128s in racked Samplers, so that each new kit is just another setting of my DrumRack, which is now in my default template and my Snap clips are the in-set kit chooser.

The quantized morphed change is very nice with this too. You should also look into the Snap rack that comes with Macrobat (included). That allows you to morph between two Snaps via turning a Macro/encoder. (Though that is more useful when you don't involve the SampleSelector, as that one obviously jumps from one sample to the other since it can't morph between them).

Generally Macrobat is something I use quite a lot. Especially the receiver rack and the track rack. (the later for instance allows you to control all 12 track send levels from Push, because I make the nK track rack control sends 7-12 and I have control of that rack in Pushs device mode.

But I also often use x-controls to give my Midi controllers functions they otherwise couldn't have. (something as basic as "lock control surface to device" is very useful for instance)

All'n all I almost use it out of habit though for almost anything. If I come up with a problem I want to solve, my first look is always into the clyphx manual to see what clyphx has to offer. Often that is also the last step, because either clyphx has a very elegant solution, or none exists.
(That changed a little for me though lately since I acquired Bomes MT - because that can do things that clyphx alone couldn't. But both work very well together)

For anything that clyphx can do, I would NEVER look further into using M4L, since the solutions are often rather similar (they use the same Live API after all), and while just loading M4L uses up quite a bit of CPU and introduces stability issues, clyphx has no discernible CPU footprint to speak off and the very few times it does crash, it doesn't take Live with it.

Of course there are vast areas of things that M4L can do that clyphx can't, but for those I usually have Vst solutions instead.

The only thing missing in clyphx that should be possible for it are more time based triggers (Think fades, not quantization). It has the BPM Ramp action, but that is unfortunately the only parameter that can be changed in this manner. For me simple automated fades of send levels or other parameters would be the cherry on top of that delicious clyphx Sunday though 8)

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:21 pm

Does anyone have a link to a manual for Clyphx? Can't seem to find it on the site.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Matt_Quinn wrote:Does anyone have a link to a manual for Clyphx? Can't seem to find it on the site.
You have to download Clyphx and the manual is inside the archive as a PDF. I guess it's done this way to prevent outdated manuals cluttering the internet confusing everyone.

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Ah thank you. Was not sure WTF I was doing wrong as I saw plenty of references to it, but no obvious link.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:52 pm

It's not the absolute best manual in the world , it's more of a reference as it's a bit jargony, but then it is free!
So expect a bit of an uncomfortable start as you have to try to figure out what an X-trigger is and what's an X-control, etc. But really that's just their way of saying "this clip/dial/locator can do magic now" So a clip named "my clip" is just a plain old clip, but a clip named "[my clip]" is now magic. Uh, I mean it's an X-trigger.So, the manual is not "an idiots guide"

TBH my usual process has been : see a mention of function on a forum "snap actions?", search for youtube video and see the implementation, find the correct syntax in the manual.

You can pretty much skip the manual and just think "what do I want to achieve?" (eg:morph presets) and then go look at youtube

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:17 pm

I think it's one of the better manuals around, because I always find in it any information I need. And I find it to be very clearly written.

Compared to the Live manual it's way better. Because that never gets into the more advanced stuff and you are not smarter after looking something up in there, than you were after looking at the info texts directly in Live.

His PXT manuals on the other hand are an utterly confusing and uninformative mess :x