The Clyphx Tricks and Tips Thread

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
regretfullySaid

Re: The Clyphx Tricks and Tips Thread

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:20 pm

Compared to the Live manual it's way better. Because that never gets into the more advanced stuff and you are not smarter after looking something up in there, than you were after looking at the info texts directly in Live.
So you've never read the Live manual then?
ImageImage

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:00 pm

While I really think the Live manual is really useful and well-written most of the time I also share Tom's enthusiasm for Clyphx. Great tool worth the investment. It may not be for everyone. I have a hard time making certain people think drum racks are the bomb. Which they are.
Make some music!

Verside

Post by Verside » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:25 am

Subscribed! :wink:
Everything you need to make all your dreams come true is already inside you. Let it out. - Verside Music | Verside Soundcloud

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:35 pm

I'll ask this here to keep this thread growing.

@Tom
like to have my presets stored nicely out of the way in some closed group track
This is an interesting idea... What's your method for storing your snap presets? You talk about a closed group track, do you have a set of track presets that match your current tracks? Are they setup to trigger as a scene with the MIDI clips or do you have them way outside of the main set to only trigger them when you want?

I guess it would be nice to discuss some organizational methods for ClyphX Snaps and maybe how to avoid Snaps that take too long to re-load etc...
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:12 pm

Airyck wrote:I'll ask this here to keep this thread growing.

@Tom
like to have my presets stored nicely out of the way in some closed group track
This is an interesting idea... What's your method for storing your snap presets? You talk about a closed group track, do you have a set of track presets that match your current tracks? Are they setup to trigger as a scene with the MIDI clips or do you have them way outside of the main set to only trigger them when you want?

I guess it would be nice to discuss some organizational methods for ClyphX Snaps and maybe how to avoid Snaps that take too long to re-load etc...
Yes out of the way mainly, but if I want to trigger them with the scene then this is also possible 8)

The way I do it is that I have used PXT on Push with its ability to add clyphx functionality to the track select buttons such that the action I trigger is: when pressed it triggers an action list that: unfolds the grouped tracks; and unmutes all the tracks in the group: now when I am in Pushs session mode I see on Pushs grid an 8x8 selection of my presets arranged as 8 presets for 8 tracks (which correspond to the same 8 tracks I would see on that grid when the group is folded), thus I can change between 8 presets for each track separately, or I can launch the scene and change all presets for the scene. After I have done so, I release the track select button, which triggers the function to Mute all of the group tracks again and finally folds the group track out of view again. So that now Session view on Push again represents the Midi/audio clips for the same tracks and triggering the scene does not change the presets (because the snap tracks are muted).

A while back clyphx lost the functionality to move Pushs grid, which limits this somewhat to 8 tracks and 8 presets each (before that I had several track select buttons move the grid to different snap tracks within the group and/or different scenes).
If you use something like the Launchpad for this you wouldn't be limited in the same way.

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:39 pm

Thank you for explaining! I think I'll try something similar 8)

So you're capturing Snaps of individual tracks then? Do you snap return tracks separately if at all?

I've had some issues with huge delays when trying to Snap too many 128's in a rack (even if I'm not using them). Do you just snap the Macros or are there no problems with Snapping individual tracks? I guess do you have any tips in that regard from experience?

I hope you don't mind the prodding, just nice to get to talk ideas with someone who actually uses ClyphX in the real world :lol:
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:38 pm

yes single tracks and only the devices I really need which I usually concentrated to the macros of an instrument rack. You can direct clyphx device/snap actions pretty specifically.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:53 pm

I've finally gotten around to loading devices via button press. Works like a dream :) thanks for your help guys.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:38 pm

I think Macrobat may be inderrated a lot too. Controlling different racks across the set from rack/s in one channel is very efficient for both production and performance!
ImageImage

aratunes

Post by aratunes » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:24 pm

Is it possible to have clyphx select a next scene for launch, two or three down, and just have it ready but not yet launch it? Thanks

(Already using it for scale changes, love it, but this means my next scene of music clips is often two or three down)

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:35 pm

Pretty sure you can....

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=216328&start=0&hilit=rtfm

At a quick glance in TFM looks like all scene commands launch the scene. you can however choose to go up and down so you could set your clip to say go up or down multiple times to get to the scene relative from the clip you're launching. So to go down five scenes, the clip name would read like:

[go down 5 scenes] down; down ; down; down; down

Seems kinda weird that you can't just select a scene though.
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:40 pm

From the manual:
SCENE <x or >x
Launch the Scene that is x-Scenes prior to or after the last launched Scene.
Example: 2 SCENE <5, SCENE >3
?

I've not found anything to select a scene (or clip) though.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:46 pm

select a next scene for launch, two or three down, and just have it ready but not yet launch it?
ImageImage

aratunes

Post by aratunes » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:35 pm

right, I just want it to be selected and ready to go, and then I'll trigger it with a foot or key

I read the clyphx manual and have only found actual launching scripts so far- but they are close! They can launch any different scene. Just need to combine it with the "select next scene on launch" to select and cue a new scene

Ara