New Macbook, which version of Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PantsDown

New Macbook, which version of Ableton

Post by PantsDown » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:20 am

Hey all,

I have just treated myself to a refurbed Macbook Pro 15" Retina. Up to now I have been using 32bit Live 9 on Windows 8 64bit.

Now I have OSX Mavericks what version of Live 9 should I be installing and why? 32 or 64 bit?

TIA

Patrick

Tarekith

Re: New Macbook, which version of Ableton

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:51 pm

As long as all your plug ins are 64bit too, you can use the 64bit version, otherwise the 32 is your only option.

PantsDown

Post by PantsDown » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Hey thanks Tarekith,

I read the sticky at the top but that was reference live 8.4, no mention of 9.

I get the difference between plugins etc but they say in that article that the ONLY benefit you'll get from using 64bit is if you are getting crashes from memory errors. No one is saying yeah use 64bit and you'll get super performance... think I'll stick to 32bit and only swap if I get crashes.

Thanks again

Regrind

Post by Regrind » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:19 am

How are you liking the ole switcheroo? I'm buying a rMBP as soon as I get my income tax refund. And like you, I'll likely go with a refurb. The thought of dishing out $3,200 for a new one kinda hurts my butt to think about.
I've been running 64bit everthing on this el cheapo VAIO, 2GHz 4GB RAM machine and it really helped with latency and all that fun stuff. Anything over 7 dripping wet tracks is just too much for it. 2 instances of Razor and she's tapping out.
Any problems merging projects and samples?
https://soundcloud.com/mistergupton
I make beats on an old Huggies box.

PantsDown

Post by PantsDown » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:49 am

Yeah loving it so far, the refurb is defo the way to go, I saved over £500 on the price and I could not tell in any way what so ever that it wasn't brand new. Not a single mark or scratch and the box / packaging was immaculate. And you get the same warranty.

There has been a bit of a learning curve as I've been a windows user for 20 years but nothing a quick internet search hasn't solved.

And as far as projects are concerned I decided I wasn't gonna bring anything that was work in progress over to the mac (mainly because the few I had were rubbish) so I've started with a complete blank slate.

Laters

Patrick

Regrind

Post by Regrind » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:18 am

Awesome. I'm glad to hear it has been pain free for you.
I've read that Apple fixes whatever issue was wrong, replaces the batteries as well as the aluminum shell. So esentially they are brand new.
I feel exactly the same way. I have only two projects I'll be taking with me but gigs of samples.
https://soundcloud.com/mistergupton
I make beats on an old Huggies box.