OT: What is IDM?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DJ VAKIS

Post by DJ VAKIS » Tue May 24, 2005 5:10 pm

What wha?Thats the way man,if can mix better than Sasha do it.
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221

----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue May 24, 2005 5:20 pm

actually, i was just wondering why that post ended up in this thread.

and by the way, i don't mix records, cds, or files. I create and compose original music.

-lm
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue May 24, 2005 5:24 pm

well, that's the problem, then. Get off that originality bandwagon, leisuremuffin!
:wink:
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Tue May 24, 2005 5:25 pm

leisuremuffin wrote: and by the way, i don't mix records, cds, or files. I create and compose original music.
-lm
There is nothing to be embarrassed about if you are forced to resort to writing your own music due to economic circumstances. Not everyone can afford to buy all the latest CDs to warp in Live and replay on stage.

Sometime DJ magazines have good mixes on the cover and are less than half the price of a CD, you could try ripping some of them and warping them?

I usually just download radio mixes from Judge Jules, edit out any Radio 1 jingles or voiceovers and play the whole thing straight on CD in a club (but I play with a UC33 that isn't plugged in, and spin some vinyl with the tonearm still on its rest). It works perfectly, no one has even known the difference.

If Judge Jules didn't talk so much it would make my life way easier. But you can't have everything.

drush

Post by drush » Tue May 24, 2005 5:33 pm

go to hyperreal and look up the IDM list archives. all possible permutations of this argument are there for your enjoyment.

highdropod

Post by highdropod » Tue May 24, 2005 5:35 pm

Ignorant Dickhead Musicians

That said, I like alot of music that has been labelled IDM, but I find that I can't stand the attitude that goes with it (at least on the west coast).

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue May 24, 2005 7:02 pm

Machinate wrote:...so you mean a reporter coined the phrase? That would make sense. Aphex called rephlex "braindance" a long time ago, so you could call IDM a derivative of that.

...but both terms suck.
I quite like the word 'braindance'.

It's a funny image anyways.

scotty

Post by scotty » Tue May 24, 2005 8:16 pm

anonymouse wrote:I think Sasha first coined the phrase "IDM" when he was asked by Mixmag in 2001 how he would classify his productions. He just said "Intelligent" but I think the journalist went away with that and added the DM.

Quite a smart way for Sasha to both invent a genre and perfectly describe his craftsmanship.
I don't think Sasha coined it... The label/term "IDM" has been around for quite some time... I really want to say since the mid-90's, but I can't quite remember when it first showed up on my radar...

-scotty

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue May 24, 2005 8:30 pm

i believe that was what is sometimes referred to as a "joke."

-lm

scotty

Post by scotty » Tue May 24, 2005 8:43 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:i believe that was what is sometimes referred to as a "joke."

-lm
oops! I wondered if that were the case, but wasn't sure as i haven't cracked open a single one of the threads with Sasha's name in the subject. -scotty

computo

Post by computo » Tue May 24, 2005 8:47 pm

I dont think ANYONE could get away with doing what sasha does. Unless they didnt care about being shitty!

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue May 24, 2005 9:07 pm

anonymouse wrote:I think Sasha first coined the phrase "IDM" when he was asked by Mixmag in 2001 how he would classify his productions. He just said "Intelligent" but I think the journalist went away with that and added the DM.

Quite a smart way for Sasha to both invent a genre and perfectly describe his craftsmanship.
Given the complexity of both his live mixing and his world-renowned studio skills, "intelligent" doesn't quite sum it all up. But that sort of lowkey humility is what the guy is all about.
sorry... but I can't hear that name anymore; sacha this, sacha that...
and the guy did NOT coin the phrase...

the term IMD is born and named after the 1992 Warp release 'Artificial Intelligence', so the word 'intelligent' does not refer to how smart the music is made..

the term 'dance' was used to put it in the dance departement because there weren't that much genres in those days as we've got now..

personally, as an IDM musician, I find the term outdated (and a bit stupid) as well.. rather call it 'electronics'.. 'glitch' is also very, very stupid..
but what I find interesting, all the fuzz about the term IDM, is that mostly non IDM lovers are bugging about it; are they offended by the term 'intelligent'?

it's just a name..
if you look closer to other genre names, they can sound pretty stupid as well:

jungle; tree's, baboons, snakes and rain?
drum and bass: they only use a drum and a bass?
psytrance; am I a psycho?
gabber; i'am not your friend (just for the dutch peeps)

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue May 24, 2005 9:24 pm

dear poster,

please read the entire thread.

thank you,

-muffin

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue May 24, 2005 9:52 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:dear poster,

please read the entire thread.

thank you,

-muffin
muffle..
I did,
and in between all the stupid 'sacha' posts,
there wasn't one that really answered the original topic question; What's IDM?
but if my contribution is not appreciated,
I'll go and harash some Sacha fans...
bye..

clipperer

Post by clipperer » Tue May 24, 2005 11:21 pm

idm is music , no???

waahahaha : D