New ableton update

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
puzzlefactory

Re: New ableton update

Post by puzzlefactory » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:22 am

Hmmm, i keep checking these release notes to see if Push will have FULL access to ALL of Lives browser (ie load third party plugins and audio clips), but alas...

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:32 am

I may be just WAY off here, but it's going to be a third party that is going to do that.

Interesting as some 3rd party plugs have controls, some just simply do not. As an example, waves and NI seem to work kinda.

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:52 am

Surely, whether or not the controls show up will have to do with whether any have been configured on the plugin wrapper in Live, no? Don't get me wrong, i'm all for intelligent auto mapping, but to begin with, i would just like to access all parts of Lives browser.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:47 pm

eyeknow wrote:I might be having some push issues, but not sure at this time.

Could you keep us in the loop? Push is working very nicely for me at the moment, and I would hate that to break...

thisodd

Post by thisodd » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:31 pm

Wow, 9.1.1 Push browser is showing me everything I need, feels more solid than ever, big compliment to Ableton on this one, please keep up the great work. Also the sound is yummy right now, no clicks and crackles so far!!!
Last edited by thisodd on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:08 pm

I'm not sure about this but I suspect my friend's version automatically updated while he had Push mods in his directory. His Push ended up not working so he had to reinstall. When he tried to re-apply those mods, it wouldn't work. Luckily he now keeps a backup Push folder on hand to clean up the issue.

So what is different about the Push browser? I am getting around to updating soon.

thisodd

Post by thisodd » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:27 pm

yur2die4 wrote:I'm not sure about this but I suspect my friend's version automatically updated while he had Push mods in his directory. His Push ended up not working so he had to reinstall. When he tried to re-apply those mods, it wouldn't work. Luckily he now keeps a backup Push folder on hand to clean up the issue.

So what is different about the Push browser? I am getting around to updating soon.
Yeah I keep a clean slate here, always better to keep backups if you mod.

For the browser it's showing me quite some folders I couldn't see before, tho places is still not perfect but we're getting there, nice would be of course that it would show the AU and VST stuff which it still doesn't, so that's one to do in my opinion. But for the rest I am quite happy at the moment.

thisodd

Post by thisodd » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:39 pm

eyeknow wrote:I may be just WAY off here, but it's going to be a third party that is going to do that.

Interesting as some 3rd party plugs have controls, some just simply do not. As an example, waves and NI seem to work kinda.
This is very much configured by the 3rd Party plugin itself, nothing Ableton can do alone about this I guess.

Also one thing Plogue told me is Live will only set a plugin "dirty" (meaning it needs saving), for example Chipsounds has a workaround to see controls but by default you are left mumbling. This has more to do with assignment then actually being able to load the plugin via Push, however somehow it's related I guess and of course things would be awesome if you could load a plugin via Push and "bam" all the controllable parameters would automatically populate. This is a difficult problem to solve I guess, maybe not even possible due to all the different formats out there or what so ever.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Oddly they make No mention of Push browser changes on their release notes. Soo, what's this mean? It was improved, but not enough to list it and have people observe it?

thisodd

Post by thisodd » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:47 pm

Yeah in fact this had been done in 9.1 Release Notes and 9.1b13 Release Notes, so you're right, I had some issues with 9.1, and had only gotten to this by now, all the Christmas and New Year time I was basically somewhat off the hook, and just moved to LA from Belgium. But you're right this should be something that works since 9.1

Never the less I would recommend anyone still using 9.1 to get on the latest 9.1.1, I had clicks and crackles, crashes and what not with that version, and it didn't feel good at all to make music with it.

Now at least for the hours I'm on it since 4 this morning everything seems very solid, I even uninstalled beta 9.1.1b4 even tho it was quite solid after the issues with 9.1 I had.

:D

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:20 pm

I've avoided beta testing with the new computer. I have all the beta versions installed on the older one but want to keep this one clean and lean. However, I'm wondering about that now as maybe I should be active. It's odd that so many people have so many different issues.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:33 pm

It just seems like every new version of Live has some issues for a while.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:35 pm

i used 9.1.1 again last night with no issues.

my buffer is at 128 samples... all native, no VSTs and no problems. tinkered for about 4 hours.

thisodd

Post by thisodd » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:41 am

H20nly wrote:i used 9.1.1 again last night with no issues.

my buffer is at 128 samples... all native, no VSTs and no problems. tinkered for about 4 hours.
careful when tinkering with older projects, I had a crash with Mad Zach's blend.io project promoted on the Ableton Website, he is working with version 8 and crashes can indeed happen whit this.

My crash happened like this, copied from the beta forum post I did and this only happened once I was able to work on the project no problem, but just don't do what I did with a Ableton 8 project and you should be fine, Might want to hit all the upgrade buttons first and save a new version this might fix the crash no idea. Cheers!

Live 9.1.1 Crashes when consolidating audio to new scene, and then hitting cmd-z, this was already happening before so, I guess you are aware of this, just wanted to let you know I still get the same.

Crash report going out in a min!

I think is easy recreate this one as is easy to explain how it happens and also see.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:17 am

^ thanks for the heads up. i'm working almost exclusively with old projects at the moment. some from Live 7 and several from 8 that i've been digging out of my Windows hard drives.