Why did i invest in ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Baffin

Why did i invest in ableton?

Post by Baffin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:03 am

I use a lot of external instrument i feel ableton is a piece of junk for working with them!
And IMO there is nothing good in this software except for work flow and audio edit.
Everything that come with it even if you get Suite version is worth shit, no good sound or effect.
Only thing i like is Sampler can do amazing stuff with it.

I feel like a shit investing in such crap when i see that logic is only 199$ that is 400-500$ less then what i paid.
Working with external instrument in logic is great.
All the effect and Synth that come with it is great.

Ableton is just a crappy software to expensive.
:x

artpunk

Re: Why did i invest in ableton?

Post by artpunk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:20 am

Baffin wrote:I use a lot of external instrument i feel ableton is a piece of junk for working with them!
And IMO there is nothing good in this software except for work flow and audio edit.
Everything that come with it even if you get Suite version is worth shit, no good sound or effect.
Only thing i like is Sampler can do amazing stuff with it.

I feel like a shit investing in such crap when i see that logic is only 199$ that is 400-500$ less then what i paid.
Working with external instrument in logic is great.
All the effect and Synth that come with it is great.

Ableton is just a crappy software to expensive.
:x
Well that's your opinion & you are certainly entitled to it... But opinions are like arseholes, everyone has got one (including me, I will admit!) Like any software certainly time and effort in learning how to use it properly is rewarded by good returns, but some people just seem to lazy to even bother learning how to use any given software, and these same people often seem to turn up in forums and after only a few posts loudly claiming said software is no good... go figure, eh?
I will point out in a very pedantic and boorish way (as I am prone to) that you have already contradicted yourself by saying "everything in it is shit'' then saying you can do amazing stuff with Sampler. You also infer (previous to your everything is shit comment) that the workflow and audio edit capabilities are OK... So you seem a bit confused.
I disagree with your opinion, as would many others, including some very successful musicians who seem to have no trouble with using it, including incorporating their external instruments into the workflow.
I hope you get more enjoyment out of Live than you seemed to have so far, but personally I think perhaps you need to spend a bit more time with it... That's just my opinion of course ;)

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

mbakirov

Post by mbakirov » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:03 am

i worked with external instruments.
in ableton it is nice that you can select a midi program/bank in a clip

what exactly do you dislike?

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:25 am

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:12 am

I would be quite shocked if this guy comes back to this thread ;-)

It's an obvious troll post, and we all know what you don't do to troll, huh...

mots

Post by mots » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:46 pm

you can always SELL your licence. this is something accept to do and transfer the licence the buyer.

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:38 pm

Baffin wrote:Everything that come with it even if you get Suite version is worth shit, no good sounds...
That is just not true. If you make boring German minimalist techno then Suite is incredible!
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

login

Post by login » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:56 pm

Cool story bro

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:57 pm

If you run:

a simple noise oscillator with a modulated decay time -> Autopan -> modulated simple delay with a modulated Dry/Wet -> Live Reverb with a modulated Dry/Wet -> Corpus

You get:

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:03 pm

Baffin wrote:And IMO there is nothing good in this software except for work flow and audio edit.
I wouldn't go so far as to call ableton filthy but it's definitely dirty. But, a DAW's got workflow. Workflow goes a long way.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:03 pm

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:05 pm

a simple noise oscillator with a modulated decay time -> Autopan -> modulated simple delay with a modulated Dry/Wet -> Live Reverb with a modulated Dry/Wet -> Corpus
Will have to try that.

As old as Electric is, I have no interest in looking for another emulation, it has enough options for EP variety and sounds great.
I don't think Collision and Tension get enough love maybe because they don't understand it, but experiment and modulate and the sounds are hardly boring.
Mix in some midi effects before them and it just gets better.
ImageImage

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:21 pm

Favorite thing to do with Tension is to hard pan a result, rack it with a duplicate hard panned the other way. Then make very slight modifications. The result is usually something that sounds artificial, yet so real you can swear you can touch it's exotic strings.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:22 pm

If you can't make any sound/music you want with Suite, it's not Suites shortcoming...;-)
Just saying...

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:35 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Favorite thing to do with Tension is to hard pan a result, rack it with a duplicate hard panned the other way. Then make very slight modifications. The result is usually something that sounds artificial, yet so real you can swear you can touch it's exotic strings.
I have no problem working with Collision, but I find Electric terribly limited—though this could simply be because I'm not really interested the the kind of sounds it was designed to produce.

Tension, on the other hand, is something else. Its potential for randomly creating speaker-destroying sounds requires that it be approached with caution, AND it doesn't really sound like a convincing emulation of anything, BUT it can create some very interesting sounds.