Push owners: has Push replaced the keyboard?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Airyck

Re: Push owners: has Push replaced the keyboard?

Post by Airyck » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:37 pm

Don't forget you can use push in Chromatic mode, you don't have to use a pre-defined scale.
Ableton Live 10 Suite / Push 2 / Max 8 /

drez

Post by drez » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:33 pm

synnack wrote:
antarktika wrote:When I play on a gridded controller, I tend to play in completely different ways than I would on a keyboard, more big note jumps and the like, since (at least with Nativekontrol's LPC script on launchpad) they are stacked in a 4x4 block I just tend to play entirely differently. With keyboards I usually do more flowing melodies with less jumping around, so I'll go with no, not a replacement, but a great compliment.
100% agree. I also play totally different on the grid. It wouldn't replace keys if you are already used to playing on a standard keyboard. But it's great for forcing you to do something different.
Spot on. I play differently on the push, so my music is coming out a hit different right now. I'm working in NOT trying to reproduce what I can do on a regular keyboard because I can already play a regular keyboard very well. I can always pull out my SL MK2 and play the intricate parts of a piano line or complex string arrangement. It's coming up with all of the non-muscle memory things with Push that have been inspiring. Into grate that with the ability to switch to the drum rack mode and its definitely been a fun controller to use. Most fun I've had with any controller purchase, hands down.

Coupled with Touchable, it's been just wonderful.
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:40 am

I can imagine that playing faux guitar solo improvs on the Push could be pretty awesome!

Dr Dub

Post by Dr Dub » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:04 pm

Yes it has, which could have to do with Fact that i suck at playing Keys.

but since i own it, i have not touched my Keyboard Controller.

For me, Push is great fun and the best Controller i have owned so far - if i were good at Keys i probably would not bother.
Live Suite 9 - MBPR 15 - NI Komplete Audio 6 - Push - Brain - Hands - Melodica

csl

Post by csl » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:43 pm

I've really enjoyed jamming out melodies with Push, but only in chromatic mode so far. One of the best things about it is if you have a background in guitar playing, then the same patterns between the intervals exist on the rows on Push as strings on a guitar, and they're the same all the way up.

I do have the same complaints about the pads for sustained notes though -- the lack of depth to the pads are great for drums, but not so good for holding chords.

I do love how you can stay on the notes page and keep advancing scenes using the up/down arrows, too.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:14 am

I agree, and it's starting to bother me. I think I'm going to exchange this one because I want to "make sure" but w/o changing the settings, they are a bit tough. What's helped me is when holding down chords is to gentle "push" (no pun intended) the pads down and they hold better as opposed to the playing style I would use with keys.

But for a non-keyboardist like me it is fun to use.

keamo

Post by keamo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:33 pm

Besides my minimoog, push is hands down my favorite piece of equipment in my studio. I have a tendency of digging too deep with the mouse/keyboard sometimes and this has allowed me to back away and really feel what I'm doing. I personally have played many instruments growing up but never learned the piano. I do a lot of work with remixing so for me knowing a key of a track, and boom im instantly there in key. This will become a lot of fun in the future for live performers.

KEAMO
http://www.soundcloud.com/keamo
AbletonW/PUSH
Macbookproi7-8gig
MotuUltraliteMk3Hybrid
MoogLittlePhatty
KorgMS2000
KorgMicro
TriggerFinger
JazzmutantLemur
OxygenM-Audio49

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:50 pm

Shit out of luck trying to try one out in the shop; the demand is too big for them to keep a demo unit. :roll:

keamo

Post by keamo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:06 pm

sporkles wrote:Shit out of luck trying to try one out in the shop; the demand is too big for them to keep a demo unit. :roll:
You should go to a live show or ask a local artist when they are playing next. There must be a community of people who own them if they are in such high demand where you live! I wouldn't say no to anyone wanting to learn more about production and wanted to check out equipment that I own. I personally watched all the videos about PUSH on Ableton.com and bought one literally the next day.

KEAMO
http://www.soundcloud.com/keamo
AbletonW/PUSH
Macbookproi7-8gig
MotuUltraliteMk3Hybrid
MoogLittlePhatty
KorgMS2000
KorgMicro
TriggerFinger
JazzmutantLemur
OxygenM-Audio49

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:44 pm

eyeknow wrote:I have a pretty light touch and I'm noticing that the note/off happens a little too easily vs my impulse which the light touch stays consistent. This might be because I have it set to default, or maybe I have a questionable controller?
csl wrote:I do have the same complaints about the pads for sustained notes though -- the lack of depth to the pads are great for drums, but not so good for holding chords.

I don't own Push, but I could tell that it seems to be an issue just from all the videos that I have seen. Did you think a foot pedal would make a difference?
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

KrisM

Post by KrisM » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:30 am

I don't even own/use a keyboard. Push works out a lot better for me and takes up so much less space :)
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:25 pm

The space concern is actually a very good argument for the Push.

I got to try one today; went to a different store and sat down to play with it for about 45 minutes. At 30 minutes, I caught myself thinking "there's no way I'm walking out of here without a Push" (no pun intended). But then I started mulling things over a bit, and realised I WANTED a Push, but that I don't NEED a Push.

I walked out of the store empty-handed, but I'm sort of glad. On my way out, I tapped around on a MiniBrute, and I thought "I'm actually fine with keys". I'm not saying I won't ever get a Push, because I really loved playing around with it, and it felt really intuitive and very well suited to my way of playing melodies.

At this point, I think the ideal setup for me would be two 25-key keyboard controllers stacked "depthwise", so that I can have my mouse next to them. My 61-key Axiom is simply too big for my use.

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:16 am

Nope, far too many features missing in Push. Using some of the 3rd party scripts gets you closer, but I still need to use my mouse/keyboard for anything besides simple jamming.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:58 am

marcoskohler wrote:Nope, far too many features missing in Push. Using some of the 3rd party scripts gets you closer, but I still need to use my mouse/keyboard for anything besides simple jamming.
Just to clarify: I was referring to MIDI keyboards, not computer keyboards :wink:

I don't think a single controller can completely remove the need for a mouse/keyboard, and I don't think anyone had any illusions that Push would, either.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:36 pm

Well... Golly-gee! I went back to the shop today and picked one up; so far, I'm having PURE fun with this thing. It's fantastic! :D