Does musical theory is needed in electronic music ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Re: Does musical theory is needed in electronic music ?

Post by eyeknow » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:44 am

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:45 am

Tell you what. In the interests of everyone, why don't we just ignore each other from here on out? If there is an "ignore" option on the list I will exercise it on my part, and suggest you do it as well. I have no interest in exchanging remarks with you for any further reason, and would appreciate it if you would not respond to my posts, in the interest of not polluting the atmosphere for others ....
stringtapper wrote: .....................

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:47 am

N/M

I don't actually care :lol:

Still, I'd like to know music as well as those dudes, I don't know if I'd want to argue about it like that though.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:31 pm

What happened here wasn't an argument. It was a classic case of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Unsound Designer

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:41 pm

Who won?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:00 pm

Buleriachk wrote:and I now understand way more than I EVER wanted to about tritones in general application.... this thread has not exactly enriched my musical life and I find myself much the poorer for it spiritually, since it took me far away from Flamenco which has far different priorities (much closer to traditional V7 Blues).
Personally I think knowing about other music besides your main focus is extremely helpful. Music doesn't evolve without inspiration mostly from outside itself in my opinion.

I don't know about other threads, but any weirdness here started when one person, in this case you more or less poking at traditional theory in practice as if it was irrelevant. Someone else who studies theory intensely, in this case Stringtapper begs to differ.
The main thing I see is you seem to have attributed some level of anti-authority stance to your argument, which isn't relevant really. Folk music and classical are and were mostly played by the lower classes, who listens or what surrounding culture is predominant around a music doesn't change the fact that it's all music. :)

I'm not a fan of flamenco or jazz, but I certainly think both are valid and deserve some study if I'm to make music even just my predominant hobby.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:42 am

sporkles wrote:Who won?
Nobody. Everybody lost.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:12 am

The snake biting its own tail is supposed to be a profound symbol in Jungian psychology. Means wholeness, I think.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:29 am

Ah. So not wholeness, but eternal return. The flame war endlessly rekindling from the ashes of its own exhaustion. Yes, a profound image. We are trapped.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:33 am

The Finn wrote:Ah. So not wholeness, but eternal return. The flame war endlessly rekindling from the ashes of its own exhaustion. Yes, a profound image. We are trapped.
The only way to win, is not to play :mrgreen:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:06 pm

all of this could have been avoided by reading the Subject repeatedly while pondering its profundity.