WHICH CONTROLLER? PLEASE HELP

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
The_Lost_Jedi

WHICH CONTROLLER? PLEASE HELP

Post by The_Lost_Jedi » Wed May 25, 2005 10:59 am

Dear all

I am an artist who is new to the whole Ableton Live thing, and although its straight forward to use Im getting ready for my first gig and want to get a control unit/keyboard so as to eliminate, as much as possible, the use of the mouse, and feel more 'hands on'.

My set is made up of .wavs, stripped from my tracks, so really Im looking for a controller to punch in loops, fade in/out, and tweak and mess with effects on each channel

My problem is, having looked through most of this forum, and others, I still dont know the best, and most suitable controller to go for...

PLEASE HELP/ADVISE....my gig is in 5 weeks and want to be ready!

If you contact me with a good tip/piece of advise that sorts me out, Ill send you a cd of my set

Many Thanks

headquest

Post by headquest » Wed May 25, 2005 11:38 am

There are lots of good recommendations, I'm sure, but I use the M-Audio Ozonic and would certainly recommend it.

You can read about it here:

http://www.midiman.net/products/en_gb/Ozonic-main.html

What I like about it is -

1. The firewire connection is better than the USB that I had before, and audio quality is great

2. The keyboard itself has three octaves rather than two, with good build quality, responsivity and programmable aftertouch.

3. The nine faders are great for mapping to mixer channels 1-8 plus master, and the 8 knobs for sends/etc

4. It has a joystick. Enough said!

In addition it has XLR mic input, seperate volume for headphone out so that you can preview, etc.

I think its a good recommendation, but its also a crowded field now, with lots of good options.

Hope this helps.

The_Lost_Jedi

Post by The_Lost_Jedi » Wed May 25, 2005 12:48 pm

Sounds spot on m8, thanks

Ill go check it out!

ps. PM on the way

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Wed May 25, 2005 1:03 pm

if you don't want that piano-keyboard look, go for a faderfox (buttons version) and a UC33e ... I don't think you could do better than that combination.

There is no built in soundcard with that though.

smart1123

Post by smart1123 » Wed May 25, 2005 4:00 pm

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=18

Looks pretty sweet....AXYZ controller? :)

they also have a 25 key version with no faders
15" TiBook 1.5 GHz 1Gig RAM, MOTU Traveller, Live 5, Reaktor 5, Alesis Micron, Yamaha EX-5, UC-33e, BCR2000, Lexicon MPX-1, Orbit, Event 20/20's