endless clicking/crackling problems with Live 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eyeknow

Re: endless clicking/crackling problems with Live 9?

Post by eyeknow » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:53 pm

marcoskohler wrote:
eyeknow wrote:that is still 7 weeks away IF they get it out on time.

8 and 9 ran on the old computer with virtually identical results. The only thing that was a problem at first with 9 was indexing was a mess originally. On this computer this is just a clean install of 9.1, packs, M4L, and now push.
So you're saying you have no issues? Or constant issues? It just seems weird to have a fully loaded system, running an insane amount of RAM and still have problems loading 10-15 tracks. Perhaps it's expected when using CPU intensive plugins like Satin and Monark, etc.
I have absolutely no issues and I use satin and monark all the time. (well, monark some of the time) I use a shitload of amp sims (bass and guitar) and use studio drummer and SSD (I haven't installed SD here yet but it's on the older computer, again, 9.x and it's fine)

I'm not trying to rub anyones face in it, I hope it doesn't sound that way, I'd be PISSED if it was me, trust me.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:56 pm

I'll throw something out here, and I know it's a pain to even mention it......but is it possible that with all the beta versions/full/etc etc things are just borked and you need a clean install?

I know, I know, live 8 works fine, I get that. I'm just thinking of anything off the top of my head. I like coming here to learn and discuss the product, I want all my peeps to be able to enjoy it as much as I do.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:47 pm

it's possible that the betas crippled something. But usually a delete of the preferences will sort those issues out, and I've done that a few times. There aren't really any other interdependencies that I'm aware of which might be lingering, all the versions tend to install to named folders. I mean, as long as you only ever run the most recent version and don't try to start up Beta49 again at the same time, or something. Which would be silly.

Well, I can see I need to have another go at fixing this, although I've been all around the block with it numerous times. You know you have exhausted your options when you are finding and deleting old visualC re-distributables, and comparing different firmware versions for your interface(no difference), and watching process explorer while making music to try and find rogue processes.

I'm pretty sure there is something wrong deep in the heart of Live 9, otherwise this image would not ever be possible

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:12 am

I'll play around with it more tonight but I'm pretty sure I can safely say that has never happened to me.

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:18 am

Ok, Mads from Ableton just replied to my thread on the Beta forum:

We have been chasing this performance bug for quite some time, since it is only reproduced on some but not all systems which makes it very hard to track and fix.
When you get this problem please submit a bug report and include a status report (help menu -> get support).

Best,
mads

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:42 am

It's not surprising abe's are on the case.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:22 am

eyeknow wrote:I'll play around with it more tonight but I'm pretty sure I can safely say that has never happened to me.
it is certainly a bit rare, and so I would normally not care about it. I've had 9 good years of using Ableton Live without any bugs, crackles or pops. So the fact that now I can guarantee that any song I try to make in Live 9 will sound like frying bacon within 20 minutes. It's not a good feeling.

I have of course reported it a few times to Ableton, but so far there haven't really been any reproducibles, as with many people here - Ableton try something I send them and will say "it works fine here". And there's not much they, or I, can do in that circumstance.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:34 am

So what I did was load 10 instances of "element" and just recorded random crap and a few scenes. then I dragged notes around to see if anything happened.

Result: even with all the motion not a single crackle, cpu 17%

Now I know that the 4770 is a bit more powerful than what most people have here but element is pretty cpu intensive. I strung up a little diddy in just a few minutes. I'll let it loop around continuously and see if anything happens.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:46 am

I think if you've never seen the issue this far, then you don't have it.

it's not something you'd ever need to look for, or search for. If your system has this problem then it's just there - front and center, loud and crackly.

whatever "it" is, you'd know by if you had it.

It may be some weird interaction between a driver and the library indexing service, or perhaps it's some new Abeton GUI methodology interacting with some Asus service interacting with Avast antivirus, interacting with an Nvidia driver interacting with a Canon camera driver.

Who really knows.

I only know that if you have the problem, you can't miss it
and if you don't have the problem then you'll never find it.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:54 am

Probably right.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:41 am

*sigh*

I just killed all but my most essential services. deleted the preferences file, flushed my memory. Did everything I could think of .

I loaded Live9 and recorded one track of me playing Live's Electric piano. Then with Transport stopped, I selected some MIDI notes with the mouse, without the 'preview' speaker active. Selecting notes: The CPU usage on my 8 core i7 leapt up from 1% to 25%.

Live 9 : an increase of 24% for the act of selecting notes in the midi editor

I loaded Live8 and recorded one track of me playing Live's Electric piano. Then with Transport stopped, I selected some MIDI notes with the mouse, without the 'preview' speaker active. Selecting notes: The CPU usage on my 8 core i7 went up from 1% to 2%.

Live 8 : an increase of 1% for the act of selecting notes in the midi editor

tone61

Post by tone61 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:28 am

I see such CPU increase (but from 1% to 7%) in one of my livesets when selecting a midi note only if I have MIDI Editor Preview button selected.
In other words if I move a note it is played using track's instrument.
But if that Preview button is not selected CPU% is 1-2%.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:47 am

Ok, you are on to something. I just took a note and moved it around wildly with the preview on and had a jump to about double the CPU. Turn the preview off, and maybe an increase of 1%.

su

Post by su » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:59 am

fwiw I'm experiencing the crackling and it began recently. I turn audio preview on in nearly every midi clip.

Schmidi

Post by Schmidi » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:33 pm

Last year I was having crackles/pops when recording from physical inputs on my soundcard. My crackles would actually get recorded into audio clips too but were not continuous.

I found it to be a USB/Windows issue. The only thing that worked at the time was to plug in a powered USB hub, and then my soundcard into said hub (As the only device on the hub). This actually stopped all crackles to my surprise.

I have since bought a PCI USB card for my desktop and had no further crackles.

This stuff is super frustrating when you just want to create music!

Schmidi