Why is there so little love for musicians with Android gear?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

Why is there so little love for musicians with Android gear?

Post by sporkles » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:29 pm

Is there any technical reason why so many apps are iOS exclusive? Is there no money in Android versions? I'd love to get stuff like the Lemur app and Touchable for my Galaxy Tab. Has the iPad become the "serious" platform for musicians, like the Mac?

stringtapper

Re: Why is there so little love for musicians with Android gear?

Post by stringtapper » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:33 pm

My guess would be it's a combination of how easy Apple makes it for devs to get into iOS development with Xcode and that there may be more issues with piracy on Android, although that's speculation. You pretty much have to jailbreak an iOS device to use any kind of app not downloaded through the App Store. How easy is it for Android users to simply copy over existing apps without buying them?
Unsound Designer

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:35 pm

But it very well could just be a remnant of the dominance of Apple hardware in the professional computer music world.
Unsound Designer

dubxile

Post by dubxile » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:04 pm

Beat making apps seem to be to laggy. this maybe something to do with android and how it handles audio.
touchOsc is great and easy to setup custom templates. I'm using it in combination apc40, push, bcr 2000. basically i use tablet to trigger clyphx to reset sends returns and apply snaps. Well worth the $5

amillionwinters

Post by amillionwinters » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:18 pm

i just hum and/or beat box with a voice recorder. then i work the details out later.

although, i don't produce music for a living, so what do i know?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:24 pm

stringtapper wrote:My guess would be it's a combination of how easy Apple makes it for devs to get into iOS development with Xcode and that there may be more issues with piracy on Android, although that's speculation. You pretty much have to jailbreak an iOS device to use any kind of app not downloaded through the App Store. How easy is it for Android users to simply copy over existing apps without buying them?
a lot of this ^

too many processor types, configurations and variables in Android land and the lawlessness of being without the App store and confines of Apple... in some ways that's great, in others... not so much.

i've seen a few more more recognizable ones porting over though. Cubase and Fruity Loops have started going in that direction, for example. both started out on iOS. i'm sure many more will follow as things stabilize and a certain bar is set as far as specs and such go.

login

Post by login » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:05 pm

Android has too much latency to start. It was not designed for audio.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:23 am

Does android even have midi built in??

c33

Post by c33 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:05 am

All I know is there's stuff iPad & iPhone apps have been doing for quite a few years now that other devices aren't even close to touching. I'm only recently jumping on the iOS boat and it's pretty astounding what some of these apps can do. When it comes to creative apps in particular (music, photography, design), iOS apps are way ahead of the competition.

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:27 am

Android isn't a sustainable platform. No point in developing for it.

Total Android revenue: $550 million
Total iPhone revenue (excluding software sales): $150 billion

darth_fader

Post by darth_fader » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:09 am

It is not as bad as you might think. The music apps on Android are constantly evolving and for all usage scenarios there is now a capable app:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:20 am

"darth fader" 8)

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:37 pm

login wrote:Android has too much latency to start. It was not designed for audio.
^^This
http://heatvst.com/wp/2013/11/30/high-p ... esnt-work/

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:06 pm

As an iOS developer, it's much more the technical problems than any business side. Ideally, we'd develop and sell on all platforms, but with very limited time and resources we're going to use the platform with the least MIDI latency problems, with Apple's basic, but reasonably effective copy protection, with a clean and clear number of device configurations to support. Also, Apple was first (well, never really, but you know what I mean) with a lot of things and so you prefer to stay in a development environment you know and build on your invested time...

loydb

Post by loydb » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Latency + infinite hardware/software configs + demonstrated unwillingness (as compared to iOS) of users to actually pay real monies for something.
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968