HELP WITH REWIRING

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hybrid_90

HELP WITH REWIRING

Post by Hybrid_90 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:15 pm

HELP! Just a quick query that has been bugging me half to death. Basically, I own Ableton Suite 9 & Cubase 7. I want to rewire them with Cubase as the Master, and Ableton as the salve. I have managed to set all of this up in Cubase 7, and I have sounds from Ableton coming through into Cubase. I can even record on a MIDI track and all is well. Here's my problem...... Basically, I wrote 90% of a song in Ableton and all I want to do is record the vocals in Cubase. So rather than "mix down" or "export" individual MIDI tracks, and rather than "re-record" them within Cubase. Is there a way that I can press "record" within Cubase and the master output from Ableton is able to be recorded into Cubase via a single or multiple tracks???? That way I will have the whole song now in Cubase ready for vocals. Or do I have to do the export function? Any help would be greatly appreciated and a prompt reply even more so as I am going out of my mind with this one.
If this is not achievable, then would you mind giving me the key benefits as to rewiring within audio software. As at the moment all I can think of is using VSTI's from one DAW into another. Many thanks in advance :mrgreen:

Da hand

Re: HELP WITH REWIRING

Post by Da hand » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:53 pm

Hybrid_90 wrote:HELP! Just a quick query that has been bugging me half to death. Basically, I own Ableton Suite 9 & Cubase 7. I want to rewire them with Cubase as the Master, and Ableton as the salve. I have managed to set all of this up in Cubase 7, and I have sounds from Ableton coming through into Cubase. I can even record on a MIDI track and all is well. Here's my problem...... Basically, I wrote 90% of a song in Ableton and all I want to do is record the vocals in Cubase. So rather than "mix down" or "export" individual MIDI tracks, and rather than "re-record" them within Cubase. Is there a way that I can press "record" within Cubase and the master output from Ableton is able to be recorded into Cubase via a single or multiple tracks???? That way I will have the whole song now in Cubase ready for vocals. Or do I have to do the export function? Any help would be greatly appreciated and a prompt reply even more so as I am going out of my mind with this one.
If this is not achievable, then would you mind giving me the key benefits as to rewiring within audio software. As at the moment all I can think of is using VSTI's from one DAW into another. Many thanks in advance :mrgreen:
You should be able to simply record in Cubase the track(s) that Ableton Live is coming in on. I don't have Cubase, but it works this way in Live when Live is a Master to... for example Reason.

But you can also simply leave things as they are currently Rewired, record your vocals in Cubase, and then when you do your final render in Cubase, the render will include the Rewired Ableton Live tracks as well (the way you hear them when you play things back in your project normally). That is the way I work with Rewire, I keep my two programs Rewired until the end, in case I need to make changes in one program or the other before rendering.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:25 am

I would ask on a Cubase oriented forum for better answers. I haven't used it in a while so I'm not super-qualified to give any advice but I'll throw this out there: when you configure where the signal is coming from to get audio from Live into Cubase does Cubase let you choose which channel the audio is coming through from? My instinct is that is that it should. If you aren't seeing any options like that I would try digging deeper into Cubase to see if there are more routing options you aren't aware of yet.

Hybrid_90

Post by Hybrid_90 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks guys, all sorted now! Sorry for the late response too.

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:41 am

I am a big fan of rewire and use it to rewire to Reason (being the slave)

for the record Live is my No1 choice ha,ha :D

Ok in case anyone see these threads

Both DAW'S have to be in either 32 bit or 64 bit operating mode for rewire to work properly