CPU speed versus music - a XXXmas story

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
monolake

CPU speed versus music - a XXXmas story

Post by monolake » Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:18 pm

A few years ago i did attend an accademic computer music concert here in Berlin. It was in a church and everyone went in quiet. In front of us there were tables filled with Silicon Graphics Workstations, Audio Interfaces, Hubs, Digital Mixers, Amplifiers and lots of more highly expensive stuff. At some point a performer went on stage, took place behind his Gigaflops and put on a pretty hightech looking Dataglove. Then he pressed a few buttons and made a dramatic gesture with his gloved hand. After the remarkable latency of a second or so his SCI workstations did respond with sounds simmilar to some of these toy frogs for children : "ooooiiiinnnnkkkk" .

The concert did last two hours. "oinnnnkk kk k k ooooinnnnnng g g g g g oioioioioioinnnnggggggggg oi oo o o gggggg......

Later at night i went dancing. A jung man was performing with a Roland TR808 a TB 303, a smal mixer and some cheap FX boxes. He created an intense constant change of beat, structure, sound. And he created euphoric moments and exitement by making the best out of a very limited setup.

When ever i hit the CPU limit i try to remember this.

robert

geargasm

Post by geargasm » Sat Dec 21, 2002 6:52 pm

hahahaha. Reminds of an artist by the name of Fuckstorm. Makes some of the best music I've ever heard with two gameboys.

A very merry holiday season for everyone!

- Mike

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:10 pm

Just love this story!

LESS IS MORE ! CREATIVITY BLOSSOMS THROUGH LIMITATIONS!
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:57 pm

Mbazzy wrote:
LESS IS MORE ! CREATIVITY BLOSSOMS THROUGH LIMITATIONS!
fuck yeah it does. use what you have to it's fullest before moving on to the next shiny new gidget (your wallet will thank you).

k
Last edited by dirtystudios on Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdg

Post by jdg » Sun Dec 22, 2002 1:43 am

i think i've seen that dataglove glove guy.. no.. that was micheal jackson.. sorry :roll:

yeah.. thats my pit.. i'm uninspired, so i buy more stuff.
www.google.com

best website ever

twelve

Post by twelve » Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:45 am

thanks for the fresh skins monolake. tucson is exactly what i was looking for.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:25 am

jdg wrote:yeah.. thats my pit.. i'm uninspired, so i buy more stuff.
take a different route to work. go hang out on an overpass at night downtown (the one above mercer off eastlake is my favorite. my first official album cover will have something to do with this...it's gonna be neat). do something you've never done before. give your brain something new to play with. go for a walk and come up with a beat/melody to your pace. beatbox against your favorite album, record it then remix that funkyness. whatever you do, pay no attention to me 'cause i'm all liquored up.

la vita e bella.

k

yon

Post by yon » Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:44 pm

twelve wrote:thanks for the fresh skins monolake. tucson is exactly what i was looking for.
tucson is mine, actually. that's my old hometown! ah.. the warm high desert air.. the sun and mountains.

but i need to tweak it a bit. i think all the others color schemes are robert's or torsten's..

yon / ableton

metrognome32

Post by metrognome32 » Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:57 pm

Hey Yon, just add some blue skies on that skin. I thought I was seeing things when I saw it in the menu. Peace from Tucson. :)

-gNome
www.azsessions.com

cperezzzz

Re: CPU speed versus music - a XXXmas story

Post by cperezzzz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:49 pm

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX