running a liveset in mono

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
zwolf

running a liveset in mono

Post by zwolf » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:35 pm

This is really basic....

So I have a large ableton project, essentially backing tracking tracks for my band for live performance, comprised of some drum machine bits, some keys, a few odds and ends. Many of these tracks are stereo, and a few take advantage of panning automation. But as performance time comes closer, I'm aware that many club PAs will be set up in mono and that FOH may only want a mono signal. I'll be running these tracks out of an apogee duet, and within the set all tracks are routed to the master which I have been running in practice in stereo through outputs 1 and 2.

Is adapting this to a mono scenario going to be as simple as changing the master output to 1, and just feeding the club a signal from this output? Or will I be losing half the information?

dunno why mono vs stereo vexes me so...

Mr Man

Re: running a liveset in mono

Post by Mr Man » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:31 pm

The utility plug in the audio effects has a mono preset you could drop on the master. I think a lot of club mixers have a button to convert to mono too.

zwolf

Post by zwolf » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:24 am

Great suggestion, thanks!

Sage

Post by Sage » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:43 am

zwolf wrote:This is really basic....

So I have a large ableton project, essentially backing tracking tracks for my band for live performance, comprised of some drum machine bits, some keys, a few odds and ends. Many of these tracks are stereo, and a few take advantage of panning automation. But as performance time comes closer, I'm aware that many club PAs will be set up in mono and that FOH may only want a mono signal. I'll be running these tracks out of an apogee duet, and within the set all tracks are routed to the master which I have been running in practice in stereo through outputs 1 and 2.

Is adapting this to a mono scenario going to be as simple as changing the master output to 1, and just feeding the club a signal from this output? Or will I be losing half the information?

dunno why mono vs stereo vexes me so...
Never had an issue with FOH wanting a mono signal and always send a stereo signal to them.

nemoy

Post by nemoy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:45 pm

another thought here:

Does playing a set with mono channels only
reduce the cpu load? (i mean genuine mono channels, not the utility on master thing)
and by how much?

I mean many times it's really not that important in a club to have much of a stereo image.
If that could save a few % of CPU, it could be worth a try..

anybody ever did this?

TheNobleNemesis

Post by TheNobleNemesis » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:38 pm

Well, in theory, you're still playing two channels, but instead of Left and Right, it's two of the same. I could be wrong about this, but I don't think you'll save any CPU with this method.

nemoy

Post by nemoy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:32 am

hmm.. sounds logical...

keeping source samples mono would probably allow
to put more of the used audiofiles into your RAM though...

I'll have to check that one day, if it has any influence on the performance...

Thanks for the Idea!