Converting a PC LIVE file to mac

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cubbie

Converting a PC LIVE file to mac

Post by cubbie » Thu May 26, 2005 5:57 pm

Does anybody have any feedback...I run live on a PC but I have a new ibook g4 to run my live show..I like PCs but I was very weary of PC laptops, and the XPC laptop was expensive.

I have noticed right away that it does not like my files i made on the pc..the whole file goes poof.

It will read some of the wave files but mysteriously not all of them.

I know there are different types of wav files, but it seems to read the ones I did in LIVE 4.0 but not the ones i have done recently in 4.1.2

should i just convert everything to AIFFs and redo the sequences...

since there are thousands of you mac guys using LIVE somebody should have something to offer on this point.

robin

Post by robin » Thu May 26, 2005 6:04 pm

Live has no trouble reading aiff and wav from either type of machine in my experience.

maybe you have some other problem?

cubbie

Post by cubbie » Fri May 27, 2005 12:17 am

isnt there more than one type of wav files...I know this gets confusing...

What about the live files itself..does a project done of the pc load properly on a mac

mikHATz

Post by mikHATz » Fri May 27, 2005 6:45 am

never had any trouble either. Dont understand the prolem your having as well, my friend and i collaborate all the time, him on a mac, me on a PC.

mik

borg

Post by borg » Fri May 27, 2005 11:38 pm

cubbie wrote:isnt there more than one type of wav files...I know this gets confusing...
What about the live files itself..does a project done of the pc load properly on a mac
you have 8, 16, 24, 32,... bit wav/aif files, but that's not too relevant concerning your issues. Live reads all (?, if not, more than enough) bit depths...

if your live sets only have ableton fx/instruments, then there should be no problem. i recently replaced a pc for a mac. i rendered all tracks with vst(i)s that were not available on mac (and all the other tracks as well, but kept the originals). it were 150+ tracks and have been doing other stuff than music the last two months, so i haven't tested them all, but these are my findings:

*all sets having only ableton fx/instruments, or nothing at all, just audio files, open up without any problems. no searching for files, presets or anything. open a file and there it is, just like it was on my pc
*sets having vsts, available for both platforms, opened fine too, except the vst gui settings seemed correct, but not the actual settings. selecting the controls and using the arrow keys (left, right) will make the controls jump to the correct settings. save and all is like before...
i gotta admit, i saved some of the pc vst presets, but haven't had a look at them in the two months of working with the mac. i know some vsts are completely compatible, presets and all, some are not. destroy fx is very clear on this regarding their plugs. au and vst equivalents don't seem compatible at all. hardly surprising.
* sets containing vsts i didn't care/forgot to install opened, you guessed it, fine as well, just a clear, consise message 'xxx vst is missing...', click ok, and the set is there, just without the missing plug.

last weekend, i got a call from a friend as they needed a quick solution to their problem. he has this beautiful 16 track 2 inch tascam tape machine and they needed to transfer a tape to digital format.
no sweat for my powerbook, rme, and an additional 8ch ADAT convertor. went to the guy with the pc. connected his firewire HD to mine and within minutes 45 minutes of 16track were on this guy's pc. the times we live in... love it :twisted: and so many more things to come...

but anyway, as i was in a hurry, we didn't check the files... a day later a mail... 'my ableton live can't see the audio files...' a quick reply 'add .wav to every file' and all was up and running.
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800