The Great BitWig Migration

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

Will you leave Ableton for BitWig?

Nope, I'm staying right here.
50%
Yes, I'll be part of the great BitWig migration.
12%
Too soon to call, I'll wait and see.
28%
I intend to use both
10%

Total votes: 433

UncleAge

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by UncleAge » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:54 pm

You know, thing is I look forward to trying it but I can't buy it. It won't support AU's out the gate (maybe not ever?). One of my favorite plugs is Granite. I'm not ready to kick it to the curb just yet.

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:07 pm

It's way overpriced. 40 quid I'd have a gander. 400? lol, I can buy real things for that.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:03 am

lowshelf wrote:It's way overpriced. 40 quid I'd have a gander. 400? lol, I can buy real things for that.
For your information, the pricing is 299 Euro or £245. $400 is US dollars.
It's on part with the rest, and since they will be adding in their own version of Max For Live as well as the fact they have a pretty renowned synth and sampler guy on board I would expect that Bitwiig will eventually compete pretty fairly with Suite, which is a lot more that £245.

I do think if they were smart they would have an introduction competitive upgrade at the least. Say $299 USD or £180 or so.
£40 isn't feasible after two years with no profit. These guys aren't millionaires like the guy from Cuckoos Reaper. :|

Junosynth

Post by Junosynth » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:43 am

I'm going to try it out and will migrate if it's good enough. So far it seems to have a lot of things I've been wanting from Live. Like multiple projects open at the same time and a easy method to transfer audio between them. And the Session/Arranger combined view is something I've always wanted. It looks a lot better too. Yeah I know this shouldn't matter but Live just looks so plain and boring. I'm a visual person and need pretty screens/colors to help inspire. Anyway I can't wait to try it out!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:50 am

I must be the only person that just loves the way live looks.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:46 am

eyeknow wrote:I must be the only person that just loves the way live looks.
I don't mind lives look at all. I prefer a darker skin but I don't see Figwigs doing anything ground breaking-ly different in the looks department other than some different eye shadow.

There is always the possibility that as soon as it's released Ableton will sue for copying the interface and layout like Apple like to. I will register on their forum so I can see how long it takes for someone to complain about "Why Live can do something so basic and BigRig can't".

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:58 am

The short like I know of is

-no multiout vsts (which I'm assuming mean MT is is a mess/if doable)
-no groups/folders of any kind
-no groove tool/pool/etc
-no rewire (please don't mention that pathetic workaround, it's NOT the same

And for mac

-no AU

Those first three are CRITICAL for me. I don't even know what else is missing. Do they have racks? I can't remember. That would be another critical one for me especially since getting push.

I dunno, to those who want it, terrific.

hec

Post by hec » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:41 am

mholloway wrote:why are we even discussing this, didn't you hear the man? bitwig is OBJECTIVELY better than Live, and that is not an opinion. no room for discussion, then... let's all move along and leave Hec to his masturbatory certainty.
Certain features are objectively better on both ends. The ones I mentioned happen to be what Bitwig does objectively better than Live. Do you want to argue that NOT having layered editing is better? Is in your opinion a meta date browser worse than Abletons browser? Is being able to edit within a clip not objectively better than not?

Enlighten us all with your masturbatory uncertainty.

blakjesus

Post by blakjesus » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:48 am

hec wrote:Enlighten us...
Who are these magical companions of yours? :mrgreen:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:06 am

you're wrong there :)

hec

Post by hec » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:12 am

blakjesus wrote:
hec wrote:Enlighten us...
Who are these magical companions of yours? :mrgreen:
I don't understand this comment. You don't offer anything except an attempt at being funny. I'm actually asking for an opinion because maybe I'm missing something. Maybe yes or no is easier?

Layered editing: Ableton doesn't have it. BitWig does. Do you prefer not having it?

Yes or No

Metadata-based browser: Ableton doesn't have it. BitWig does. Do you prefer not having it?

Yes or No

Audio clips with multiple audio events: Ableton doesn't have it. BitWig does. Do you prefer not having it?

Yes or No

2+2=4

Yes or No

Objectivity not Opinion.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:38 am

hec wrote:Objectivity not Opinion.
You realize you just posted some things Bitwig does that Live doesn't four posts after someone else posted some things Live does Bitwig does not do? Bitwig is by that very fact not objectively better, but subjectively better. If you need or want the things Bitwig can do you will subjectively like Bitwig better, not objectively.

To clarify, if Bitwig offered everything that Live currently does, plus the list you mentioned, plus was at least as stable, then you could say it is objectively better.

And if you think this conclusion is baiting you, this is your first post in this thread about this "objective" opinion.
hec wrote: It may be too early to tell but right now BitWig is doing everything Ableton does and much better.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:44 am

blakjesus

Post by blakjesus » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:52 am

Machinesworking wrote:You realize you just posted some things Bitwig does that Live doesn't four posts after someone else posted some things Live does Bitwig does not do? Bitwig is by that very fact not objectively better, but subjectively better. If you need or want the things Bitwig can do you will subjectively like Bitwig better, not objectively.

To clarify, if Bitwig offered everything that Live currently does, plus the list you mentioned, plus was at least as stable, then you could say it is objectively better.
This is exactly what I wanted to say, but:

1.) I no can word good
2.) I was debating whether a troll post like this is worth the energy

Please learn the difference between objective and subjective. I would also like to hear what you have to say about the things Live does do better as mentioned by the others here. (I'd also like to include that Bitwig doesn't have controller with anywhere near the integration as Push and probably won't for a long time)

P.S. My comment was also a reference to the fact that you chose the Ableton forum for this post.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:01 am

+1 here, but I would love to see an option for a more modern and fresh looking GUI, while preserving the classic GUI as a choice.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums