The Great BitWig Migration

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

Will you leave Ableton for BitWig?

Nope, I'm staying right here.
50%
Yes, I'll be part of the great BitWig migration.
12%
Too soon to call, I'll wait and see.
28%
I intend to use both
10%

Total votes: 433

andydes

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by andydes » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:04 am

I'm not so worried about feature lists, but how it all fits together. Is it intuitive and inspiring (sorry if that sounds a bit wanky).

Being able to see what's happening on other clips without constantly doing screen grabs would be good though.

Question for any beta testers-

I know Bitwig can open multiple sets for copy /paste stuff. But can you mix between sets? And can you load and close sets whilst running audio seamlessly without glitches?

Because for anyone playing live, being able to play what you like without a metaset would

OBJECTIVELY BE A FUNDAMENTAL GAME CHANGER UNDER THE EYES OF OUR LORD

lowshelf

Post by lowshelf » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:57 am

Machinesworking wrote:For your information, the pricing is 299 Euro or £245. $400 is US dollars.
Thanks for the info. That's better, but I still get this Crystal Method feeling about Bitwig (v1). Being a newer/better version of the Chemical Brothers is not all that big a deal.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:16 am

hec wrote:Well folks, it looks like the time is almost here.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PantsDown

Post by PantsDown » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:50 pm

I know it makes f*ck all difference to making music... but I wish Ableton looked more modern and shiny.. Logic X looks really nice now, and from the screenshots Ive seen of Bitwig that seems to look good too...

But... Ive no intention of shelling out a few hundred knicker just for that alone!

Samuel L. Jizzle

Post by Samuel L. Jizzle » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Logic X is a joke. The majority of its native plugins aren't retina, which ridiculous given that the rest is, and setting up the most basic routings, as per Live's groups, is so complicated, I wouldn't even count it as a feature. Add to that its semi-integrated drive towards skeuomorphism, and you have yourself one helluva mess.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:37 pm

Samuel L. Jizzle wrote:Add to that its semi-integrated drive towards skeuomorphism, and you have yourself one helluva mess.
:x

I like skeuomorphism in a DAW. Live looks like a schematic sheet married to a low level Access database.

Logic’s main GUI problem is the minuscule controls on its built-in instruments and more elaborate effects and I think it’s inexcusable that they added new instruments that don’t have that problem but they couldn’t be bothered going back over their old instruments with a redesign to match. It’s a graphics rewrite, not rewriting the entire instrument from scratch. FFS. :x

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:37 pm

Samuel L. Jizzle wrote:Logic X is a joke. The majority of its native plugins aren't retina, which ridiculous given that the rest is, and setting up the most basic routings, as per Live's groups, is so complicated, I wouldn't even count it as a feature. Add to that its semi-integrated drive towards skeuomorphism, and you have yourself one helluva mess.
^^^^^ Logic beats the shit out of Live when it comes to global key commands, so Logic is objectively better! :twisted:

blakjesus

Post by blakjesus » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:05 pm

beats me wrote:Live looks like a schematic sheet married to a low level Access database.
I'm actually in the camp that thinks Live looks great. Sure, it doesn't have all the eye candy of other DAWs, but I feel like all the information you need is right here and clearly laid out. (especially in a live scenario)

ze2be

Re: The Great BitWig Migrati

Post by ze2be » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:30 pm

blakjesus wrote:I'm actually in the camp that thinks Live looks great. Sure, it doesn't have all the eye candy of other DAWs, but I feel like all the information you need is right here and clearly laid out. (especially in a live scenario)
Session view with its vector style gui is perfect to me, but arrangement view could use a little face lift. Its very lego'ish and blocky for the eyes.

I think frames and fades are looking better in Live then in BitWig. BitWigs fades look like toy fades. Lives are more "pro" looking in that you get different grid views and info boxes if you drag the fades out. Thats the beauty og vector graphics, it scales fluidly. I love EQ8 in Live 9 for this reason. They shold have done the same thing somehow with racks.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:34 pm

Modern and shiny? What the hell does that have to do with making quality music?

Live looks perfect IMO. It's focused entirely on functionality and getting work done. I could care less about UI glitz and glam, it is absolutely useless and no I do not buy that it somehow aids productivity because it 'looks' nicer. Bitwig looks far more distracting to me, for example, with the stark contrast between oranges and blacks (ugh). I'll take Live's UI over bitwig anyday.

as for Logic....Logic gives you fucking drawings of drummer's heads now. WOOO IMPORTANT.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

andydes

Post by andydes » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:35 pm

ze2be wrote: BitWigs fades look like toy fades. Lives are more "pro" looking
:lol:

That was a joke, right?

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:39 pm

andydes wrote:
ze2be wrote: BitWigs fades look like toy fades. Lives are more "pro" looking
:lol:

That was a joke, right?
Nope! Its my honest opinion! :D
I havent tried the BitWig beta though so I might very well be wrong. But just judging by looks. All imo ofc.

PantsDown

Post by PantsDown » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:01 pm

mholloway wrote:Modern and shiny? What the hell does that have to do with making quality music?
Pantsdown wrote:I know it makes f*ck all difference to making music... but I wish Ableton looked more modern and shiny..

xbitz

Post by xbitz » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:13 pm

PantsDown wrote:
mholloway wrote:Modern and shiny? What the hell does that have to do with making quality music?
Pantsdown wrote:I know it makes f*ck all difference to making music... but I wish Ableton looked more modern and shiny..
Cubase 7.5 looks nice currently, if u can live without the session view (and M4L) :roll:

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/140227/cubase_ww ... es.hu_.jpg

features :?: it has some :
http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/shootout/

PantsDown

Post by PantsDown » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:25 pm

Nah I like Ableton, invested time and money into it, does everything I need it to do... just wish it didn't look like excel 97 hahaha