The Great BitWig Migration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Will you leave Ableton for BitWig?

Nope, I'm staying right here.
50%
Yes, I'll be part of the great BitWig migration.
12%
Too soon to call, I'll wait and see.
28%
I intend to use both
10%

Total votes: 433

Tarekith

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by Tarekith » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:48 pm

The Finn wrote:I don't know what an 'audio engine' is, but FWIW, Tarekith had some interesting comments on BW's audio performance: viewtopic.php?p=1582684#p1582684

His actual blog is here: http://bit.ly/1l10U8K
For those that didn't pick up on the sarcasm, that post was a joke. :)

Good interview with Dom at Bitwig about the delays and other interesting stuff:

http://thefrontliner.com/interviews/sfo ... ilms-43051

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:31 pm

UncleAge wrote:There is nothing scientific about the poll, however... As of this post a little better than 50% of the respondents have a neutral or optimistic view of BWS from the information they have gleaned from where ever. Now there are a ton of factors at play here and I don't think anything negative about Live can be distilled from those percentages, however I do think that it speaks volumes about Bitwig's chances.
You may not feel anything negative about Live from those percentages, but look what eyeknow had to say about Live's audio engine in another thread :lol: .....
eyeknow wrote:It's 20-40% worse than bigwigs.
viewtopic.php?p=1582684#p1582684
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:25 pm

[ontopic] I'd like to try linux with the release of Bitwig...Which distribution is recommended for audio-stuff? [/ontopic]

xbitz

Post by xbitz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:31 pm

#1thelark wrote:[ontopic] I'd like to try linux with the release of Bitwig...Which distribution is recommended for audio-stuff? [/ontopic]
from bitwig faq : Ubuntu 12.04 - http://bitwig.com/en/faqs.html - sys req.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:46 pm

kb420 wrote:
UncleAge wrote:There is nothing scientific about the poll, however... As of this post a little better than 50% of the respondents have a neutral or optimistic view of BWS from the information they have gleaned from where ever. Now there are a ton of factors at play here and I don't think anything negative about Live can be distilled from those percentages, however I do think that it speaks volumes about Bitwig's chances.
You may not feel anything negative about Live from those percentages, but look what eyeknow had to say about Live's audio engine in another thread :lol: .....
eyeknow wrote:It's 20-40% worse than bigwigs.
viewtopic.php?p=1582684#p1582684
:lol: The 20-40% joke is the oldest (and bestest) of them all. The history behind it can only be understood if you were there. It is, and will always be, the most INFAMOUS thread in DAW history! (bitwig ain't got NOTHING on that old sonar thread.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:37 pm

If Push works just as well with Bitwig would that sway more people over, or at least shut down the “Push and Live combo is indispensable!” people?

I’m going to assume Push is going to work well with Bitwig, if not on release day, than soon. They seem quite eager to support all controllers and beyond just basic functionality.

panten

Post by panten » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:33 pm

Interesting question beats..

I foresee good things down the road.

The big question mark for me is 'What form will it's sampler take?' If it's anything like Live's Sampler, in that it cannot actually sample then it'll be pretty disappointing. If there is another method for sampling and piping that sample to devices in an elegant way then I'll be intrigued.

Junosynth

Post by Junosynth » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:58 am

UncleAge wrote:
The Finn wrote:
UncleAge wrote:That isn't bad odds for a startup.
And it could be an indication of some real dissatisfaction among Live's core users.
It could. I could see some of that as people liking the new coat of paint, or maybe they like getting in at the ground level so they can grow with the app, especially since this may be the time the dev is most open to input. Who knows...

This is sort of the situation with me. I'm still new to the whole Music Production game so I'm not as advanced as a lot of guys/girls here that know what they need out of a DAW. So the thought of starting with a new DAW V.1 and learning more as it evolves seems really cool. Also I only have 1 1/2 songs on Live so far, the rest are just ideas. So it wouldn't be that much of a loss if I did switch over. Still though, I will have to try it out and will hold on to my Live License for now.

Hopefully when it comes out people will start posting reviews/information on everything that's missing from Live so I'll have a better idea what I could be missing.

su

Post by su » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:36 am

panten wrote:Interesting question beats..

I foresee good things down the road.

The big question mark for me is 'What form will it's sampler take?' If it's anything like Live's Sampler, in that it cannot actually sample then it'll be pretty disappointing. If there is another method for sampling and piping that sample to devices in an elegant way then I'll be intrigued.
You would think Bitwig would be quite solid in the sampler area given that Claes, the developer of Surge and Shortcircuit is one of the Bitwig developers.

Chingy

Post by Chingy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:02 am

Just watched all the Bitwig videos - seems pretty full-featured? Can't see what it is missing from Live. Why would anybody who knows about it buy Live before March 26th?

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:46 am

Chingy wrote:Just watched all the Bitwig videos - seems pretty full-featured? Can't see what it is missing from Live. Why would anybody who knows about it buy Live before March 26th?
I must say that I agree, compared with Ableton™, BitWig™ looks incredibly user friendly© and powerful©! I will definitely buy it as soon as it is released and would recommend anyone doing the same! It will change the way you make music forever!*

-A (soon to be) satisfied customer

*May or may not permanently modify the way you (the customer) create music for an indefinite amount of time.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:47 am

I'm not saying anything is WRONG with bitwig, but there are things I must have that bitwig doesn't do (aren't those already listed??? )

But this is about MIGRATION, though I'm sure some will, I think most won't. Nice and neat with a bow :mrgreen:

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:24 pm

eyeknow wrote:But this is about MIGRATION, though I'm sure some will, I think most won't. Nice and neat with a bow :mrgreen:
I agree that most who have Live 9 won't migrate to a version 1 BWS. I can't say the same for the folk who didn't upgrade from 8. Especially those who had suite and M4L already. I'm one of those users and I am not looking to replace Live. However, I didn't see enough in the 9 upgrade to make it worth my while.

I don't think there's anything special about this update versus others. There are always users that sit out a cycle or two. Only difference this time is that there is BWS sitting there at only $100 more than the undiscounted upgrade price. And that's retail. I'm pretty sure the KVR marketplace will have a few of them up for sale within a couple weeks of release at a decent discount.

Great migration? Not yet.

jbw

Post by jbw » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:17 pm

BoddAH wrote:Yeah but can you draw cool pictures like this with BitWig?

BitWig and Live both gotta have more cowbell... If they wanna compete with the big boys:

Not Daft Punk

Post by Not Daft Punk » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:16 pm

>Using Bitwig

>Not being a faggot

Choose one
bitwig master race