The Great BitWig Migration

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

Will you leave Ableton for BitWig?

Nope, I'm staying right here.
216
50%
Yes, I'll be part of the great BitWig migration.
52
12%
Too soon to call, I'll wait and see.
121
28%
I intend to use both
44
10%
 
Total votes: 433

dna598
Posts: 828
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:42 am

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by dna598 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:08 pm

Timbeaux wrote:Let's see what will happen :)

http://www.google.de/trends/explore#q=b ... ton&cmpt=q

I added fl studio as a search term to that and have now come to realise that they actually rule the roost. 8O
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

Angstrom
Posts: 14680
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by Angstrom » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:09 pm

eyeknow wrote:I didn't even make coffee when I woke up, made popcorn instead. You can't PAY for this kinda entertainment!
Oh me too.
I love the collision of entitlement and delusion. Just amazing unintentional comedy.

Its too similar AND not similar enough. It took too long to make a version thats nearly like version 9 of another program, this is not allowable, we want the equivalent of 10 versions in those 4 years. I am a modern prince and I simply absolutely cannot work with this version one software which has been available for 8 hours. The lack of feature X is unforgivable in software I never intended to buy, so I hope they die in hell becaus... Oh, there it is. Well anyway, nuendo had that already.

jasefos
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:31 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by jasefos » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:19 pm

su wrote:
jasefos wrote:
You actually use in-built DAW content?
LOLz ...

I make my own sounds, unique for every tune - on hardware synths normally (tweaked via CTRLR panels).

Included content means absolutely nothing to me.
Yeah, well I make all my own sounds, unique for every tune, by flagellating parts of my body and sampling them with a portable cassette recorder from 1973. Phhhht. Hardware synths. Noob.
That's right ... I'm a total n00b!
You must know me well!
;)
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:23 pm

included content pfft! that's for people who want included content. i make my sounds with pots and pans. synths are so 80's... like wearing leg warmers when you mix or a ponytail to the side when you post. i will look down upon you from my self created mountain of pretentiousness.

in the future all DAWs will fit on 3 floppy disks. together.

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:29 pm

Angstrom wrote:
eyeknow wrote:I didn't even make coffee when I woke up, made popcorn instead. You can't PAY for this kinda entertainment!
Oh me too.
I love the collision of entitlement and delusion. Just amazing unintentional comedy.

Its too similar AND not similar enough. It took too long to make a version thats nearly like version 9 of another program, this is not allowable, we want the equivalent of 10 versions in those 4 years. I am a modern prince and I simply absolutely cannot work with this version one software which has been available for 8 hours. The lack of feature X is unforgivable in software I never intended to buy, so I hope they die in hell becaus... Oh, there it is. Well anyway, nuendo had that already.
pfft popcorn!

i eat the souls of men sprinkled with included content from past DAWs.

kb420
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Cydonia on the 4th Planet

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by kb420 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:30 pm

H20nly wrote: i make my sounds with pots and pans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YigV_PsQejM
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

UncleAge
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:50 pm

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by UncleAge » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:31 pm

I like it. Well at least there are things I like about it. I really like its piano roll. Feels as easy as the FLS piano roll and better than the other hosts that I have used (sonar, reaper, live, project 5, energxt, podium, acid and s1). It's all subjective though.

Biggest surprise so far? Not being able to size the tracks to a custom height. In arrange view you get two choices. The other issue has to do with importing multi-track midi files, there are issues.

At this point a demo is as far as I can go until they make some improvements. I'm not sacrificing folders or midi routing or proper support for multi-out vst's. So the next milestone will be how quickly they address some of the bigger issues.

Am I migrating? Not yet. Am I leaning that way? Probably. Even if I did buy it, BWS and Live would both have to exist on my system for a couple of major versions before I would ditch one or the other. I'm still not upgrading to Live 9. However 10 could reel me back in. With that said the advantage here for me is BWS just from my few hours of demo this morning. But its not a $400 advantage. As a matter of fact, in its present state or soon to be state I think $150-$200 would have been more appropriate.

Good foundation but now its time to see if they get those updates out in a timely fashion. I don't think they have met the mark of grabbing Live users in mass. But the last update from Ableton didn't do it for me. So unfortunately BWS has my undivided attention.

yur2die4
Posts: 6453
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:02 am
Location: Menasha, Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:33 pm

You guys are all a joke. I train animals.


To make noises triggered by electric impulses. These are then recorded on tape for that classic warm analogue tone. Finally I cut the tape into little pieces with my niece and we dance around wearing them as tiaras to add that special seasoning. Play the spliced tape back into a toilet bowl to make Phil Spector shit himself. This is all on one-track btw. It sounds like a combination of Stockhausen's Kontakte and Darude's Sandstorm.

Brb, my agent is calling me about a gig

Edit: okay I'm back. I guess my next show will be recorded in a vacuum chamber. Hoover or Dirt Devil????
Last edited by yur2die4 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jasefos
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:31 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by jasefos » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:33 pm

H20nly wrote:included content pfft! that's for people who want included content. i make my sounds with pots and pans. synths are so 80's... like wearing leg warmers when you mix or a ponytail to the side when you post. i will look down upon you from my self created mountain of pretentiousness.

in the future all DAWs will fit on 3 floppy disks. together.
I like your vision of the future!
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

jbodango
Posts: 521
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:25 pm
Contact:

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by jbodango » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:34 pm

Five minutes in.

Tried to drag in some of my samples... They are 96k 24bit wav files. The waveforms don't show up. Can't preview them either. Same files work just fine and dandy in ableton, pro tools and adobe.
Tried dragging a few other wav files that were different bit rates, which did show up.

Conclusion...
Check Minus.
Maybe I'm missing something?


Update: 7 minutes in Free update already available. Clicked yes redirected to a 500 error web page.

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:37 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Finally I cut the tape into little pieces with my niece and we dance around wearing them as tiaras to add that special seasoning.
do you use automation for this or does Live's PDC get in the way causing you to be a fanboy for a different DAW long before its release date?
also, what bit depth is the tape?
how much latency does the tiara introduce?
is that niece 1.0, 2.0 or Thunderniece?

kb420
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Cydonia on the 4th Planet

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by kb420 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:39 pm

yur2die4 wrote:You guys are all a joke. I train animals.


To make noises triggered by electric impulses. These are then recorded on tape for that classic warm analogue tone. Finally I cut the tape into little pieces with my niece and we dance around wearing them as tiaras to add that special seasoning. Play the spliced tape back into a toilet bowl to make Phil Spector shit himself. This is all on one-track btw. It sounds like a combination of Stockhausen's Kontakte and Darude's Sandstorm.

Dude! You have to put up a youtube video of this!!!! :D :D :D
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

jasefos
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:31 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by jasefos » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:43 pm

UncleAge wrote:I like it. Well at least there are things I like about it. I really like its piano roll. Feels as easy as the FLS piano roll and better than the other hosts that I have used (sonar, reaper, live, project 5, energxt, podium, acid and s1). It's all subjective though.

Biggest surprise so far? Not being able to size the tracks to a custom height. In arrange view you get two choices. The other issue has to do with importing multi-track midi files, there are issues.

At this point a demo is as far as I can go until they make some improvements. I'm not sacrificing folders or midi routing or proper support for multi-out vst's. So the next milestone will be how quickly they address some of the bigger issues.

Am I migrating? Not yet. Am I leaning that way? Probably. Even if I did buy it, BWS and Live would both have to exist on my system for a couple of major versions before I would ditch one or the other. I'm still not upgrading to Live 9. However 10 could reel me back in. With that said the advantage here for me is BWS just from my few hours of demo this morning. But its not a $400 advantage. As a matter of fact, in its present state or soon to be state I think $150-$200 would have been more appropriate.
.
Agreed! $400 is steep for an incomplete unproven version 1 DAW.
Folders - essential.
MultiOUT virtual instruemnts - essential.
Tracks not vertically resizeable - FAIL.

To attract long-term Live heads they'll need to up their game!
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

c33
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:18 pm

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by c33 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:49 pm

I haven't downloaded the demo but apparently there's a demo noise? And no save and export? Major first impression fail.

jasefos
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:31 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by jasefos » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:54 pm

c33 wrote:I haven't downloaded the demo but apparently there's a demo noise? And no save and export? Major first impression fail.
Hardly an opportunity to demo IMHO.
Live offers 30 days of full functionality (perfect demo policy) - FAIL.
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

Post Reply