The Great BitWig Migration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Will you leave Ableton for BitWig?

Nope, I'm staying right here.
50%
Yes, I'll be part of the great BitWig migration.
12%
Too soon to call, I'll wait and see.
28%
I intend to use both
10%

Total votes: 433

eyeknow

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by eyeknow » Mon May 19, 2014 6:11 am

Sure :mrgreen:

More power to 'em, gotta love the bitwigers.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon May 19, 2014 6:51 am

eyeknow wrote:Sure :mrgreen:

More power to 'em, gotta love the bitwigers.
Are we livers? Do we go well with fava beans and Chianti? 8O
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVlkZVAw8Gc

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon May 19, 2014 4:20 pm

Angstrom wrote:I will don my suit of righteous armour, my cape of indignation, and my fingerless gloves of really typing a lot. I will drink deep from the cup marked "Stuff I thinks", my nostrils flare, my pupils dilate, my jimmies rustle.
I will stop at nothing until My Correct Opinion is accepted by all and the Fedora of True Facts is placed on my head, crowning me as the one true rightful king of all things which are Objectively Correct.
picturing you in this outfit makes me :lol:

i think the "great Bitwig migration" ended when the sheep got to the fence.

greener grass?
nom nom nom

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon May 19, 2014 6:48 pm

H20nly wrote: i think the "great Bitwig migration" ended when the sheep got to the fence.

greener grass?
nom nom nom
It is strange how this stuff works though. I open the demo and it does seem a bit like Christmas.
The brain, if not completely appalled by the fact that Bitwig is also a clip launching DAW etc. has this whole 'new bling' part for sure.

I sincerely am happy that Bitwig left out major parts of what I use Live for. It makes the choice easy for me. I can't use a DAW that doesn't have basic rewire, and I've worked in AU for years now, that's another PITA, basic controller functions for the Remote SL left out is the full on deal killer.

The grass is not always greener, but I am happy that Ableton have competition. Maybe in a couple years Bitwig will be real competition for me, It's always possible Ableton follow a path that I'm not interested in and Bitwig do? I'm not a loyalist by any means. Too many ways these things can pan out. Found that out the hard way swearing loyalty to Logic, then having it be a bug ridden mess at 7.0 for about a year. :evil:

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon May 19, 2014 9:43 pm

I agree with much of that. I admit, I'm relieved to some degree that bitwig isn't all it's cracked up to be. Like you said, makes the choice easy.

But there is always this: I would like to see daws take a step up.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon May 19, 2014 11:40 pm

eyeknow wrote:
Word! A DAW that hit every single UI element, that only implemented a feature as a premium, and concentrated on the actual sequencer and performance parts rather than plug ins would get my attention. Not saying that it has to b simple, but once you really know it, the interface shouldn't get in the way. It often feels like navigation in all the daws out there is an afterthought.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue May 20, 2014 12:36 am

Machinesworking wrote:
eyeknow wrote:
Word! A DAW that hit every single UI element, that only implemented a feature as a premium, and concentrated on the actual sequencer and performance parts rather than plug ins would get my attention. Not saying that it has to b simple, but once you really know it, the interface shouldn't get in the way. It often feels like navigation in all the daws out there is an afterthought.
I think it is hard for most companies to change their GUI even sometimes when it is clearly for the better. You always risk alienating your users who became used to those sometimes backwards way of doing things.

It is much easier satisfying most people with a new plug-in than an overhaul of the Arrangement View GUI.

deva

Post by deva » Tue May 20, 2014 1:00 am

Machinesworking wrote:
eyeknow wrote:
+1

I find Live frustrating... not that I don't like and use it successfully, but I really have no interest in the added libraries and add-ons... I want the core functions to get better, more fluid etc. There are so many little enhancements to sequencer, clips, clip launching, follow actions, scene follow actions etc that could happen. Then there is just having the timing really tight and solid for software/hardware and so on.

I had a small hope that Bitwig would be that...

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue May 20, 2014 2:26 am

Now, how would I be able to use the maserati drm plug that is 29 bucks just for today w/o multiple vst outputs :roll:

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Tue May 20, 2014 5:38 pm

I actually switched to bitwig. its odd cause I used to have a sense of "belonging" (not finding the right word) to this forum, and now I feel like I turned my back on you guys. Its hilarious in a way.

What I think is really nice, in bitwig you have no redundance (right word?). Take lives sampler, it has many different pages, lfos etc. in bitwig its just one page, not cluttered at all, but you still can do everything that you can do in live (at least I think so), much faster and everything is at sight.

The concept is just better in general. Its incredibly well thought through. With the nektar panorama they have a controller that is as deeply integrated in bitwig as push is in ableton.

Im a bit torn now to post this link below, on the one hand I still have some love for ableton as a company and their forum might not be the ideal platform for this, on the other hand im just sharing information with the people I always have been exchanging this kinda stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKoVJfqm31s
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue May 20, 2014 5:53 pm

I don't get the whole "switching" thing.

I've been using Logic X more than anything lately because I've been doing a lot of live recording and film work with sample libraries and I have always liked Logic's workflow better for those areas.

Live is still my go to for making weird sounds though, and probably always will be since M4L exists.

Also just recently got Studio One Professional 2 really cheap and I could see myself using it for some projects.

I'm really interested in Bitwig Studio 2.0 for the modular environment.

Tools is tools. It's not a political party or a sports team.
Unsound Designer

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Tue May 20, 2014 5:54 pm

thats true, but Im not a pro, it doesnt make sense for me to own both. sold live, bought bitwig.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue May 20, 2014 8:50 pm

You can't win the internet unless you collect them all!

I was going to do an "x all the host" meme but it's telling me it might harm my computer so I guess memes are not out. I know, I know, it's gonna be hard for you guys. We'll get through it somehow. I believe in you!

I joke around but host switching is quite common. I'm stuck with live and studio one because they work. I don't have to beta test the things to find bugs. Not that bitwig isn't, but for my needs I've just gotten to where these work, so I'll stay put.

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Wed May 21, 2014 5:03 am

Wow, that's quite some tight integration.Almost as tight as Maschine, especially with that LCD.Nice.

To think you can have the same integration level with Reason on the same keyboard, i feels a case of GAS coming :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed May 21, 2014 5:52 am

stringtapper wrote:I don't get the whole "switching" thing.

I've been using Logic X more than anything lately because I've been doing a lot of live recording and film work with sample libraries and I have always liked Logic's workflow better for those areas.

Live is still my go to for making weird sounds though, and probably always will be since M4L exists.

Also just recently got Studio One Professional 2 really cheap and I could see myself using it for some projects.

I'm really interested in Bitwig Studio 2.0 for the modular environment.

Tools is tools. It's not a political party or a sports team.
If you eventually start using Studio One instead of Logic 99% of the time, then you've switched. :x

I hear you though, mostly I've picked up or dropped a DAW because it outgrew it's use for me. Logic and Reason are examples. although I would never knock either, they both have really great features, I just find DP and Live to be what works fore me now.