The Great BitWig Migration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Will you leave Ableton for BitWig?

Nope, I'm staying right here.
50%
Yes, I'll be part of the great BitWig migration.
12%
Too soon to call, I'll wait and see.
28%
I intend to use both
10%

Total votes: 433

Tagor

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by Tagor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:12 pm

I don`t see any BigWig-Migration Movement - the only place where people migrate is from ukraine to russia.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:14 pm

H20nly wrote:included content pfft!
i didn't know there was spectral devices in live instruments.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:17 pm

i don't even need a software DAW. i make all the music in my mind. Live has Retina support when i use it... and Bitwig has a 100% satisfied userbase.

wanna hit this?

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:24 pm

yes it has some drawbacks, but I like the way you edit stuff. This is key to me. The holy workflow.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:27 pm

c33 wrote:I haven't downloaded the demo but apparently there's a demo noise? And no save and export? Major first impression fail.
No demo noise that i have noticed.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:16 pm

# Leaked documents

Code: Select all

Ableton Live Internal Memo - 25th March 2014
>Subject: Bitwig, and those fucking idiots on our forum

Hey Gerhard, Yes, they are still talking about it. But hopefully with Bitwig being released tomorrow our subnormal users  will at least migrate to the Official Bitwig forum over on KVR. God damn their nonsensical idiot ramblings. Have you read some of it, frankly it's laughable. Well, we'll finally hear the last of this damn software.  Isn't it enough to be buried under half formed opinions about our own wonky DAW, now we have to suffer this indignity too? 
- 
#

Ableton Live Internal Memo - 26th March 2014
>RE: RE: Bitwig, and those fucking idiots on our forum

They are still fucking going on about it. I suggest turning the XML-RPC server off and on again. At least that gives us 20 minutes of peace.
- 

deva

Post by deva » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:33 pm

UncleAge wrote:
c33 wrote:I haven't downloaded the demo but apparently there's a demo noise? And no save and export? Major first impression fail.
No demo noise that i have noticed.
There is no demo noise. I posted that there was because I did not realize some of my vst plugins have reverted to demo mode in Bitwig. I assumed the noise was from Bitwig.

deva

Post by deva » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:35 pm

Okay, have spent a couple hours with Bitwig and while there are some really cool features, I have found a lot of stuff I use regularly in Live that is not there in Bitwig.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:44 pm

deva wrote:Okay, have spent a couple hours with Bitwig and while there are some really cool features, I have found a lot of stuff I use regularly in Live that is not there in Bitwig.
There seems to be a lot of people who share your opinion on the KVR forums!
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

pelsik

Post by pelsik » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:51 pm

after 2 hours on the demo my honest not too biased opinion:

short version: better than expected but missing key basic features

i know a couple people were saying earlier they wouldn't switch because they don't want to learn a new DAW. ill start by saying the transition is almost seamless after a hour or less of tinkering any Ableton user will feel comfortable enough to make legitimate song. the interface is honestly ableton but a few things moved around

the pluses:
1) multiple audio in 1 clip (downside tho will explain late)*
2) 32/64bit internal bridge is big for me
3) cutting/splitting audio and midi
4) cool plugins like one that lets you put multiple instruments/vst in 1track and let's you blend them or automate to transition between each other
5)opening multiple projects at once

the negative (why ableton has nothing to worry about atleast with version 1)
1) no freezing
2) no legitimate cpu monitoring
3) no markers
4) no true in-clip automation/modulation for volume/pan
5) no grouping (live's grouping isn't good but its better than none)
6) no tap tempo
and those are just the ones i noticed

and it crashes 3rd party plugins often but that'll be fixed soon, probably (easy re-load but still annoying)

and quirky things: from what i can tell, the zoom is unified if you zoom out in 1 clip you zoom out in all clips for everything including notes (even in session view)not a deal breaker but quirky

overall i actually really liked it, the GUI is better than live (at first i thought the opposite but side by side bitwig looks way better). its not going to replace ableton or come close but i actually enjoyed using it, it's easy to use and has the comfort ability and familiarity of ableton.

hopefully ableton starts incorporating some of these features ..competition is always a good thing for the consumer
Last edited by pelsik on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:56 pm

H20nly wrote:included content pfft! that's for people who want included content. i make my sounds with pots and pans. synths are so 80's... like wearing leg warmers when you mix or a ponytail to the side when you post. i will look down upon you from my self created mountain of pretentiousness.

in the future all DAWs will fit on 3 floppy disks. together.
:lol:

And remember, NEVER use presets!

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:59 pm

yur2die4 wrote:You guys are all a joke. I train animals.

To make noises triggered by electric impulses. These are then recorded on tape for that classic warm analogue tone. Finally I cut the tape into little pieces with my niece and we dance around wearing them as tiaras to add that special seasoning. Play the spliced tape back into a toilet bowl to make Phil Spector shit himself. This is all on one-track btw. It sounds like a combination of Stockhausen's Kontakte and Darude's Sandstorm.

Brb, my agent is calling me about a gig

Edit: okay I'm back. I guess my next show will be recorded in a vacuum chamber. Hoover or Dirt Devil????
You could sell that!

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:01 pm

kb420 wrote:
H20nly wrote: i make my sounds with pots and pans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YigV_PsQejM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjgNSLH2C9g
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:02 pm

Angstrom wrote:# Leaked documents

Ableton Live Internal Memo - 25th March 2014
>Subject: Bitwig, and those fucking idiots on our forum

Hey Gerhard, Yes, they are still talking about it. But hopefully with Bitwig being released tomorrow our subnormal users  will at least migrate to the Official Bitwig forum over on KVR. God damn their nonsensical idiot ramblings. Have you read some of it, frankly it's laughable. Well, we'll finally hear the last of this damn software.  Isn't it enough to be buried under half formed opinions about our own wonky DAW, now we have to suffer this indignity too? 
- 
#

Ableton Live Internal Memo - 26th March 2014
>RE: RE: Bitwig, and those fucking idiots on our forum

They are still fucking going on about it. I suggest turning the XML-RPC server off and on again. At least that gives us 20 minutes of peace.
- 
I fucking cried laughing!!!!!!!!

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:06 pm

Ts am at that point where I need to buy it in order not to loose my current project lol.

Read there were some crashes on vsts, mine are working great, assigning lfos to them works better than in live, where the load on the cpu is much greater.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software