The Great BitWig Migration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Will you leave Ableton for BitWig?

Nope, I'm staying right here.
50%
Yes, I'll be part of the great BitWig migration.
12%
Too soon to call, I'll wait and see.
28%
I intend to use both
10%

Total votes: 433

Logan.mccallum

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by Logan.mccallum » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:10 pm

At least the didn't pull an Ohm Studios on us. Though at first I was hostile to Bitwig even existing now I can see that they have valid goals in mind and are hopefully trying their best. Unfortunately between the long wait and several other issues, it might take a long time for them to really get going, if they ever do at all.

I don't mean to be disrespectful to the developers of Bitwig, but they are promising a lot in 2.0 that seems as though itshould already be dealt with. As an example, (not sure if this is a 2.0 thing or not) no rewire support? I wonder what the reasoning there is.

If nothing else I like Live a little more, and as a shameless Ableton fanboy, I didn't think that was possible.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:12 pm

I think this quote from KVR's forum pretty much says it all.
macbeat wrote:Bitwig came into the gladiator's arena today like a 13 year old with down syndrome holding a thermos filled with chocolate milk.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:19 pm

As far as I'm concerned this period right now might as well be an open public beta. No way I am pressing the buy button on an untested piece of code. The last time I did that was when I bought Live 8. It took Ableton over a year to fix the mess. Now that pissed me off and that was ridiculous. I will never do that again with any company.

But This? This is the first day of a long trip and only seems outrageous because of the fanboys on each side of the fence. If anything it speaks to how important beta testing is. I'll bet Bitwig won't make this mistake again though. I wonder how many sales did they make today? I wonder how many did they lose?

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:20 pm

Logan.mccallum wrote:At least the didn't pull an Ohm Studios on us. Though at first I was hostile to Bitwig even existing now I can see that they have valid goals in mind and are hopefully trying their best. Unfortunately between the long wait and several other issues, it might take a long time for them to really get going, if they ever do at all.

I don't mean to be disrespectful to the developers of Bitwig, but they are promising a lot in 2.0 that seems as though itshould already be dealt with. As an example, (not sure if this is a 2.0 thing or not) no rewire support? I wonder what the reasoning there is.

If nothing else I like Live a little more, and as a shameless Ableton fanboy, I didn't think that was possible.
That's just it. They were talking about version 2 a year ago :? So I think the criticism comes with the territory.

njh

Post by njh » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:20 pm

I dont understand why they would leave out vertical zooming. :? :? :?

Fuck being able to see things -bitwig

What is with so many of you acting overly shocked that people are venting?
"im going to stuff my face with popcorn and watch deez foolz" There are more of you pop corn eaters who 'cant believe' then their are people venting. You would think after 9 releases of live you would get used to people venting or being fan boys.
Its a forum on the internet.. this was basically made so people can have their opinions.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:22 pm

UncleAge wrote:As far as I'm concerned this period right now might as well be an open public beta. No way I am pressing the buy button on an untested piece of code. The last time I did that was when I bought Live 8. It took Ableton over a year to fix the mess. Now that pissed me off and that was ridiculous. I will never do that again with any company.

But This? This is the first day of a long trip and only seems outrageous because of the fanboys on each side of the fence. If anything it speaks to how important beta testing is. I'll bet Bitwig won't make this mistake again though. I wonder how many sales did they make today? I wonder how many did they lose?
I dunno.

BTW, I've done that MANY times. Used to be you couldn't demo everything. Logic pro comes to mind ( and my version cost a WEE bit more than current users can get it ;) )

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:25 pm

njh wrote:I dont understand why they would leave out vertical zooming. :? :? :?

Fuck being able to see things -bitwig

What is with so many of you acting overly shocked that people are venting?
"im going to stuff my face with popcorn and watch deez foolz" There are more of you pop corn eaters who 'cant believe' then their are people venting. You would think after 9 releases of live you would get used to people venting or being fan boys.
Its a forum on the internet.. this was basically made so people can have their opinions.
:lol:

I think some people (for a variety of reasons) don't quite understand certain things ;)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:25 pm

How is it on Linux? It'd be amusing if all the people crying for Linux usage went for the Win/Mac versions first hah.

Would Linux as an OS have any unique advantages as a DAW host? I don't know anything about it. I just find it curious that they support it.

Plus it'd be a unique point in their favor I guess.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:31 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Would Linux as an OS have any unique advantages as a DAW host?
it runs lite on resources... but one could argue that OS X is akin to Linux... they're both based on Unix.

UncleAge wrote: I'll bet Bitwig won't make this mistake again though.
they can't, they only get one first day.

unless, of course, half their team leaves to open a new DAW company :idea:

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:33 am

I was so excited by the promise of Bitwig. So:

- Downloaded it.
- Made a quick drum clip with their drum machine.
- Pressed play.
- No play.
- Saw all transport buttons greyed out.
:cry:

So I tried something else:

- Added location to Sound Content Location.
- It crashed.
- Now it crashes as soon as I open the program.
:evil:

But, I love the splash screen and the GUI. Might take a screen shot of them to use as my desktop wallpaper.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:44 am

There's definitely some nice ideas in the program, I'd love to see the modulation aspects in live as well as the parameter feedback. Still feeling my way around though, I don't want to make any more judgments than that.

It definitely shows how polished and smooth Live is though.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:04 am

Well for a version 1, compared to a version 9, it's still pretty worthy.

I played with it more; it's good at warping, maybe more accurate than Live.
The LFO Audio rack is nice because anything in it is easy to link to one of the LFO's and it's nice that you can switch between Bipolar or not.
One big WTF is the longest the LFOs run for are 2 bars. W T F
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

dboy

Post by dboy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:07 am

Still feels pretty Beta to me. Not worth the asking price at this point.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:07 am

Agrred
ImageImage

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:15 am

EDIT: Now that I think about it, maybe that wasn't so bad. I mean, live was probably laughed off by some as they continued to grow and kinda started leaving some others behind. Acid was prolly the market they were after primarily.

Yeah, you make a good point, cheers!