The Great BitWig Migration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Will you leave Ableton for BitWig?

Nope, I'm staying right here.
50%
Yes, I'll be part of the great BitWig migration.
12%
Too soon to call, I'll wait and see.
28%
I intend to use both
10%

Total votes: 433

re:dream

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by re:dream » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:22 am

People leave software companies all the time. The BW guys wanted to try out some ideas on their own. Why shouldn't they? They parted w Live on good terms. And clearly Abe's has not entered into any LoT agreements with them. If BW is nicer, it would be silly to refuse to switch on grounds of principle. No principle has been violated.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:24 am

daddytang wrote:the problem is abes wont listen to customers.the Devs at bitwig heard the call and acted. demand and supply. economics...
Well, like I said in the previous post, I became re interested in live when the first beta x64 stuff came out (8.4) and it's improved quite a bit since then. Lots of fixes, lots of new stuff. So, it's not that they don't listen.

There are things that I really wish they'd get around to. After all the hosts I've been through stability and ability are the two main things. I can no longer get caught up in the notion that they MUST cater to my needs. I can only go by a law of averages.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:25 am

The Finn wrote:People leave software companies all the time. The BW guys wanted to try out some ideas on their own. Why shouldn't they? They parted w Live on good terms. And clearly Abe's has not entered into any LoT agreements with them. If BW is nicer, it would be silly to refuse to switch on grounds of principle. No principle has been violated.
I both agree and disagree. I think the market could clearly use stimulation, I think that bitwig is a little TOO much like live ;)

daddytang

Post by daddytang » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:34 am

why does it matter if bitwig is like live? if the tools are all there and are better formulated to make music why should it matter? I purchased Live 9 after 5 years of using a cracked copy because it rocks. If bitwig gives us really cool tools why should we not support it? although it may take me another 5 years to save.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:40 am

eyeknow wrote:
daddytang wrote:the problem is abes wont listen to customers.the Devs at bitwig heard the call and acted. demand and supply. economics...
Well, like I said in the previous post, I became re interested in live when the first beta x64 stuff came out (8.4) and it's improved quite a bit since then. Lots of fixes, lots of new stuff. So, it's not that they don't listen.

There are things that I really wish they'd get around to. After all the hosts I've been through stability and ability are the two main things. I can no longer get caught up in the notion that they MUST cater to my needs. I can only go by a law of averages.
Agreed here!

Much of their lack of addressing many issues has been because of 2 of the biggest developments of the last 2 years. A 64bit architecture and the Push controller. Your average Joe wouldn't be able to understand just how huge a task both these things would be but possibly the complete silence in this period is what caused many grief.

Ableton have addressed quite a large number of bugs and features that people have been struggling with. Sure no PDC yet but that is probably another huge task which they are working on but I know that many of the issues I was having are solved... BUT I actually take the time to contribute, raise tickets, test and feedback what I can because I personally want to help make this software better. Much of the effort is just in every day usage anyway.

I think many of the kids are just a touch spoiled and I am sure once the sugar coating starts to dust off the new bitwig thing you will see the same types of issues and complaints that all software companies face.

How long before we see a question on the bitwig forums "why can't bitwig do this when Ableton can..."

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:33 am

lolzes, oh......we're going to see MANY bitwig threads :lol: ^^

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:55 am

k, the bitwig side is looading loooong now, seems they are doing something now :)

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:57 am

and there it is ... no demo atm just a website

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:01 am

Demo is there, there is big fat button on the right saying "DEMO" - i d'led it already :)

But where can i d/l the manual ?

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:02 am

how big is the demo?

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:08 am

124 or 125 MB which is kinda surprising, given that the minimum req specs say "5GB disc space".

Also, as i'm still on Vista i can't install the sucker (Vista tells me i need a newer service pack version to install it or something) :(

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:10 am

their page is currently down, I guess they are uploading it now.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:11 am

As said, i've already downloaded it..

EDIT: Just saw on the site it says that a PDF version of the manual is included in the download, good to know :)
Last edited by beatz01 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:13 am

KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

dna598

Post by dna598 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:17 am

well, i just added my hd to the "places" in Bitwig browser. Now im stuck in an endless crash loop on startup. great start!

edit: give it a chance!
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection