The Great BitWig Migration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Will you leave Ableton for BitWig?

Nope, I'm staying right here.
50%
Yes, I'll be part of the great BitWig migration.
12%
Too soon to call, I'll wait and see.
28%
I intend to use both
10%

Total votes: 433

kb420

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by kb420 » Fri May 02, 2014 3:27 pm

H20nly wrote:The circle is complete.

"Always, two there are. A Master, and an Apprentice."

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri May 02, 2014 3:28 pm

On the subject of the time it took to develop and release Bitwig:

I am working on a software project of my own, it's just me and a friend working on it. It's about 1000 times simpler than a DAW.

The time elapsed since I first told friends I was starting on specification and preliminary coding and now, when it is still not ready for release : 7 years. Seven years. And it's nowhere near ready. It's changed frameworks, three times, it's developed mutated tentacles which have been amputated, and others have become the main branch and the original trunk is now just 10% of the project. Feature and scope creep of the worst kind.

Three years to make a DAW seems like god-level skills to me.

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Fri May 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Angstrom wrote:On the subject of the time it took to develop and release Bitwig:

I am working on a software project of my own, it's just me and a friend working on it. It's about 1000 times simpler than a DAW.

The time elapsed since I first told friends I was starting on specification and preliminary coding and now, when it is still not ready for release : 7 years. Seven years. And it's nowhere near ready. It's changed frameworks, three times, it's developed mutated tentacles which have been amputated, and others have become the main branch and the original trunk is now just 10% of the project. Feature and scope creep of the worst kind.

Three years to make a DAW seems like god-level skills to me.
how very true

tezza

Post by tezza » Fri May 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Live could be the ideal DAW. They just need to keep everything they have and steal the right features and add them in.

What the fuck are PDCs????????????

Yay acronyms...

TTOZ

Post by TTOZ » Fri May 02, 2014 7:24 pm

eyeknow wrote:
Tarekith wrote:I guess I'm one of the few people who didnt expect too much out of Bitwig. I don't mean that as a put down, but it was a first release and while ambitious, software always takes time to mature and refine. I used the demo quite a bit to check things out, and I ended up coming away rather impressed overall. Definitely missing a lot of features people are used to, but there's a solid foundation there already and some huge potential for killer features if they can pull it off.

Either way the groundwork is laid and overall I think it looks pretty positive. I hope for everyone's sake (I agree competition is good) that it goes well for them and they push the boundaries a bit. Quite honestly DAW updates lately for all the major players have been boring at best, I'd love to see someone really mix things up like is happening on the iOS side of music software. The remaining players are all too big to take any real chances on innovation anymore it seems like. :(

That said, Live is still currently a more mature, stable, and fully featured platform for writing music. Far more resources, many years of revisions and bug fixes behind us, and a lot of support from hardware companies too. Hard to argue with that. :)

Oh, and I might have said it before, but after using Bitwig for awhile, I was surprised there's still so many comparisons with Live. I get some of the visual simularities, but overall they felt like totally different programs to me. Workflow, sound, you name it, I never once found myself thinking "wow, they totally ripped off Ableton". A few borrow ideas sure, but no more than other companies used when making linear style DAWs.

Just my $.02 though.
Interesting. I think it's quite a bit like live. There is no surprise that it's both similar and different to me.

My problem with the whole bitwig thing is that from the first working alpha to the "release" was 2 and a half years. I have a tough time believing a group of guys that are brighter than me couldn't nail it more in that time. They put out that "in beta" at that time too, so, it's always rubbed me the wrong way. Sorry for those that don't relate but I'm pretty sure it has put some people off.

I'd like to have the fire lit too. Though we live in wondrous times with tech, I feel the arena is slightly stagnant. I think though that unfortunately, other host are kinda lolzing so far. Not much of a fire, some nice things I'd like to have, but very half-baked.
This is why i have NO faith in them. They were not some noob startup, they were ex ableton programmers who already knew what they were doing, so coming from programming a major DAW was *already* a MASSIVE starting advantage.

And this is what they deliver? LMAO. This is why i say before it is competitive, it will be another 5 years at least, simply going from their current timeframe. But by then everything else will have leapfrogged it once again

Studio one was competitive at version 1.0 and now is as good and better in some areas as any major player. Yet can be had for very reasonable prices and with a full mastering suite built in also. Bitshit for 400 bucks? 4 0 0 ? It makes me quiver with laughter. It's like play school vs an IQ of 200.

It's so basic, it reminds me of something a child might design. It's fair to compare it more along the lines of the old ejay stuff, or currently, something like magix music maker. That sort of thing and price range. Yet some people are still falling for their nonsense. It's as if they believe the hype that was building and have it implanted firmly in their minds that BW is the best thing since sliced bread, and wearing rose coloured glasses, when in reality it's just stale mould.

I actually can't believe some of the comments I read. "I just want multiple outs and it does everything i need". Seriously? I don't know why they need to spend 400 bucks then when obviously what they "need" can be covered by the $50 basic sonar. Maybe some are a glutton for punishment, i seriously do not get it at all. I don't understand why a single person would have spent 400$ on bitshit. it's the first release of any software that i can remember, that has been well received in general, with high praise magazine reviews, and already has a cult fan base, that has left me completely bewildered as to *why*.

I must admit it actually annoys me that they can release such garbage and people are lapping it up. Maybe they have a voodoo witch on their side LOL!
I am bitwig, pick me, pick me, i now hAs midi export!

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri May 02, 2014 8:55 pm

TTOZ wrote:Studio one was competitive at version 1.0 and now is as good and better in some areas as any major player. Yet can be had for very reasonable prices and with a full mastering suite built in also. Bitshit for 400 bucks? 4 0 0 ? It makes me quiver with laughter. It's like play school vs an IQ of 200.
There's not even a crossgrade discount. You can get Studio One 2 Professional for $299, and get a much more seasoned and stable product than Bitwig.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

TTOZ

Post by TTOZ » Sun May 04, 2014 2:00 pm

kb420 wrote:
TTOZ wrote:Studio one was competitive at version 1.0 and now is as good and better in some areas as any major player. Yet can be had for very reasonable prices and with a full mastering suite built in also. Bitshit for 400 bucks? 4 0 0 ? It makes me quiver with laughter. It's like play school vs an IQ of 200.
There's not even a crossgrade discount. You can get Studio One 2 Professional for $299, and get a much more seasoned and stable product than Bitwig.

Studio one middle grade (forget the name, the one that has the vst support but not the two track mastering) has been seen as low as $99 and is WAY ahead of bitshit.

Presonus often have sales and the big one can be had for 199 or less :) Studio one works very well with Live through rewire :)
I am bitwig, pick me, pick me, i now hAs midi export!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun May 04, 2014 2:44 pm

I also get very very emotional and angry about products I have no interest in and don't own. This is logical. You want to hear my opinion about JVC televisions ?!?..!111

Fucking JVShit is what I call them because I'm so fucking disinterested in tracing every single aspect of them. Do you hear me? Jvshit? i have no interest in so called JVC . I could buy a sony tv, which I also will not buy. But it is so much better than jvshit the tv I neither own, nor care about at all, some people might say I have INVESTED FAR TOO MUCH MENTALLY in a product I neither own, or am interested in, and to them I say "jvshit". Thats what I call 'em. I haaate them. Hate them. Grrrr. Fuckers. Fuckers.

I'm just sick of people talking about jvcshit as if it doesn't hurt me, personally, as the proud purchaser of a somewhat related product. Dont they understand I purchased a different product by a different company??!!1! Thats why it's a personal insult to me and my family to hear about JVCshit, when I'm here with my Samsung which works PERFECTLY apart from one or two flaws. . SO I have literally no interest, no interest at all in this product. There is literally no reason for me to even be thinking about it. Or them. Jvcshit I call em. Fuckers. Fuck with me. Fuckers.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sun May 04, 2014 3:30 pm

8)

Spot on Mr Angstrom

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sun May 04, 2014 3:45 pm

TTOZ wrote:Presonus often have sales and the big one can be had for 199 or less :) Studio one works very well with Live through rewire :)
I think I just missed the last one. How often do they have these sales? Do they advertise them?
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Sun May 04, 2014 5:44 pm

kb420 wrote:
TTOZ wrote:Presonus often have sales and the big one can be had for 199 or less :) Studio one works very well with Live through rewire :)
I think I just missed the last one. How often do they have these sales? Do they advertise them?
Usually every 6mo or so, seems more often recently though. I think they've started to split up their sales more into one for new purchases, and one for upgrades. They advertise them on their site and through emails. Usually if they have a sale partners also do like audiodeluxe, jrr, etc. The last email/post/whatever I saw from presonus made it sound like they have something planned for cinco de mayo, so you may be in luck on monday

deva

Post by deva » Sun May 04, 2014 6:34 pm

TTOZ wrote:
kb420 wrote:

Studio one middle grade (forget the name, the one that has the vst support but not the two track mastering) has been seen as low as $99 and is WAY ahead of bitshit.
Wow... I didn't know that Studio One had a clip launcher and an integrated modulation system with every device having dedicated Macros...

tezza

Post by tezza » Sun May 04, 2014 11:13 pm

deva wrote:Wow... I didn't know that Studio One had a clip launcher and an integrated modulation system with every device having dedicated Macros...
I looked into Studio One v2, and I didn't see any clip launching. No one seems to be talking about it having done a quick google to find out about it :/
I have Sonar X3 and it's clip aunching is shyte. They should not have bothered. Ableton still king of the hill for that - esp if you have PUSH or APC 40. I reckon Create in Ableton, finish in Studio ONE Pro (with it's mastering). Akai should do themselves a favor and go around implementing APC 40 support in all the major DAWs, not just LIVE. It's a wasteland outside of Ableton for APC 40 owners. Of course Buttwig does not support it...

This guy reviews it coming from an Ableton / Propellerheads backround.
http://www.crossfadr.com/2013/07/05/eas ... -2-review/

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sun May 04, 2014 11:19 pm

tezza wrote:
deva wrote:Wow... I didn't know that Studio One had a clip launcher and an integrated modulation system with every device having dedicated Macros...
I looked into Studio One v2, and I didn't see any clip launching. No one seems to be talking about it having done a quick google to find out about it :/
I believe that deva was being sarcastic. Everyone knows that Studio One doesn't have those features.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

timday

Post by timday » Sun May 04, 2014 11:26 pm

Angstrom wrote:I also get very very emotional and angry about products I have no interest in and don't own. This is logical. You want to hear my opinion about JVC televisions ?!?..!111

Fucking JVShit is what I call them because I'm so fucking disinterested in tracing every single aspect of them. Do you hear me? Jvshit? i have no interest in so called JVC . I could buy a sony tv, which I also will not buy. But it is so much better than jvshit the tv I neither own, nor care about at all, some people might say I have INVESTED FAR TOO MUCH MENTALLY in a product I neither own, or am interested in, and to them I say "jvshit". Thats what I call 'em. I haaate them. Hate them. Grrrr. Fuckers. Fuckers.

I'm just sick of people talking about jvcshit as if it doesn't hurt me, personally, as the proud purchaser of a somewhat related product. Dont they understand I purchased a different product by a different company??!!1! Thats why it's a personal insult to me and my family to hear about JVCshit, when I'm here with my Samsung which works PERFECTLY apart from one or two flaws. . SO I have literally no interest, no interest at all in this product. There is literally no reason for me to even be thinking about it. Or them. Jvcshit I call em. Fuckers. Fuck with me. Fuckers.
There should be a "like" button here for stuff like this.