The Great BitWig Migration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Will you leave Ableton for BitWig?

Nope, I'm staying right here.
50%
Yes, I'll be part of the great BitWig migration.
12%
Too soon to call, I'll wait and see.
28%
I intend to use both
10%

Total votes: 433

Angstrom

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by Angstrom » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Responses from the internet, people who over-identify with software corporations

25th March 2014: Bitwig is the same as Live, so I don't need it. The added features are dumb.

26th March 2014: Bitwig is not the same as Live, WTF! I don't want it. The added features are dumb

12th January 2015: Live 10 has those Bitwig features now, anyway. The added features are great !
Last edited by Angstrom on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:31 pm

kb420 wrote:It seems so premature now, doesn't it?
now :?:

panten

Post by panten » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:45 pm

Angstrom wrote:Responses from the internet, people who over-identify with software corporations

25th March 2014: Bitwig is the same as Live, so I don't need it. The added features are dumb.

26th March 2014: Bitwig is not the same as Live, WTF! I don't want it. The added features are dumb

12th January 2015: Live 10 has those Bitwig features now, anyway. The added features are great !
..also are people looking for better solutions to make their life easier/more fun/more productive. The same thing happens across other software e.g. 3D Modelling where competition for new and innovative tools is fierce. It's inevitable and natural; if it wasn't, we'd still be driving around on horse and cart ;)

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:48 pm

unimpressed so far...
audio engine crashes galore with 3rd party plugins... (easy to get back on track by turning it back on.. but still a pain)
I'm using a Mavericks retina MBP with rme babyface

also .. why can't I add vsts from the context menu... only from the browser?

LFOs are 'containers' and can't be freely assigned.

lacking vertical zoom in arrangement..

clips in horizontal mode means you don't see enough of anything...clutter

some things are a bit more intuitive than live...
but overall I get a cluttered vibe..not even sure what I'm looking at most of the time..

browser on the right is not working for me.

I'll spend some more time with it.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:04 pm

alex808 wrote:max for live??? m4l is become a fuxxxxing business program ...
Do you mean as in more people try to make money from it than before when more people gave them away for free?
ImageImage

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:06 pm

How many of you guys remember Ableton Live version 1 ?
I read lots of hype in Sound on Sound magazine about how amazing it was.
I eventually tried Live version 2 and still said "I think I'll leave this a while"

I would like to thank all the purchasers of Ableton Live versions 1 & 2 for investing your time and money to get the product to where I could use it.

alex808

Post by alex808 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:13 pm

shadx312 wrote:
alex808 wrote:max for live??? m4l is become a fuxxxxing business program ...
Do you mean as in more people try to make money from it than before when more people gave them away for free?
yes...i know there is a lot of work but i prefer pay a reaktor device than m4l device...i spent 30 euro for autobeat...my step sequencer work better for what i need :)

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:20 pm

Oh well yeah 30 bucks, f that.
ImageImage

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:30 pm

Angstrom wrote:How many of you guys remember Ableton Live version 1 ?
I read lots of hype in Sound on Sound magazine about how amazing it was.
I eventually tried Live version 2 and still said "I think I'll leave this a while"

I would like to thank all the purchasers of Ableton Live versions 1 & 2 for investing your time and money to get the product to where I could use it.

I see ur intention to write this, but back in 2000 there was another time, when the wheel of daw's began to spin.

To be honest, atm iam not impressed. Especially the modulation isnt what i expected by the teaser vids. Also the layer edit modus will just edit "per instrument". I thought it means layered instruments..

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:35 pm

kb420 wrote:For $399 you only get 3 gigs of content in Bitwig Studio. Live Intro comes with 4 gigs!!!!! Smdh.
You actually use in-built DAW content?
LOLz ...

I make my own sounds, unique for every tune - on hardware synths normally (tweaked via CTRLR panels).

Included content means absolutely nothing to me.
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:58 pm

To be honest, I will indeed give the Bitwig demo a "spin" however like any version 1.0 software I have little doubt the ride will be very bumpy.

Bitwig vs Ableton situation = Cubendo vs StudioONE

I've been using Live since version 1.0, and since version 2.0 legitimately and onward. Prior to Live I was a 100% Cubase guy since 1991.
Once Live had ability to be a MIDI sequencer in version 4, I ditched Cubendo (yawn).

Most exciting to me with BitWig:
- multiple audio files within clips (i.e. like good old Parts within Cubase)
- editing multiple lanes of automation overlaid on each other
- 32bit/64bit plugin support (however since Live 9 I'm forcing myself to move on from old plugs for which there are no 64bit versions - sadly)
- Subjectively the GUI is refreshing.

What will win my loyalty (things missing from Live):
- TOP PRIORITY better MIDI editing functionality all-round (Live should NOT strip MIDI events out which it can't edit - e.g. SysEx. The synth world will never be 100% soft).
- audio comping functions comparable to Cubase (Live is seriously crap for comping vocals - Cubase SX2 onward had this seriously nailed [stacked looped recorded mode within a single track]).
- recursive groups (e.g. Folder tracks in Cubase could be nested as deep as required).
- proper groups/busses.
- Automation/MIDI clock to plugins gets proper PDC.
- a non-crippled Browser (Live 9 broke the browser so badly).
- multiple projects open simultaneously (although I love Live's ability to browse into projects and pull out elements of other projects into the current project).
- more than 6 slots for predefined MIDI controllers (I have Push, 3 x MCUs, TouchABLE, BCR2000 ... only 1 slot remains eeeek!)

I could care less about Audio from MIDI functions (when DOES that work well?), content (yawn), and in-built plugins (I prefer to use 3rd party plugins so I can remain a DAW slut).

Top priority for me - Live is a MIDI sequencer that can't do the basics an Atari running Notator or Cubase could do back in the 80s.
That's serious!
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:25 pm

jasefos wrote:
kb420 wrote:For $399 you only get 3 gigs of content in Bitwig Studio. Live Intro comes with 4 gigs!!!!! Smdh.
LOLz ...

I make my own sounds, unique for every tune - on hardware synths normally (tweaked via CTRLR panels).

wow. That's really great. I'm soo happy for you. You must be proud. congratulations. that's just awesome.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:58 pm

I didn't even make coffee when I woke up, made popcorn instead. You can't PAY for this kinda entertainment!

su

Post by su » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:03 pm

jasefos wrote:
LOLz ...

Yeah, well I make all my own sounds, unique for every tune, by flagellating parts of my body. Phhhht. Hardware synths. Noob.

su

Post by su » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:06 pm

jasefos wrote:
LOLz ...

Yeah, well I make all my own sounds, unique for every tune, by flagellating parts of my body and sampling them with a portable cassette recorder from 1973. Phhhht. Hardware synths. Noob.