The Great BitWig Migration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Will you leave Ableton for BitWig?

Nope, I'm staying right here.
50%
Yes, I'll be part of the great BitWig migration.
12%
Too soon to call, I'll wait and see.
28%
I intend to use both
10%

Total votes: 433

eyeknow

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by eyeknow » Sun May 04, 2014 11:43 pm

I get where Angstrom is coming from, but I get where 99% of where people are coming from.

Thinking there are many good points, but not everyone agrees.

login

Post by login » Sun May 04, 2014 11:51 pm

C'mon is the internet, Its all about the drama.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon May 05, 2014 12:00 am

da drama!!!!!!

TTOZ

Post by TTOZ » Mon May 05, 2014 1:20 am

deva wrote:
Wow... I didn't know that Studio One had a clip launcher and an integrated modulation system with every device having dedicated Macros...

oh WOW, bitshit can do two things studio one can't (where's the violin), and S1 can do 10 thousand that bitwig can't. LOL.

Not to mention stuff like Sonar, Logic, Cubase.. being more advanced again.

What is this obsession with using an integrated modulation system for completely ordinary on board devices? If you want real quality there buy propellerheads reason where every rack follows the same principle of routing and can do WAY more than bitshit can.

Or buy Mux.. a cheap plugin.. fully modular vst sub host for vst plugins.

Honestly, it's actually HILARIOUS that people overlook all of bitshit's never ending shortfalls because of a cool feature or two. Oh, sonar has a clip launcher . The basic sonar version is a far more compelling product than bitshit. Spend $99 ($50 often on sales) and get a real host. LOL.
I am bitwig, pick me, pick me, i now hAs midi export!

TTOZ

Post by TTOZ » Mon May 05, 2014 1:21 am

tezza wrote:
deva wrote:Wow... I didn't know that Studio One had a clip launcher and an integrated modulation system with every device having dedicated Macros...
I looked into Studio One v2, and I didn't see any clip launching. No one seems to be talking about it having done a quick google to find out about it :/
I have Sonar X3 and it's clip aunching is shyte. They should not have bothered. Ableton still king of the hill for that - esp if you have PUSH or APC 40. I reckon Create in Ableton, finish in Studio ONE Pro (with it's mastering). Akai should do themselves a favor and go around implementing APC 40 support in all the major DAWs, not just LIVE. It's a wasteland outside of Ableton for APC 40 owners. Of course Buttwig does not support it...

This guy reviews it coming from an Ableton / Propellerheads backround.
http://www.crossfadr.com/2013/07/05/eas ... -2-review/

of course, and unlike bitshit, you can use rewire to sync live and studio one in *perfect* harmony :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon May 05, 2014 1:30 am

When Studio One 1.0 Launched looked into it and it was too simplistic and incomplete for me.
I'm sure it's a great DAW by now 5 years after 1.0 was released and 8 years after the company/Studio One was announced.
^^^
That's roughly the same time for the announcement and 1.0 release of Bitwig.

To all the people saying Bitwig should be a fully featured bug free release, how many of you are coders?
Personally I don't do much complaining about the time it takes for coders to do things, because I'm not one.
It's actually sort of surprising how often people, myself included, find themselves being experts on things they are not capable of doing themselves.

This is all said without much of an interest in migrating to Bitwig.
For what I use Live for, v5 was good enough, although I love the program, I work in DP as well so I'm not craving anything new.
The only thing I can think of about the furious naysayers here is it seams to me you all thought that Bitwig would be ready enough to switch at 1.0 or you're mortally offended that another clip launching DAW was released. Both responses I actually find kind of hilarious in their bizarre emotional response to a product??

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon May 05, 2014 1:40 am

Angstrom wrote:I also get very very emotional and angry about products I have no interest in and don't own. This is logical. You want to hear my opinion about JVC televisions ?!?..!111

Fucking JVShit is what I call them because I'm so fucking disinterested in tracing every single aspect of them. Do you hear me? Jvshit? i have no interest in so called JVC . I could buy a sony tv, which I also will not buy. But it is so much better than jvshit the tv I neither own, nor care about at all, some people might say I have INVESTED FAR TOO MUCH MENTALLY in a product I neither own, or am interested in, and to them I say "jvshit". Thats what I call 'em. I haaate them. Hate them. Grrrr. Fuckers. Fuckers.

I'm just sick of people talking about jvcshit as if it doesn't hurt me, personally, as the proud purchaser of a somewhat related product. Dont they understand I purchased a different product by a different company??!!1! Thats why it's a personal insult to me and my family to hear about JVCshit, when I'm here with my Samsung which works PERFECTLY apart from one or two flaws. . SO I have literally no interest, no interest at all in this product. There is literally no reason for me to even be thinking about it. Or them. Jvcshit I call em. Fuckers. Fuck with me. Fuckers.
:D

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon May 05, 2014 1:42 am

This thread needs more cowbell. I'll have that on tuesday.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon May 05, 2014 5:53 am

- redacted -
Last edited by re:dream on Mon May 05, 2014 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

deva

Post by deva » Mon May 05, 2014 5:55 am

TTOZ wrote:
deva wrote:
Wow... I didn't know that Studio One had a clip launcher and an integrated modulation system with every device having dedicated Macros...

oh WOW, bitshit can do two things studio one can't (where's the violin), and S1 can do 10 thousand that bitwig can't. LOL.

2 huge things...

Basically, when it comes to session view, Live stands alone... That is a major reason why so many people use it even though it is weak in other areas. Bitwig is an exciting development because it offers an even better core clip launching function than Live (better integration between clip launcher and arrangement) and it has some other compelling features.

I haven't purchased Bitwig (yet) because it still needs plenty of work. Plenty of people who are interested in it and even bought it, understand it is a work in progress. There is a lot of continued interest in Bitwig even though it is still in a rough state because Live is the only other option and it has some frustrating flaws that may or may not be addressed in a timely manner. Studio One is not a viable Live replacement, and so it does not matter what features it has.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon May 05, 2014 6:28 am

I have studio one. I can work in it just fine. Take away the clip launching (which is more of playback thing to me) and it has a stable working base to get stuff done in.

Here's the bottom line. Many hosts are capable FEATURE wise of daw "a" but rarely are they super stable. The reason why live is my number one is stability AND it does what I want. Do I wish there were many other things that it would do? You betcha.

But a law of averages is important if you want to get things done....or simply jot an idea down.

My objection to bitwig is well noted so I'll spare rehashing them, but it wouldn't work for me, at least not currently. Regardless of WHY there was so much hype, there was. And it's a put off because as a consumer I have certain expectations. I know Angstrom made a funny comment about this but all that time, plus many mandatory features missing (for me admittedly) and people complaining about bugs/stability is kinda insane. If they would have released it earlier, w/o the attitude, and allowed the INEVITABLE problems to sort themselves out, I think many many people would have a different attitude.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon May 05, 2014 8:13 am

eyeknow wrote:Regardless of WHY there was so much hype, there was
This is actually quite an interesting question. Just why was there so much hype around BW?

Certainly not because of the marketing efforts of Dominik Wilms et al, which were very low key indeed.

My impression is that what happened was a lot of fantasy and wishful thinking on the part of users. A rumour went around that some guys had left Ableton and were going to head out on their own, and this happened at a time when there was a significant number of people who were feeling dissatisfied with Live / ignored by Ableton. I remember some people in the electronic music business here in Cape Town were instantly walking around saying authoritatively that BW would be the Next Big Thing - with absolutely no evidence.

So a whole bunch of people had greatly inflated (and in some cases, absurdly inflated) expectations. And when BW did not turn out to be the Magic Daw that could immediately do everything, there seem to be some with inflated levels of disappointment too.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon May 05, 2014 9:58 am

eyeknow wrote: I know Angstrom made a funny comment about this but all that time, plus many mandatory features missing (for me admittedly) and people complaining about bugs/stability is kinda insane. If they would have released it earlier, w/o the attitude, and allowed the INEVITABLE problems to sort themselves out, I think many many people would have a different attitude.
As mentioned Studio One took three years from inception, conversations, rumors etc. until release. The difference is the level of hype, and honestly an unrealistic attitude on the part of the end users. Studio One did not show up at 1.0 all perfect and stable, not on my system.

Seriously, a couple years from now I would expect Bitwig will be a formidable DAW. Live didn't eve have Virtual instrument hosting when it came out. that took until version 4 to come out.

Also, I don't think people realize this but the Bitwig team I'm certain couldn't just take huge chunks of code they did in Live and use it in Bitwig. It doesn't work like that. As people have mentioned Live is over ten years old, in the same time that Live went from version 8 to 9, Bitwig coded an entire DAW.

TTOZ

Post by TTOZ » Mon May 05, 2014 11:57 am

deva wrote:
TTOZ wrote:
deva wrote:

2 huge things...

Basically, when it comes to session view, Live stands alone... That is a major reason why so many people use it even though it is weak in other areas. Bitwig is an exciting development because it offers an even better core clip launching function than Live (better integration between clip launcher and arrangement) and it has some other compelling features.

I haven't purchased Bitwig (yet) because it still needs plenty of work. Plenty of people who are interested in it and even bought it, understand it is a work in progress. There is a lot of continued interest in Bitwig even though it is still in a rough state because Live is the only other option and it has some frustrating flaws that may or may not be addressed in a timely manner. Studio One is not a viable Live replacement, and so it does not matter what features it has.
Like i said for the price of bitwig you can have two daw's perfectly synced and actually capable. However, on it's own, Fine, it's a live performance tool then, but no daw.

The modulation thing is not a big deal *at all*. Where did this suddenly become a big thing? Reason has been doing that since version 1.0 and does it better than anything else ever will, and with an ever expanding library of on board devices and RE's. And the on board bitshit devices are just that, shit. I was laughing about how ordinary the factory synths and effects were. So who cares, i can route them in many ways, to blend shit with shit. LOL.

Or get mux and even though you can do less, at least do it with VST's.

SO we are back to one big thing. the clip launcher. I know sonar does it but I am not sure how as i haven't used that functionality. But i do know sonar basic entry level is a MUCH more capable and better DAW than bitwig. Sonar basic + ableton basic = half cost of bitwig and infinitely superior. Another example.

Bitshit has been marketed as an overall DAW, and it's just *not*. Well, not compared to anything else in the market, even n track (cues laughter). It's a basic, stripped down, ejay type music maker basic basic BASIC program. With 2 fancy features. LOL.

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon May 05, 2014 12:11 pm

as a programmer of 25 years I thought the pre-release claims were very ambitious and with hindsight far too ambitious