The Great BitWig Migration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Will you leave Ableton for BitWig?

Nope, I'm staying right here.
50%
Yes, I'll be part of the great BitWig migration.
12%
Too soon to call, I'll wait and see.
28%
I intend to use both
10%

Total votes: 433

TomViolenz

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by TomViolenz » Wed May 21, 2014 7:23 am

I've seen nothing that couldn't be done in Live and probably in pretty much the same way???

The only thing was that they don't have the script for Live ready yet as far as I understood.

Or did I miss something?!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed May 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
stringtapper wrote:I don't get the whole "switching" thing.

I've been using Logic X more than anything lately because I've been doing a lot of live recording and film work with sample libraries and I have always liked Logic's workflow better for those areas.

Live is still my go to for making weird sounds though, and probably always will be since M4L exists.

Also just recently got Studio One Professional 2 really cheap and I could see myself using it for some projects.

I'm really interested in Bitwig Studio 2.0 for the modular environment.

Tools is tools. It's not a political party or a sports team.
If you eventually start using Studio One instead of Logic 99% of the time, then you've switched. :x

I hear you though, mostly I've picked up or dropped a DAW because it outgrew it's use for me. Logic and Reason are examples. although I would never knock either, they both have really great features, I just find DP and Live to be what works fore me now.
That's true, Reason is an example of one where I eventually dropped it completely. They just didn't get to the audio recording in time for me not to bail. Reason ReWired into Live was a pretty powerful combo back in the day though.
Unsound Designer

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu May 22, 2014 3:48 pm

stringtapper wrote: That's true, Reason is an example of one where I eventually dropped it completely. They just didn't get to the audio recording in time for me not to bail. Reason ReWired into Live was a pretty powerful combo back in the day though.
Yeah, I used Reason 1.0 and DP on a 440GHz G4, and it's lean resources were amazing. That was kind of part of it though, the same leanness comes across as thin compared to NI, U-He, Xils, etc.

TTOZ

Post by TTOZ » Thu May 22, 2014 5:25 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
TTOZ wrote: I did none of that stuff, i only responded to personal attacks. Seems there are 4 people now who can't read, and little redream trying something cute with his pic again. He does it, now I do it. I did NOT START IT, I ONLY TALKED ABOUT BITWIG. That said, i am happy to finish it, as i am tired of forum trolls, unless ableton says otherwise.
Honestly, you got extremely angry because of me pointing out something blatantly obvious, you're overtly passionate about DAWs, you took that as a personal attack, and here we are.

I never added in demeaning language like you do to everyone who disagrees with you, "little redream" "diva" etc.
but yeah, other people are trolls, in fact numerous trolls have simply found your posts and singled you out because you're a troll magnet?
Of course eyeknow and you haven't argued about it cause you didn't single eyeknow out and start going on about his personal life and past history with software.
Yes, because making a light hearted attempt to defend you against a guy calling you a 13 year old is a mortal wound to your soul. Personal life? I know you're either Australian or from New Zealand, you have health issues, that's about it. How do you make this assumption that because you're asked to tone down your vitriol, with numerous forum posters chiming in, how do you go from that to this thought that other people are ruining the conversation? My favorite part of that, absolute favorite, is that when I point out that people shouldn't call you 13 years old etc. that you're just passionate about DAWs, you lose your mind. <--- and I'm a troll for doing so.

I don't think you're a bad guy, I've read your posts on KVR for years, but I do think you create a lot of drama. I hadn't read much of it before this, but I've seen your absolutely condemning posts against developers and in turn your arguments with people who like said developers/products etc.

Here's my suggestion, take it down a notch, there aren't any real trolls here, except Cperezzz.
There are people with a shorter fuse than KVR, because there's less moderation here than KVR. If you create "enemies" here, you will have to deal with them all the time. Conversely most people, myself included, do not give a fuck about one argument in one thread, and will continue to treat your ideas as independent thoughts. Regardless of this thread or any knowledge of your DAW hopscotching. The whole thing boils down to you. You're the one ramping it up, and by all means I think most of us would be just as happy to see you turn the faucet off.

We are all retarded here, no one is innocent, and in the end only a few who have issues with holding grudges. :x
Edit, so not worth it. You win and have the last word with my blessing.
I am bitwig, pick me, pick me, i now hAs midi export!

AdelaaR

Post by AdelaaR » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Having migrated to Bitwig myself a while ago, I must say I'm rather surprised by the amount of people claiming that Bitwig is a broken product that does not deliver.
In the last few months of using bitwig (from version 1.0.11 on) I haven't had one single hickup or crash.
Audio interface, Mackie control, midi keyboard, various VST's x32 & x64, ... it all simply works.
I'm sure some people want to do things that aren't implemented yet, but what people seem to forget is that this is a 1.0 product.
Was Ableton completely bug-free at 1.0?
Did it offer support for everything everyone wanted?
I didn't use Ableton back in those days but I'm sure the answer is: "no".
To each his own and I'm sure people have good reasons to use Ableton and not use Bitwig, but saying that it's not a good product is simply rubbish.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:44 pm

AdelaaR wrote:Having migrated to Bitwig myself a while ago, I must say I'm rather surprised by the amount of people claiming that Bitwig is a broken product that does not deliver.

Is the pre-count in the clip launcher still broken?

...Yes, it is.

Which renders the -entire program- functionally useless for my purposes. If I can't quickly record into matrix clips and keep everything sync'd, I cannot use the program... at all.

So, yeah, its still broken.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

timday

Post by timday » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:21 pm

Jesus, is this thread still going on?

Use Bitwig if you like Bitwig. Use Ableton if you like Ableton. If you can't decide try the demo versions and figure out which one you like. That is all.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:22 pm

well theres no point in buying it right now anyway if you dont need it immediately. They do have a sale planned fairly soon (as gleaned from some seller talk on kvr)
Last edited by ezelkow1 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:23 pm

hmmmm... no one had ever mentioned that it's a 1.0 product before. i'll definitely consider that for a moment the next time i fire up my DAW and not worry about it any more after that.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:43 pm

This thread is so much win.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:11 pm

it's been very OBJECTIVE right from the start.

beatz01

Post by beatz01 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:50 am

What's a Bitwig ?!

8O

alpertt

Post by alpertt » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:42 am

beatz01 wrote:What's a Bitwig ?!

8O
i think acronym of izotope beat tweaker.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:13 am

alpertt wrote:i think acronym of izotope beat tweaker.
nice one :)
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:26 pm

bitwig!? man, I just want to know when they are finally gonna release the damn thing! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir