The Great BitWig Migration

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

Will you leave Ableton for BitWig?

Nope, I'm staying right here.
216
50%
Yes, I'll be part of the great BitWig migration.
52
12%
Too soon to call, I'll wait and see.
121
28%
I intend to use both
44
10%
 
Total votes: 433

wehkah
Posts: 496
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:19 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by wehkah » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:41 am

designwebuk wrote:...

4. Sharper UI, Ableton does not seem as sharp in contrast to other DAW's - check if you have the zoom option changed / at 100% it should be sharp because Live is plain 2D
Ableton will implement some nice features in the future im sure. The Bitwig peepz dont have to build a new concept from ground up at all so maybe it seems a step forward these days. ;)

cheers
T
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

panten
Posts: 877
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:02 pm
Location: South of London

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by panten » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:15 pm

Bitwig - An education

Have I migrated? No

It's exciting and clever. I feel that they are doing the right thing and we're on the cusp of something great and what we're witnessing are the foundations, laid bare, and it's a beautiful sight.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=407102

crofter
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:35 pm
Location: The foot of our stairs

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by crofter » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:08 pm

Tried the demo, can't be arsed with it, I have enough software already.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

deva
Posts: 1685
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:32 pm

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by deva » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:25 pm

turning off a plugin device does not disable the cpu use...

Treshell
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:18 pm

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by Treshell » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:37 pm

deva wrote:turning off a plugin device does not disable the cpu use...

Sounds revolutionary. When will Live get this?

timothyallan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by timothyallan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:39 pm

Treshell wrote:
deva wrote:turning off a plugin device does not disable the cpu use...

Sounds revolutionary. When will Live get this?
I love that this is your 2nd post. You'll fit right in.

fishmonkey
Posts: 4233
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:47 pm

fishmonkey wrote:my favourite tragic irony so far is the fact that delay compensation for automation is actually a bit fucked up in Bitwig...
apparently they've tracked that bug down now, and it will be fixed in 1.04...

i feel sorry for those guys, given the massive list of bugs and omissions and features they have to work on. they must already be exhausted having made it to this stage.

deva
Posts: 1685
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:32 pm

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by deva » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:54 pm

fishmonkey wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:my favourite tragic irony so far is the fact that delay compensation for automation is actually a bit fucked up in Bitwig...
apparently they've tracked that bug down now, and it will be fixed in 1.04...

i feel sorry for those guys, given the massive list of bugs and omissions and features they have to work on. they must already be exhausted having made it to this stage.
But now they got some cash!!

panten
Posts: 877
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:02 pm
Location: South of London

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by panten » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:59 pm

i feel sorry for those guys, given the massive list of bugs and omissions and features they have to work on. they must already be exhausted having made it to this stage.
..and all this just to please a bunch of whiny kids on the web who probably will never buy their software anyway.

kb420
Posts: 2752
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Cydonia on the 4th Planet

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by kb420 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:30 am

timothyallan wrote:
Treshell wrote:
deva wrote:turning off a plugin device does not disable the cpu use...

Sounds revolutionary. When will Live get this?
I love that this is your 2nd post. You'll fit right in.
That's funken. he loves the word "revolutionary".
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

timothyallan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by timothyallan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:35 am

Well colour me embarrassed.

fishmonkey
Posts: 4233
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:38 am

i hope Bitwig survive but i think they have greatly underestimated the amount of blood sweat and tears required to build a Live-like DAW from scratch...

timothyallan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by timothyallan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:12 am

fishmonkey wrote:i hope Bitwig survive but i think they have greatly underestimated the amount of blood sweat and tears required to build a Live-like DAW from scratch...
They've done a -very- good job for small team and a 1.0 release.

fishmonkey
Posts: 4233
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:50 am

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by fishmonkey » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:19 am

timothyallan wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:i hope Bitwig survive but i think they have greatly underestimated the amount of blood sweat and tears required to build a Live-like DAW from scratch...
They've done a -very- good job for small team and a 1.0 release.
i agree that what they have achieved is admirable, i still think it is clear that they have underestimated things.

the question is can they build and keep the momentum needed to survive and/or thrive as a commercial product?

i hope so.

UncleAge
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:50 pm

Re: The Great BitWig Migration

Post by UncleAge » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:23 am

fishmonkey wrote:i hope Bitwig survive but i think they have greatly underestimated the amount of blood sweat and tears required to build a Live-like DAW from scratch...
I don't agree. This is one thing I think they do understand. The principle partners have been developing in this market for quite some time.

With that said I think their offering is a bit premature. I think they should have made the first appearances this year and spent some time smoothing a few basic things out before release. And it would have possibly been ready late summer.

I'm looking forward to whatever is the next major release, but I can't buy it at this point in time. I have done this before with energyXT and Podium and Tracktion. You put money down in hopes it will develop into the toolset you want/need. At $400 I can't afford to be that supportive and it be such a basic toolset.

No migration for me.

Post Reply