Ableton Live 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends

Re: Ableton Live 10

Post by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:36 pm

Last edited by ohigetbywithalittlehelpfrommyfriends on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilia

Post by ilia » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:18 pm

BEING ABLE TO LOAD MULTIPLE PROJECTS (e.g. separate tabs).

That and proper multi-take comping. Been waiting for those for 10 years now. C'mon.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:21 pm

ilia wrote:BEING ABLE TO LOAD MULTIPLE PROJECTS (e.g. separate tabs).
Bitwig does this :D

It's not quite as good as studio one (because you have to disable/enable the engine everytime you switch) but seems to work quite nicely.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:34 pm

The two things that slow me down are the browser and the GUI. I would like to sort the browser how I like it for instant access to stuff, and I'd like less clicks in the GUI.

When I start a new project, it feels like everything is hidden away and hard to access and I don't know where best to start, so I keep doing the same things over - open a 707 kit and start making a beat, then add sylenth. Then once I get into it, the midi editor keeps getting in the way and the tiny buttons in the corners are inconvenient.

Then there's the problem of seeing dark text/buttons when using a dark skin, which has been improved but still not fixed everywhere yet.

I guess the one huge improvement for me would be to have a customisable toolbar where you can can add ANY function/button, and the toolbar can be moved to any place in the interface. Imagine having the midi Velocity Editor, the Show/Hide Detail View, and the Browser buttons right in the middle of the screen where your mouse normally is.

Also, I'd love more midi editing features with a detailed toolbar that gives one click access to everything you want with one click. The duplicate function in the Notes toolbar is an example of such a huge improvement. :D More like that please!

Also, I'd like to have better control over the size of the midi editor. At the moment, I'm always resizing it. Much better if it adjusted itself to a logical size, e.g. big enough to fit all the currently used notes or the whole drum kit or if it could be fixed to one predetermined size or something like that. Have an option where you can choose your preference. Or you could have 4 buttons - full screen, half screen, 1/3 screen, 1/4 screen. And you could have two other buttons - all notes in view and all drums in view.

And I hate the wasted space above the Clip and Notes toolbars. I reckon they should be joined together - one above the other. And the browser should be resizeable to fit the entire vertical space while having the midi editor open. In other words delink the resizing of the browser from the session and arrangement areas.

Probably too hard to implement these ideas. It's better if you start building a DAW from scratch with functionality or features prioritised. I'd love a DAW that looked great and had fantastic basic functionality. They could cut cost and time by not having any instruments or effects. Just give us great midi and audio editing with a logical browser and excellent VST implementation and I'd buy it in an instant. I'd much rather spend $99 on a barebones DAW (and pay $25 per year for functionality improvements) and carefully add favourite VSTs, samples, and loops, than have a confusing mishmash of everything. No wastage, confusion, or obscurity. One day, I'll be rich and I'll pay someone to make such a DAW.

Oh, another thing: Have a button in the midi editor that lets you switch between sharps and flats! :D It's a nightmare working in Ab or something and having everything showing as sharps. :evil:

ilia

Post by ilia » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:12 am

eyeknow wrote:
ilia wrote:BEING ABLE TO LOAD MULTIPLE PROJECTS (e.g. separate tabs).
Bitwig does this :D
I know, that was their biggest selling point for me personally. So does Reaper, etc.

I do love Live and have used it daily for years, but sometimes this lack of attention to essential time-saving functionality like this can drive you to despair.
Last edited by ilia on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

uthemus

Post by uthemus » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:15 am

When will 10 be released is the real question...

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:21 am

They could release 10 tomorrow if they wanted :D

Would it have any new features? Probably not.

But you'd have your Live 10. So you can ask when 11 comes out.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:16 am

Oh I dunno, I thought 9 gave quite a few nice things. However, I got 9 for free after getting a good price on 8.

IF there is a 10 in the near future, it will likely have some bitwiggery in it ;)

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:17 am

Every now and then Ableton should come on and ask 'When's your next album coming out?"
ImageImage

uthemus

Post by uthemus » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:28 am

I'll send death drones to anyone who converts to bitwigianism. :twisted:
shadx312 wrote:Every now and then Ableton should come on and ask 'When's your next album coming out?"
Seriously

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:40 am

uthemus wrote:I'll send death drones to anyone who converts to bitwigianism. :twisted:
shadx312 wrote:Every now and then Ableton should come on and ask 'When's your next album coming out?"
Seriously
Meh!

Harmonic Progression

Post by Harmonic Progression » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:13 am

eyeknow wrote:
uthemus wrote:I'll send death drones to anyone who converts to bitwigianism. :twisted:
Seriously
Meh!
"Are we there yet?" :roll:
Desktop: Intel i7 hex-core, 64 GB ram, several SSDs, Focusrite Liquid 56, UAD-2.
Laptop: Alienware Area 51: Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, several more SSDs, UAD Apollo Twin.
Software: Win 10, Cubase, Live+Push2, Maschine, and more.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:10 am

The old me would have posted a cat pic with that quotation.

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:57 am

eyeknow wrote:The old me would have posted a cat pic with that quotation.
I like the old you.... :) :wink:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:19 am

TheNobleNemesis wrote:What major features do you guys think will be (and want to be) implemented in Ableton Live 10?
  • PDC fixed
  • Support for graphics card calculations. There're already some plug-ins that supports this.
  • Improved handling of CPU priority, including assistance to turn off other third party processes
  • Ability to Inactivate tracks so that they don't play
  • Ability to see and edit several clips at once, also in session mode
  • Ability to edit several grouped clips as if they were one
  • Push support for Drum rack mixer
  • Ability to steer Audio to MIDI Drums to your instruments of choice including the voice selection
  • Better ability to translate open/closed hihats in Audio to MIDI
  • Ability to ignore some voices when doing Audio to MIDI drums
Of course, most of these should come in Live 9.2 or so.
Make some music!