Ableton Live 10

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
regretfullySaid

Re: Ableton Live 10

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:20 am

Strange as it may sound, I think even the old basic cakewalk on windows in the late 90's is way worse compared to Live, of which I side on the non-distracting functional favor. Sure it's basic and boring, but it does the job and I don't need my ears tricked by any visual placebos:p
ImageImage

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:03 am

I love the no thrills everything you need to see interface of Live in Session view. With a few changes it could be perfect.

1:) Minor, but annoying: why do the Send dials need to use that much space in width and when you make the track narrower, why not still arrange the little bars partly next to each other?! The Sends always waste so much vertical screen real estate.

2:) I love the new EQ8 screen when blown up to cover the whole width of my screen. But since I control most things from Midi controllers or Push, I really don't need to see the device pane. But if I want to keep seeing the EQ8 Spectrum, the device pane must stay open. Please change that small thing.

3:) On occasions where I actually want to see the devices, especially when doing sound design in Sampler or Operator, the device pane is too small and distributed to too many tabs. I want to have the ability to make that full screen just like EQ8s spectrum with all controls visible at once.

4:) Please make the meters wider.

5:) I would like the ability to see the track overview view that you have in Arrangement on the top of the screen also in Session, with the ability to set the loop, and start in that view as well. I also want (same goes for Arrangement) that folded DrumRacks free up the vertical space in that view and don't keep clogging up so much of it.
Also this view should be possible to toggle out of sight.

6:) very minor: More colors to choose from and the possibility to color device title bars.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:14 pm

I'd like to be able to put the cursor at a location inside a Midi / Audio clip while in session view, hit play, and hear everything start from that position rather than from the beginning of the clip. Maschine 2 does this perfectly, Live doesn't do it at all (e.g. it always starts the current scene from the beginning).

You can 'audition' with the little speaker icon, but that only works for the selected clip; every other clip in the scene will start from the beginning, which is annoying.

This is especially notable as a problem when you have, say, a drum fill at the end of a midi clip and want to do some precision editing to it, and you need to hear the other clips in that scene playing as well to get the timing right, but the damn clip keeps playing from the very start and there's no way to just repeatedly playback the fill section of the scene.

Maschine 2 has a little white cursor inside the patterns; you click somewhere, hit play, and that's where playback starts from. It works because any patterns in the scene that are shorter than the one you are editing will naturally assume looping behavior, so the sequencer always knows where playback should start for all clips. In live, it doesn't manage the clips the same way, and is probably why this behavior currently isn't possible. E.g. I put the cursor in the middle of a long MIDI clip and want to start playback from there, but now Live doesn't know where to begin playback in other clips in the Scene that are shorter/longer than the one I'm editing. So, the only option is to start all of them from the beginning, or solo and audition a portion of the current clip.

It makes detailed clip editing a pain in Session View. Obviously none of this applies when you are working in Arrangement, as the timeline is fixed (though it would still be nice to select cursor locations from within the clip).
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

sana48

Post by sana48 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:15 pm

The ability to turn on a feature where you can hover your mouse pointer over a value and use the mouse wheel to adjust the value rather than having to click on the parameter and drag your mouse pointer up or down.

DO THIS NOW ABLETON or you WILL NOT BE COOL

Dhji

Post by Dhji » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:19 am

Updated spectrum analyzer

Updated automation

M4L convolution reverb is good but it would be nice to update stock reverb

PDC

Some kind of built in 32 to 64 bit plugin converter that includes windows plugins like harmor

I would LOVE to see a frequency splitter rack

Better sample management (not just .wav files, but NI's formats and others too etc)

more better skins and the ability to easily edit your own skin and include pictures for backgrounds

more hotkeys!

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:24 am

spaceface wrote:Updated spectrum analyzer

Updated automation
This is meaningless if you don't say WHAT you want updated

PDC
already in 9.2
I would LOVE to see a frequency splitter rack
See end of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=193969&start=15&hilit=lush+reverb

direct link to racks: http://filepi.com/i/W3H1Oca
more better skins and the ability to easily edit your own skin and include pictures for backgrounds
there are user generated skins and programs to make them. Search the forums.
I personally use the Maschine skin, because it looks awesome 8) (no totally unneccessary pics though)

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:35 am

1. Layered MIDI editing

2. Better undo for VSTs (described here: viewtopic.php?p=1658733)
3. Enter automation values by right-clicking points
4. Automation snap to grid (+ adjustable vertical resolution/grid - could be "ctrl+shift+1/2/4" - or maybe holding shift could snap to previously used values in clip)
5. Alias/ghost clips as optional default behaviour when copying clips

6. MIDI noteon, when starting playback -on- a MIDI note, not just on its very beginning
7. Easier way of dealing with absolute/relative automation
8. Option to make ctrl+1/2/3/4 exclusive to piano roll - I never want to change the global 1 bar clip launch quantisation.
9. Search for project's devices. If I have 40 tracks, it would be nice to just type "main bass", and double-click the device I wish to edit.
10. Global/default groove, like we had in Live 7

11. Maybe some kind of chord tool for the piano roll, where you can audition different kinds of chords in the chosen root note.
12. Better highlighting of beats in piano roll: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28914
13. Clip colours conform to track colour, and each new clip gets a different shade of the colour with same hue. Entire track gets colorised, and fewer+better colours
14. Chord inversion shortcut, like the current shift+arrow, only that the lowest or highest note in selection gets transposed an octave
15. mp3 export - I'm tired of converting wavs in Audacity.

Edit: Ability to record directly into Sampler!
Last edited by Idonotlikebroccoli on Sat May 02, 2015 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

weswook

Post by weswook » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:41 pm

login wrote:There a lot of usggestion on the beta site on improving metering that I would also love to see:

- Show RMS in the mixer along the peak meter.
- add a VU meter to the utility device
- Allow us to select the db scale: FS, k12, k14, etc..
- Live already has meters between plugs gainstaging could be very easy if those meters were colored.
This ... all of this!

weswook

Post by weswook » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:15 pm

Many of these are popular requests within this thread, I’ve added a few additional feature requests as well. Here goes …

1. VST3
2. More robust metering; RMS, K system, VU utility
3. Automation PDC
4. Multi Midi Editing
5. Session audio clip cut/paste/reverse
6. Unlimited Grouping; Groups within groups
7. MONO TRACKS
8. Freeze and factor in your set Delay Compensation
9. Multi- Take Comping
10. Mp3 Export
11. PUSH should work just as well in arrangement mode
12. More robust CPU usage Meter; show overall as all as a list of all tracks along with their #s
13. iPad companion app; control mixer & transport? Warp & prepare audio?
14. Native program mapping to macros
15. Custom keyboard shortcuts
16. Strip Silence
17. Ripple delete
18. Pre Fader metering option
19. Ability to rename IO's
20. Edit audio in clip view
21. Clip FX
22. Adjustable waveform display
23. Adjustable width meters
24. Grouping regions in arrangement view
25. Nudging regions/groups in arrangement view
26. Auto Sampler Instrument creator; MainStage added this functionality from Apple’s Redmatica acquisition
27. Copy plugin to all tracks; Think trim plugins, VCC, etc

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Sat May 02, 2015 3:16 am

Looking at the list of 27 wishes above, I wonder: do any of these (or all of them together) justifies losing 30% of my Live proficiency what a transfer to a new Live version typically costs?
The more musically adventurous I become the less software adventurous I seem to turn. Maybe it's just me. OK, I'll shut up and go away :mrgreen:

(Subsequent thought): Not sure if I'd upgrade just to get it, but the innovation I'd like to see the most in Live is a randomly appearing menu choice "Gain wisdom". One clicks on it, and instantly nothing happens. Bingo.

sratomasfer

Post by sratomasfer » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:31 am

timday wrote:DITCH THE MIDI SMART SNAP DITCH THE MIDI SMART SNAP
But that turns beginners off from this DAW. Ableton is so learner friendly, why kill that?

mareproduction

Post by mareproduction » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:35 pm

BOUNCE IN PLACE like in Bitwig and Studio ONe 3

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:29 am

Agree with many of the posts here.

But I would definitely prefer improvements to editing rather than new instruments or effects. Mainly:

1. Add a second Track Volume slider below the Track Pan slider in Arrange view. It would make mixing volume vs volume automation much easier.
2. More midi manipulation buttons in the midi editor, e.g. fill 1/8ths, randomise volume of notes.
3. Basic audio editing in clip view.
4. Improve visability with dark skins - has had some improvements, but not there yet.
5. Drastic overhall of the browser.
6. Custom keyboard shortcuts.
7. Everything available in the right click menu.
8. Fill up blank spaces around the edges with customisable buttons or useful shortcuts or macros or something.
9. Add better control to the zooming and sizing of piano roll, clip editor, etc. Mainly create customisable default sizes so that you don't have to keep adjusting.
10. Merge Clip and Notes menus into one and make it morph in shape to fill the available area above it so we have more space to do actual editing.

Just off the top of my head.

timday

Post by timday » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:13 am

sratomasfer wrote:
timday wrote:DITCH THE MIDI SMART SNAP DITCH THE MIDI SMART SNAP
But that turns beginners off from this DAW. Ableton is so learner friendly, why kill that?
The problem is not MIDI snap in general, it is the "smart snap" function where if you drag a MIDI note by less than one division of the grid it assumes you are trying to offset it and turns the snap off. Fine, until you try to drag a note vertically, then it's very easy to accidentally drag a note out of alignment horizontally as well.

Abes have massively improved this since the initial Live 9, but many of us still preferred the old version where you used the alt key to drag a note in slip mode if you wanted.

Chicle777

Post by Chicle777 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:53 pm

Monchai wrote:Korg new Electribe has an interesting idea on how to coexist with Live through the session export to SD card. I'd like to see a hardware standalone version of Electribe (Kaosspad) mix with APC40 slider and buttons (not just as a controller) that has SD card slot, and that the user can export the Session in Live (automatic convert all Synth output to audio first) to the hardware and vice versa.
The hardware then could be use as standalone (for DJ or Live show) or tweak some more elsewhere, save the session and then open it in computer for final stage or mastering.

I don't know how well the Electribe can connect with Live but if Ableton were to design their own standalone hardware with the same concept or better integrated than Korg that should give them the advantage and the perception of Musical Instrument manufacturer as to Music software company.
Yeah, I standalone seems like a good guess. Akai will probably release a standalone unit soon.
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/04/p ... -embedded/

A standalone Push XL (2) with a larger screen, 2 main outs, 6 individual outs and 2 ins for sampling, midi in and out, 16 audio or midi tracks limitation, limited SDD for sample storage and for bouncing tracks and 8-16GB RAM to hold your choice of AU/VST plug-ins or M4L devices.

If Ableton tightened up a couple of things in regards to the Push workflow, like make sure the automation sticks when nudging a note so we can step lock like the Elektron machines. As well as making sure that the automation made for one step is held until a future note is triggered, so I don´t have to press every single step on push unto next key trig to apply that automation. And simple stuff like adding a drum layout when using Impulse. Then I would be happy happy.

I would pay up to 1100-1500 euro for such machine. It would be tight as fööök. But right now it seems that either Native Instruments, Akai or Elektron will reach to that point first. Ableton doesn´t seem to have that agility.
Ableton 9.2 Suite + Push, Elektron Octratrack, Nord Lead A1, Nord Drum 2 + Nord Pad, Mono Evolver Desktop, microKorg, SidStation, Nanoloop 1.3-2.01, Mackie 1402 VLZPro, Edirol FA-66