Using existing tunes as an arrangement template?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Daniel_S

Re: Using existing tunes as an arrangement template?

Post by Daniel_S » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:11 am

TomViolenz wrote:
Daniel_S wrote:
jestermgee wrote:I'm always adjusting how I approach completing a track and lately I haven't even touched Ableton but what I do after compiling ideas in session mode is to then "play" the parts and record a rough draft into arrangement. The changes are basic and no transitions, sweeps, automation or drops at this stage.

What I then do is listen back to the arrangement while hovering over a button on my mackie that inserts a marker at player position. Every time I imagine a drop or bridge or change, crash, beat transition etc I place a marker (unnamed).

After the track is full of markers I will take a short break and come back after 10min / hour or something then playback the track. When it gets to each marker I label the marker with what I want to do and see if I can recall what I was thinking (to see if it makes sense). If I cannot think of what I was thinking I delete the marker. Once all are labelled I save as a new copy and then if in the mood I try and address each marker and remove it from the chain until I get to the end. If new ideas come up I add in new markers.

That's currently what I try and do when I have tracks that need to be finished. Like making notes.
Interesting approach and I also sounds like fun actually "playing" the track from Session.

I've recently purchased the Push controller so that should take care of the jamming from Session quite well.

Can I ask how do you drop in Markers when in Arrangement?
Thanks
The PXT Live script for Push, gives you that capability in Global mode. (Shift + Encoder2)
I've got to be honest, having only just received my Push, I'm not sure if I want to start changing the way it works without at least getting to grips with its basic functionality of it.

Out of interest, does the PXT script overwrite the default functionality of Push or is does it just give additional control over things.

Daniel_S

Post by Daniel_S » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:16 pm

TomViolenz wrote:
It will peacefully live under the User button, so the normal script stays in place.
It's a great extension of Push, but I understand the desire to take it slowly.

I was just pointing out, that you could do what you asked for with PXT.
Having the extra functionality hidden under the User button has made it more appealing for sure.

Thanks for the information, I will take a better look at what PXT can offer me over the default controls.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:50 pm

Daniel_S wrote:
Interesting approach and I also sounds like fun actually "playing" the track from Session.

I've recently purchased the Push controller so that should take care of the jamming from Session quite well.

Can I ask how do you drop in Markers when in Arrangement?
Thanks
I think Marker is just the Insert button on the keyboard from memory but I have a specific marker button on my MCU controller.

As Tom said, you can do a lot with the Push and PXT. The PXT is a worthy investment as it doesn't change the way Push works default but adds a whole "new" controller under the hood when pressing User.

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:23 pm

one of the coolest things about Live is that you can improvise arrangements from the session view

just like all improvising you will come up with interesting results that you never would have if you couldn't improvise the arrangement

Live is so cool!

Dr Dub

Post by Dr Dub » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:31 pm

My 2 cents:

DO IT!!! Analyse some of your favorite Tunes, use them as a template and it will be fun, you will finish some tunes and will help you to understand arrangement.

It s a GREAT way to get going. Changing something if you want to - easy

Tarekiths Method is also great and you should try it.

Espacially if you want to do music which is better for Dancing - there is no big secret and it s not cheating.
Live Suite 9 - MBPR 15 - NI Komplete Audio 6 - Push - Brain - Hands - Melodica

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:55 am

Dr Dub wrote:there is no big secret and it s not cheating.
maybe its to philosophical, but every song is made by inspiration even if it was just subliminal. So it can't be cheating anyway.