Watched some Push demo videos on youtube, and eh.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: Watched some Push demo videos on youtube, and eh.

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:30 pm

panten wrote:Do you primarily use youtube to convince you when making all your purchasing decisions?
Nope. Only things I’m on the fence about where videos might help with the decision. I stopped using Live a couple years ago for the most part. I thought new hardware might reignite my interest because the software features in 9 didn’t get me excited. I’m not a Live hater. I just moved on to Logic and found I get more songs finished.

Toss in the fact that I've thrown a lot of money at gear and software in the past that largely didn't get used and I'm trying to cut back on that.

kb420 wrote:Personally, this is the best video that I have seen so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiHnxMzpFH4

I would love to see some old school Hip Hop beats, some R&B, and maybe some Neo Soul demonstrations with Push.

Not really into Handbag House, but I dug that video more than most. At the end of the day for me it comes down to the price being a little too steep for something I’m not excited about and I wanted to check if I'm missing some things I wasn't aware of that would work for me. Some things would, but for the price..I dunno.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:34 pm

If you are using logic as your riker, then it makes perfect sense that push isn't for you. I'm about 70/30 split with live being the riker and studio one being my "linear" host so push is very desirable. I use the pads, but it's the functionality of tasks being front and center that make it a joy to use.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:54 pm

beats me wrote:Not really into Handbag House, but I dug that video more than most. At the end of the day for me it comes down to the price being a little too steep for something I’m not excited about and I wanted to check if I'm missing some things I wasn't aware of that would work for me. Some things would, but for the price..I dunno.
Well, that was my main argument in the other thread. You get a LOT more with a Maschine Mk2 than you do with Push, especially if you are already a Live 9 Suite user. $599!?!?!? Honestly, I think that $399 would be a lot more reasonable. If it were on sale for that, I would buy one right now.

I guess I just wish it were a little less Monome, and more MPC.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:20 pm

My upgrade price from 8 to 9 is $300 and that isn’t really appealing to me. The Push combo would make it more appealing but $850 is REALLY not appealing for what I consider my Plan B DAW. I’d say anybody who shelled out that much must be really dedicated to Live because I don’t see Push being really all that useful for anything other than Live, except for possibly Bitwig, but that’s some future wait and see wishful thinking.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:32 pm

beats me wrote:My upgrade price from 8 to 9 is $300 and that isn’t really appealing to me.
I waited and got it on sale! :mrgreen:
TomViolenz wrote:Push enables a workflow that is pretty specific and a direct translation of Live. It's basically Live in controller form. If that is not a workflow you care for then Push is not for you.
No sense in trying to force it!
I would love to have that workflow!
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:59 am

beats me wrote:My upgrade price from 8 to 9 is $300 and that isn’t really appealing to me. The Push combo would make it more appealing but $850 is REALLY not appealing for what I consider my Plan B DAW. I’d say anybody who shelled out that much must be really dedicated to Live because I don’t see Push being really all that useful for anything other than Live, except for possibly Bitwig, but that’s some future wait and see wishful thinking.
Yeah I had 8 suite, so my cross grade including push worked out to be $750. I sold my Korg Padkontrol/old midi keyboard and got it down to $650 outta pocket, which was still steep but I could accept it. I've almost got my workflow down to a science between Live and my Rhizome, so I don't have many reservations when investing in Live. I also promised myself I was gonna do something for myself at the end of the year if I bonus'd at work which I typically wouldn't do, but hey I made a lot of sacrifices this past year in terms of time....that being said, I wouldn't have even thought of buying push if I didn't spend 80% of my time using Live.
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:39 am

I've had mine for awhile now, and while I still really enjoy it, I admit I don't use it very much at the moment. For me Push encourages a very specific workflow, it's all about getting raw ideas down quickly, and it's great at that. I can sit at Push and noodle away and come up with all sorts of new ideas thanks to scales and the new way of browsing.

It can function as a basic controller for Live, but I don't think a general purpose DAW controller was what it was intended as. Mainly as an instrument front end to help you sketch out ideas, with a few controllers aspects thrown in as bonus. At least that's how I looked at it. I don't really care about the added scripting stuff people are doing. It's neat and I find it impressive, but I like the simpler 1 to 1 aspects of how it was intended to be used.

Basic song arranging is possible, though I still think turning to the computer at that point is faster. And for me, there in lies the rub, once I need to get serious I'm back on the laptop and in Live. And lately that's just not a workflow that excites me at the moment. So for now I'm mainly using it for sketching out a lot of song ideas, none of which I've finished yet :) Hopefully soon!

One thing I found once I got past that initial discovery stage, is that you're really dependant on Live's library for sounds, and after awhile you wish for more. More sounds, better organizations, more idea spawning presets. There's some good stuff there now (I have Suite and most packs), but a LOT of so so stuff too. NI still kills it here.

Push is great though, really. If you're into composing right in Live and want a new way to get your ideas down, go for it. Just don't expect it to carry you all the way through the production process with the same depth.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:01 am

Tarekith wrote:One thing I found once I got past that initial discovery stage, is that you're really dependant on Live's library for sounds, and after awhile you wish for more. More sounds, better organizations, more idea spawning presets. There's some good stuff there now (I have Suite and most packs), but a LOT of so so stuff too. NI still kills it here.
This is a major concern. I love Live Suite, but the presets aren't as plentiful as they could be. Having Komplete 9 Ultimate is a much different story, and being able to browse all of that content from Maschine's hardware interface is really nice.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:15 am

Push existing in Live the way it does, and having all the features that it has, is really clever that is for sure. But that browser is really a sore spot. Showing you can browse for devices from an external controller is absolutely awesome. It is one of the many reasons I picked up Push. There is so much potential with the 'concept' of browsing and creating new things. Tracks, fx. In theory it could work very fast!

But it is really hurting from a lot of things. The browser hierarchy is these steps towards a new idea that don't seem like they can quite land on an ideal spot.

I think there could almost be an entire thread dedicated to imagining what Would make for an ideal browsing experience.

I know it has to be hard for developers of anything working on mysterious new projects and not being able to communicate with their consumer base until After a big reveal (noticed how people are let down by new APC only having 5 rows still).

I certainly have several ideas for how I Wish the browser functioned. And I think most of is agree, trudging through stock clutter is a buzzkill. Still, it's a little bit impressive having a browser and having nearly no interface for customizing it... clever, or possibly limiting??

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:44 am

kb420 wrote:
Tarekith wrote:One thing I found once I got past that initial discovery stage, is that you're really dependant on Live's library for sounds, and after awhile you wish for more. More sounds, better organizations, more idea spawning presets. There's some good stuff there now (I have Suite and most packs), but a LOT of so so stuff too. NI still kills it here.
This is a major concern. I love Live Suite, but the presets aren't as plentiful as they could be. Having Komplete 9 Ultimate is a much different story, and being able to browse all of that content from Maschine's hardware interface is really nice.
I haven't got it, but for 20 bucks you can get the bridge to browse all the NI stuff (well, most of it)

Also there is a guy here (jestermgee?? ) who does omnisphere and is working on trilian.

I personally don't miss it. I use "element" TOO much and it's no hassle mousing it in and then using push to tap something in.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:45 am

One thing that would be nice is if when you go through the presets, you don't have to continually load them to see if you want that. That would be nice.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:31 am

TomViolenz wrote: Then go for it! It's absolutely splendid!
It seems to be in price only about 200 bucks removed from what you can affoard. Put in another few weeks/month of saving, do some overtime, get a paper route ( :mrgreen: ) And in just a short while the thing you'd love to have can be yours!
Instant gratification is usually for things that end up in a dusty corner anyways.
I am going for it! I'm working all of the overtime I can get so that I can buy Maschine Studio and Komplete 9 Ultimate!!!! :mrgreen:
-Friedrich Nietzsche-