Watched some Push demo videos on youtube, and eh.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: Watched some Push demo videos on youtube, and eh.

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:51 pm

So it seems the consensus is Push shines as a melodic instrument in conjunction with the scale and chord plugs. I respect that, but that’s probably another one of my main reasons for hesitation. DAWs do a lot of things for us but I think we all have our areas of pride where we contributed something beyond just feeding the machine. For some people its sampling, for others it’s tapping in beats, others its elaborate routing. For me it’s playing parts in without a scale or chord plugin. Not that I’m some virtuoso. It’s just something I want to do without failsafe training wheels.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:10 pm

Oh, it's fun without scales too. If I'm not mistaken, Cosm uses chromatic sometimes in that vid? (Going on memory from when I first saw it). For myself, I'll play anything I can get my hands on. I used to play the Launchpad's default User1 for melodies and chord progressions. I just love reinforcing my understandings of relative notes :).

But if something looks slightly interesting, yet not appealing enough to take the plunge, then just go with your instincts :). As you stated, everyone uses their tools differently and for different functions. The vids you might be hoping to see from Push might be out there for very mediocre tools, it's all in people's choices and the psychology they accumulate with their tools I suppose.

I'm rambling I think. Have fun on this topic guys haha

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:57 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Oh, it's fun without scales too. If I'm not mistaken, Cosm uses chromatic sometimes in that vid? (Going on memory from when I first saw it). For myself, I'll play anything I can get my hands on. I used to play the Launchpad's default User1 for melodies and chord progressions. I just love reinforcing my understandings of relative notes :).

But if something looks slightly interesting, yet not appealing enough to take the plunge, then just go with your instincts :). As you stated, everyone uses their tools differently and for different functions. The vids you might be hoping to see from Push might be out there for very mediocre tools, it's all in people's choices and the psychology they accumulate with their tools I suppose.

I'm rambling I think. Have fun on this topic guys haha

It was a good ramble though. :wink:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:37 pm

beats me wrote:I think it appeals to those who like unique controllers and/or want to not have to look at the computer as much as possible.
Funny, I fit into neither of those categories 8)

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:40 pm

I'm happy as hell with mine, although I don't need it and knew that before I bought it.
I knew it would be a good tool and a lot of fun, which is exactly what I got. I've been using it a lot with the exception of drums (preference) and to play my song once it's created, I'm using my apc40,which is also preference. I still use my mouse a lot (preference) cuz it's still faster at times to keep my workflow in check, but I know this won't always be the case. The more push matures and the more comfortable I become, the better it'll be, but I'm not trying to reinvent my workflow flow, just keep evolving and limit my tools, to a few, and stay in Live more times than not.
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:47 pm

The Finn wrote:
beats me wrote:I think it appeals to those who like unique controllers and/or want to not have to look at the computer as much as possible.

It also appeals to people who will buy anything that does the secret handshake with Live. :wink:

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:32 pm

beats me wrote:
The Finn wrote:

It also appeals to people who will buy anything that does the secret handshake with Live. :wink:
Busted 8)

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:02 pm

Well, the one thing I don't like about push was handing over the coin. OUCH :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:11 am

TomViolenz wrote:beats me, here is what I like about Push:

Device integration:

These 8 encoders always map to every devices 8 macros, the display tells you what they are and what levels they are at. Navigating between devices (and tracks) is VERY straight forward. On the same level, it's always one of the buttons under the display changing to it, if it's on a lower chain you get to it via the in-out buttons.

Further: With our community mapping (one file you have to install once), all of Lives devices have comprehensive control of ALL parameters via the encoders. (Bank changes are conveniently done via the 8 buttons below the display, with names for the banks!)

The step sequencers:
I know you would like a 16 step matrix, but considering how rare and specialized that is - an 8 step matrix is the next best thing. And the 4 different step sequencers you get to use, if you also buy PXT (and you should) fullfill most step sequencing needs you are ever gonna have. The one I like the most is the melodic step sequencer in PXT, because if you use it with a DrumRack you get 8 steps for 8 different pads right atop of each other. And it's not just note entering, per step parameter editing (including DrumRack sends!) is just as straight forward. Just as note length and nudge for these really groovy drum patterns is.

Beat Repeat: allows you to hold a note at a given repeat timing and change ANY parameter via the encoders while playing. Great for performances!

With PXT you get basic control of Arrangement: Looping, playhead, locators....
I'm not aware of any other controller that does.

Send controls!: At any step in the process you get access of at least 6 of your sends and up to all 12 if you use the trick I suggested in the Push forum using Macrobats nk Track racks. (free!)

Then add to this the Launchpad functionality plus the finger drumming and note entering capabilities (mentioned to completion, I'd think), the openess of the software, which makes one geek genius after the other release new functionality, and the very good built quality (It is heavy though!) and it's worth every penny of the not so cheap price!

You are mostly using Logic nowadays right?! (For shame ;-)) With PXT general there is also a way to incorporate it into your Logic workflow.

BUT whatever we say here can not convey its usefulness in the same way as a visit to the next music store could.
So go and check it out, and stop pestering us ;-) :mrgreen:

That’s quite the sales pitch. The info is appreciated though. :wink:

But I can’t see myself going to a music store and really getting deep into how that all works, and I guarantee the goons at the local music stores have no idea how to demo it properly, or at least not past what I’ve already seen in videos. Shit, they probably don’t even have it hooked up to a computer. And you mentioned there's some other third party software that really makes if come alive. They're not going to have that either. So, um, yeah.

panten

Post by panten » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:17 am

Do you primarily use youtube to convince you when making all your purchasing decisions?

So uh, what is this thread really about? I read a bunch of comments and, well I dunno...

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:51 am

I watched a bunch of stuff before I bought mine, but I didn't really care if the users were inspirational or not. What I cared about is how I could get more out of live.

login

Post by login » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:41 am

I read a lot folks that are annoyed at what people does with push cause it doesnt fit their tastes.

unimpressed

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:18 am

At one time I had a MPC 3000, a MPD 32, and a M-Audio Trigger Finger. I've always been a fan of the 16 pad configuration. Push's pads just seem too small to me to use for drums. I know it can be done, but you have to understand that I've been using MPC style pads for almost 20 years now.

I love the fact that Push is made to be used with Live. I love the scale modes, and just about everything that Push can do. I'll probably get one down the road, but as far as the demo videos on youtube, I haven't really been impressed at all.

Personally, this is the best video that I have seen so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiHnxMzpFH4

I would love to see some old school Hip Hop beats, some R&B, and maybe some Neo Soul demonstrations with Push.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-