Watched some Push demo videos on youtube, and eh.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
lowshelf

Re: Watched some Push demo videos on youtube, and eh.

Post by lowshelf » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:56 pm

beats, clearly you are watching the wrong vids. Watch John Hughes' Some Kind of Wonderful (1987). Logic is your posh girl crush (Lea Thompson as Molly Ringwald), when you should be taking it further with your tomboygirl Ableton (Mary Stuart Masterson).

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:40 pm

As Molly Ringwald :lol:
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:44 pm

:P

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:59 pm

This *might* be relevant to yr interests:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 4TZU#t=578
ImageImage

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:05 am

One thing I notice with Push videos is that it actually seems slower to get things going than using a mouse. Maybe I've only seen casual Push users on video.

panten

Post by panten » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:22 am

Not sure which videos you've been watching but I can tell you from first hand experience; it is most definitely faster to lay things down using Push.

For me there is no competition.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:43 am

I feel pretty fast with push.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:05 am

It depends on how tight you are as a performer on Push, and how fast you are at correcting errors, quantizing, etc. Push does take study and practice, but ultimately will be much faster (and musical) than entering notes by hand IMO.... But you have to practice (both music and push production skills) until your techniques get to that point,,,

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:28 am

Exactly. Oddly enough, the way I'd recommend starting is going through the ableton start vids. You get the basics down. Then cruise the forums with search, you'll get the answers to many questions that way. And don't listen to the people just trolling about bitwig :lol:

The net is actually imho, a lousy place to search for push. It may be great for a number of things but the method I describe above got me up and running in virtually no time.

There are some bummers. But mostly it's a joy. I really happy with mine (knock on wood)

Fritz609

Post by Fritz609 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:32 am

Martin Gifford wrote:One thing I notice with Push videos is that it actually seems slower to get things going than using a mouse. Maybe I've only seen casual Push users on video.
I tend to use both push and the mouse. I like to think of a mouse as a sidekick controller for my push. Push handles alot of tasks well but some things are just best left to the mouse (warping and sometimes browsing sounds). I tend to get lost in my library when using push. Spmetimes feels like i cant access everything from the small a$$ screen..still loving the push though.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:10 pm

Fritz609 wrote:
Martin Gifford wrote:One thing I notice with Push videos is that it actually seems slower to get things going than using a mouse. Maybe I've only seen casual Push users on video.
I tend to use both push and the mouse. I like to think of a mouse as a sidekick controller for my push. Push handles alot of tasks well but some things are just best left to the mouse (warping and sometimes browsing sounds). I tend to get lost in my library when using push. Spmetimes feels like i cant access everything from the small a$$ screen..still loving the push though.
Yeah, I use the mouse as the sidekick controller too - editing Zebra patches, working in arrangement view, moving lots of clips about if needed etc. I'm estimating that I do about 90% of work with just Push, including browsing.

I don't feel the need to do try and do everything with Push as I aimed for when I first got it - it's a futile and pointless pursuit. The mouse and keyboard have their place.

EDIT: forgot to mention that many things are much faster than using M+K, like laying down drum patterns, automation, and general workflow, once you get into it.

login

Post by login » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:13 pm

I am amazed byu the lack of imagination of people watching vids.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:24 pm

Do you mean as in not extrapolating possibilities from what they're watching?
ImageImage