recording Live, Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kurtr2

recording Live, Live

Post by kurtr2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:46 am

since the record arrangement function is NOT suitable for recording Live due to the fact that it will not record the input to a track that has a clip in it, how are people recording their Live sessions? on another computer? on the same computer using a different DAW with all the tracks routed through Soundflower or something like that?

its very dissapointing that as soon as you press the record button the whole monitoring behavior changes, it makes it useless for me to record an arrangement if i am playing Live.

wondering if there are people out there with the same issue and how they are dealing with it.

thanks,
Kurt

chapelier fou

Re: recording Live, Live

Post by chapelier fou » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:55 pm

kurtr2 wrote: it will not record the input to a track that has a clip in it
what do you mean ? if you arm the tracks everything will be recorded, from launched clips to what's been played.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

kurtr2

Post by kurtr2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:48 pm

if you have a midi track and record a clip you can still play over that clip. midi notes still go to the instrument and you can play over the loop with the same instrument on the same track. as soon as you put Live into arrangement record you are no longer able to play through that track, it only records the clip to the arrangement and midi notes that you play on your keyboard no longer get routed to the plugin. this is also true for audio tracks.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:26 pm

Turn overdub on.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:27 pm

As long as the track and arrangement are armed, and session and arrangement record are both turned on, you can record everything.

kurtr2

Post by kurtr2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:56 pm

if you turn overdub on it will record into the clip thats playing. i dont want that. i want to play over the clip and have that be recorded into the arrangement along with whatever is looping in the clip.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:46 am

Well im afraid the OP is right : you cannot , at the same time, record your clip launches (make an arrangement on the fly from session) AND play on top of it.
I never do that, i always first record my arrangement from session AND in another pass, overdub over what's been recorded.
I totally see your point.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

hivemind

Post by hivemind » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:45 pm

maybe I'm missing something here, but why don't you just use two tracks? One track would have your loop in it, and the other would have the same settings but be free for you to record whatever you want into it

kurtr2

Post by kurtr2 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:22 pm

hivemind wrote:maybe I'm missing something here, but why don't you just use two tracks? One track would have your loop in it, and the other would have the same settings but be free for you to record whatever you want into it
yes i suppose that is the way to do it, but then you need two instances of each V.I. which will stress the CPU, etc.

also probably there will be double triggering issues if you are recording in both tracks before you make a clip in one of them. this is an issue for Live playing when you are starting from no clips and making clips on the fly then playing over them...

hivemind

Post by hivemind » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm

kurtr2 wrote:
hivemind wrote:maybe I'm missing something here, but why don't you just use two tracks? One track would have your loop in it, and the other would have the same settings but be free for you to record whatever you want into it
yes i suppose that is the way to do it, but then you need two instances of each V.I. which will stress the CPU, etc.

also probably there will be double triggering issues if you are recording in both tracks before you make a clip in one of them. this is an issue for Live playing when you are starting from no clips and making clips on the fly then playing over them...
CPU issues aside, toggling the Arm button on tracks with Auto monitoring will prevent the doubling if you have Exclusive Arm set in your preferences. So, with Track 1 Armed and with the session recording, create a loop. Then Arm Track 2, which will enable monitoring on your play-along track while disabling it on your make-a-loop track.

Alternatively, you could record your loops as audio instead of MIDI onto an audio track which has your VI as its input. Timing issues aside, you won't be doubling any heavy VI's this way.g

kurtr2

Post by kurtr2 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:41 pm

hivemind wrote:
kurtr2 wrote:

CPU issues aside, toggling the Arm button on tracks with Auto monitoring will prevent the doubling if you have Exclusive Arm set in your preferences. So, with Track 1 Armed and with the session recording, create a loop. Then Arm Track 2, which will enable monitoring on your play-along track while disabling it on your make-a-loop track.

Alternatively, you could record your loops as audio instead of MIDI onto an audio track which has your VI as its input. Timing issues aside, you won't be doubling any heavy VI's this way.g

those are good suggestions, thanks. the only drawback to recording loops as audio is you cannot overdub into them...

kurtr2

Post by kurtr2 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:43 pm

i just wish it would record through the same track onto the same track. i mean before you hit that record button the tracks output IS summing clips and input, so why doesnt arrangement record just record THAT?

hopefully this will be a feature update at some point.

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:57 pm

kurtr2 wrote:

This is incorrect. You can set the MIDI output of the second track to drive the same instance of the V.I. as the first track either by sending the output directly to the same MIDI IN port on the V.I. or sending it as a Track In to the first track (set Monitor to IN).

Otherwise I agree with you, Arrangement should allow you to record both a playing MIDI clip and any monitored input on the same track. It can only do one or the other at the moment.
LIVE 9.1.7 x64, PUSH w/PXT, APC40, KEYSTATION PRO88, Radium61
Win8.1 Pro, 4820k(4.5GHz)/32GB/840ProSSD/RME Babyface

kurtr2

Post by kurtr2 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:00 pm

This is incorrect. You can set the MIDI output of the second track to drive the same instance of the V.I. as the first track either by sending the output directly to the same MIDI IN port on the V.I. or sending it as a Track In to the first track (set Monitor to IN).

ahh true you could use two midi tracks which are both routed to a third V.I. track.