Live Suite + Komplete: Worth it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
billythakidd

Live Suite + Komplete: Worth it?

Post by billythakidd » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:57 am

Hi guys, am considering whether to purchase Native Instruments Komplete 9 to use with Ableton Live Suite. I really want access to the soft synths Massive, FM8 and Absynth, and it was a bit of a no brainer to just go with Komplete and get the additional synths plus Kontakt etc for pretty much the same cost as the synths stand alone. But now there is a 50% off sale on the synth range I'm wondering if it's worth saving the $$. I am interested in Guitar Rig and Kontakt, but can probably get around that with Suite to some extent. Thought I'd throw it open to the forum: advice would be much appreciated!

jestermgee

Re: Live Suite + Komplete: Worth it?

Post by jestermgee » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:39 am

It depends if it is worth it for YOU.

If you have the cash to spend abd believe it could add value that seems worth it to me.
If you have bills that are not getting paid or kids with no shoes in your house then it's probable you need to focus on other things.

In all aspects of everything I do I like to have a collection of tools to use for the day I need them IF I can make the purchase without affecting anything else. I don't use much of the Suit content but purchased the Suite version of Live because I could afford it and it was on sale. I use a lot of the K9U stuff and again only purchased when it was on sale and I could afford it.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:02 am

i'm in a tough place with this. I have live suite plus komplete and i'm wishing I had omnisphere. The only thing is komplete gets you guitar rig which is important for me. i do use the kontakt instruments from time to time but the rest is just noise. Reaktor is good fun, absynth is powerful, massive is great for bro step. So it's a lot of good stuff really but i've fallen back into the more more more...
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

billythakidd

Post by billythakidd » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:31 am

Yep I hear you both. I already have a Line 6 pod for guitars although it's about 7 years old now so not sure how it stacks up to Guitar Rig. Was more querying whether Kontakt is worth the extra $ compared to Suite/sampler and obviously it's a very subjective and open query. The half price sale does make me probably lean towards stand alone and save some gun powder for other treats down the line. Anyways appreciate the feedback.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:20 am

I got Omnisphere + Trilian too.

It is nice to have a big swag of sounds but honestly I get a little lost from time to time when I just need "something" and have sooooo much choice.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:24 am

I have suite and K9 and it's a TON of stuff. I bought suite because I could get 8suite and got the free upgrade to 9. Komplete is a no brainer for me (just the standard) so it's a gob of cash but you are really well set.

What I use in suite are some of the drum racks, a few of the synths, and max4live now so it was worth it to get the suite. Then of course you need to consider push.......so you can have absolutely the bomb setup :mrgreen:

Expensive be worth it.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:48 am

It depends on what music you make and what sounds you want.

I have suite and K8 ultimate (not upgraded to K9 yet) and for me its worth it for the extra kontakt instruments. If you are just after synths, then no. Live suite is probably more useful. If you want some decent pianos, electric bases, drums etc - ie a load of decent non-electronic sampled sounds, then yes its good.

For synth sounds, then for me massive is the main useful thing in suite along with some of the reactor synths - if that is all you want, then no it not worth getting komplete for that IMHO.

For the combination of Live suite + Komplete, if you want to save money and you like what in complete, then Live 9 + Komplete makes more sense. TBH I don't don't really use the suite instruments much apart from sampler and operator. Kontakt is far more powerful than sampler and you would have FM8 as well. I mostly just use sampler for offline fx.
Nothing to see here - move along!