Amazing Noises Dark Synth, Razor and Push

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
moscom_musik

Amazing Noises Dark Synth, Razor and Push

Post by moscom_musik » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:24 pm

Hi,

I have been curious about additive synthesis lately. Two synths have attracted my attention, NI Razor and Amazing Noises Dark Synth. As I am also a Push enthusiast, it is important to me that these synths interface well with the controller. I can easily see how I could map Razor's parameters to Push (probably using Ubermap). I am wondering about Dark Synth though. Can people who use Push and Dark Synth tell me how well Dark Synth is interfaced with Push?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Moscom
Macbook Pro Retina 2015, Live 9 Suite, Push, and a bunch of plug-ins I like :)

moscom_musik

Re: Amazing Noises Dark Synth, Razor and Push

Post by moscom_musik » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:38 am

Bump. No one uses Dark Synth with Push? :)
Macbook Pro Retina 2015, Live 9 Suite, Push, and a bunch of plug-ins I like :)

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:26 pm

Razor in Reaktor you can map - Dark Synth i dont know.

clydesdale

Post by clydesdale » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:37 pm

Dark Synth is instantiated directly in the chain so it maps like an instrument would map. I don't know about changing the map though, that's beyond my experience so far-- if other M4L devices work then this one will too. It has an extra edit window which I have not seen on other instruments so any buttons there might function differently. I haven't used it much yet but it seems substantially more resource intensive than the regular Live instruments.
LIVE 9.1.7 x64, PUSH w/PXT, APC40, KEYSTATION PRO88, Radium61
Win8.1 Pro, 4820k(4.5GHz)/32GB/840ProSSD/RME Babyface

koranek

Post by koranek » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:34 pm

I just picked up Dark Synth during the sale. I like it so far, and there are several parameters that make for very cool tweaking of sounds.

I'm disappointed in the parameter mapping with Push. Only 2 banks of parameters show up, including some I might not use and others I want that are missing.

There is a parameter map that you can access from M4L editor, so I could go ahead and map these out myself. I have 2 complaints about this: 1) time consuming, 2) when I save the device, it goes in a different directory. Now I have a list of presets, but the nicely organized set of subfolders is missing. I'm not sure how to save the modified device back into the M4L pack, or even if I can.

Other than that I think it's a very interesting synth.
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 11 Sweet

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:43 pm

Id shoot amazing noises an email and ask them about editing and saving the device Im sure it probably can be done.

What about macros? I know there are only 8 but I find limiting my device control to 8 knobs helps me keep it simple. Keeping it simple is good for me.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

koranek

Post by koranek » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:30 pm

I just sent them an email.

The device is laid out very logically, so maybe there would be a good way to break things up into banks. We'll see.

Macro's would work, but 8 would not be enough. This should have been part of the implementation. Plus there doesn't seem to be any presets that assigned the modwheel to a parameter. This seems like another oversight.

But I still like it a lot. Got a chance to play with it a little today. I really like how easy it is to get things all grungy and inharmonic.

Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
Live 11 Sweet

Syver

Post by Syver » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:12 am

koranek wrote: This should have been part of the implementation.
+1

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:30 am

In any patch, you want to make a creative decision early on about which parameters you want to tweak in a performance. In general I think 8 is enough, so the rack and macro route works well with Dark Synth.

As for saving in sub-folders, what seems to be the difficulty? You can save the presets in any User Places folder you want, as in the case of any Live preset.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:20 am

re:dream wrote: In general I think 8 is enough,

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:42 pm

8) :lol:

koranek

Post by koranek » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:06 pm

When you open the original amxd that's part of of the package, you see all the presets organized into subfolders in Lives browser.

When you tweak the parameter list to get what you want in Push, you have to save a copy of the amxd, and this defaults to a users folder. When you access the new edited amxd and look at the presets in Live's browser you only see a single list of substantially less number of presets, and the original set of preset folders is not shown. So you get the parameters in Push but lose presets.

This explains (at least a little) why when I looked at the 2 Dark Synth videos, one showed the single list of presets and one showed the folders.

Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
Live 11 Sweet