Im a traveling man in need of help finding headphones

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
adiamant

Im a traveling man in need of help finding headphones

Post by adiamant » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:35 am

I am gonna be traveling for 4 months and I need to be able to bring my studio with me. Sadly I cannot bring more than my laptop, push, interface, mic, and headphones. Since I wont be able to bring my studio monitors im going to need the next best thing, good headphones. Can anyone recommend some headphones that will be able to function as my monitors until im able to get back to the mothership? Im willing to spend up to $200.

eyeknow

Re: Im a traveling man in need of help finding headphones

Post by eyeknow » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:46 am

I love my KRK8400's. I use them for everything. Sound good, don't hype, comfy (far more comfortable than the athm50's I had before)

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:06 am

I bought some open-sided Beyerdynamic DT 990 pros for this very purpose.

They are comfortable and light and ruggedly made

Hope you are traveling to nice places

sowhoso

Post by sowhoso » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:55 am

save some of that $$$ for plugins and get these. you'll be pleasantly surprised by their quality

http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-TH02-B-Clo ... B00B1N06PO

Rotter3

Post by Rotter3 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:49 am

Focal Spirit Pro

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:45 am

Audio Technica ATH-50X, imho probably the best phones you'll find for this money. Punchy, exciting sound but not crazy hyped bass or pain in the top cranked. Solid build, 3 removable/interchangeable cables. For the money only other competition was Ultrasone but I bought the ATs, other than that it was 2 or 3x the price for something comparable. Save cash and get the regular ATH-50, same sound just very slightly diff build materials and fixed cable.

Synchronix

Post by Synchronix » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:51 pm

muthafunka wrote:Audio Technica ATH-50X, imho probably the best phones you'll find for this money. Punchy, exciting sound but not crazy hyped bass or pain in the top cranked. Solid build, 3 removable/interchangeable cables. For the money only other competition was Ultrasone but I bought the ATs, other than that it was 2 or 3x the price for something comparable. Save cash and get the regular ATH-50, same sound just very slightly diff build materials and fixed cable.
ordered mine on Sunday! Coming today I can't wait! (M50x)

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Rotter3 wrote:Focal Spirit Pro
+10000000000

Best headphones EVER imo!!!!!

brettonwoodsapocalypse

Post by brettonwoodsapocalypse » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:08 pm

I tried the Audio Technica, some good stuff from Senheiser but the problem is that they're never flat. THere's a major difference picking headphone whch sound pleasing to your ears and headphones which are flat and precise. The latter kind actually help you to mix your music properly and to avoid nasty surprises when you play your tune on a different sound system. As a reference I have found indeed that the Focal Pro are genuinely above the competition. Another option are Sony MDR which are used by many sound engineers.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:44 pm

Indeed, no doubt the Focals are fab but they're nearly 2x the OP's budget.

adiamant

Post by adiamant » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:35 am

Awesome thanks guys for all your responses. I have been super busy lately but will look through all the options you guys posted. :D

memes_33

Post by memes_33 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:56 am

+1 for ATH-M50x. good sound, a little hyped in the bass response. i've never tried the focals.
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:16 am

Been waiting for a while to try the focals, are they really that good?

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:11 pm

Lot of different opinions, here's mine:
No matter which headphones you get, I would recommend looking into the Focusrite VRM Box (virtual Reference Monitoring). I Have the VRM tech built into my Focusrite Safire Pro 24 DSP and I absolutely LOVE it. Even though I already have the home unit, I'm thinking about getting the small portable box too cause when I went to find the link for you, I saw that they are on sale for $55 flat/delivered. I think this is because they are being phased out. Here is the most honest review I could find that I actually agree with.
http://youtu.be/_2UvbLuaOdU

When I first used it I thought is sounded horrible cause my brain knew it was not real and wanted to reject it... After a few minutes the fight went away and my brain just accepted I'm listening to something different. Pretty soon I found myself grabbing my headphones cause I thought I still had my monitors on and didn't want to wake anyone up. Once this happened a few times I realized this was good tech with a passable algorithm.

But that's still not my main reason for recommending the VRM. It's how many variations of listening environments and different speakers you can sample through that let me find lots of troubled spots in my mix's, that really did it for me. I do not belong to any company, I'm a Paramedic with studio background, and I swear by this VRM tech contributing to much better, more well rounded mix's!

Now like I said, I have the home unit, so I can not vouch for how durable the unit is... but for the price and the fact that it might be a discontinued item, I'm defiantly going to order it for when I travel.

Focusrite VRM Box... $55.00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MV ... LXRNAST084

These are the Headphones I have been using for many years. They are very tough and accurate. 1 of my pair is almost 20 years old from when they were called v6's and they still sound brand new...

Sony MDR-7506... $84.95
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Prof ... y+mdr+7506

Velour Padded Earcushions... $12.95 (the Sony's come with vinyl but the Velour are so much more comfortable and don't make you sweat)
http://www.amazon.com/Velour-Earcushion ... 506+velour

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:01 pm

Tarekith wrote:Been waiting for a while to try the focals, are they really that good?
Yes they are. Incredibly revealing and very neutral (but not boring). If music is mastered too loud or just basically sounds like crap they will make wish you never ever put them on. It's like having Focal monitors ON your head instead of in your studio. They translate to speakers really well also. Throw in something like Flux HEAR and you've got a very convincing replication of a studio monitor environment for late night sessions when you can't use you studio monitors.
The only nitpick is that they're on-ear. Not very comfortable in the long run when you wear glasses (which i do sometimes)