Best way to switch instruments/presets in instrument rack?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
csl

Best way to switch instruments/presets in instrument rack?

Post by csl » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi folks,

I've preparing a live set with a selection of VSTis for live use, each within an instrument rack, with the chain selector being automated by ClyphX clips for the relevant songs. So far so good.

Where I've come unstuck is regarding macro assignments. I've got multiple similar macro assignments for each instrument in the rack (eg. filter cutoff, res etc.), so I can tweak away during the set, but as these tweak all instruments at the same time, when I switch instruments for the next track their parameter settings can be unsuitable for the sound at that moment.

Does anyone have any tips for getting around this common sharing of macros? One idea would be to use ClyphX's 'DEV SET' at the start of each track to have the macros in the right area, but it's quite a lot of work to manually match the macro with the parameter being adjusted (as it doesn't snap to follow the value when you map parameters), and it's always approximate, differing slightly from the saved preset. So it's not ideal.

Any ideas how you go about this live would be brilliant. Thanks!

siliconarc

Re: Best way to switch instruments/presets in instrument rack?

Post by siliconarc » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:43 pm

i'd keep the vsts in their own instrument racks (for the macros), but on their own tracks.
this will keep the cpu down, as Live spreads the load evenly over the cpu multicores - a track per core.
having all vsts on one track in a rack can overload Live pretty quickly if you're using hungry vsts.

then (if possible..?) use clyphx to switch the 'bluehand' focus to the diff vst racks,
and to switch midi monitor buttons for playing each one separately.

csl

Post by csl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:29 pm

Thanks for the input, Gary. Might be scope for changing my setup in the future, but for now it'll have to be a track for live synth keys, plus one for bass, then a bunch for additional loops. I fear extra tracks for each live synth would get out of hand during live performances. Regarding CPU, I don't think it's currently an issue, as Live seems to drop the CPU down to near-zero when notes aren't being played.

Good point about the automating the blue hand selection with ClyphX, though if I switch to another effect channel I might lose it without manually returning. Shall have to test this.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:42 pm

i've been using my Push's endless encoders and also TouchOsc, so now i don't run into the problem of having to turn knobs til they 'takeover' when you switch instruments, so if you have endless encoders too (you didnt mention your contrroller), then great.
but if you have rotary knobs, or faders, then spreading out the vsts to separate tracks and 'bluehanding' them will still leave you with the takeover issue.

csl

Post by csl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:07 pm

Gary -- Ah, sorry. I'm also using a Push, which does make clip/scene changes nice and easy (though sometimes it's rather difficult to juggle this with instrument tapping, so I have a Faderfox with an encoder set to scene change as well). I'm just trying to avoid having to dive a few layers deep into the instrument rack, if possible.

Tom -- Yep, I've currently got a snap action for each track's mix, but I don't think I can also snap the instrument rack, as there are apparently far too many parameters. Hence the dev macro snap option. ClyphX is utterly brilliant though -- I'm rapidly realising how much easier it's making my life, so I'm thinking about PXT too (mod ribbon!).

I might just have to dive into each instrument if I want to tweak filters and such. I'd be ideal if instrument racks had a bank of macros for each instrument, switching automatically with a chain selector change (paged for the odd multi-layer instrument, perhaps). But that might just be me twisting its use for my own ends.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. :)

csl

Post by csl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:39 pm

Cheers for that, seems to have done the trick! Does it just snap all automatable parameters?

Yeah, I know I could rack them individually, but apart from being able to name each parameter, would I gain much? I'd still have to dive into them each time, wouldn't I?

Thanks again.

csl

Post by csl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:30 pm

Excellent. Thank you Tom.

borg

Post by borg » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:26 pm

I don't want to get into the reasons for the deletion of posts, here... :)

I'm new in the world of clyphx and wanted to expand my knowledge regarding Snapping and building a continuous liveset.
I feel I missed some valuable info here through deleting some posts...
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:36 pm

borg wrote:I don't want to get into the reasons for the deletion of posts, here... :)

I'm new in the world of clyphx and wanted to expand my knowledge regarding Snapping and building a continuous liveset.
I feel I missed some valuable info here through deleting some posts...
Well, there is a clyphx tips and tricks thread where I posted much of the info already.
But if you have further questions after reading my posts there, just ask them in that thread and I'll try to answer.