Amazing Noises Dark Synth parameter recall issue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
biestyboy

Amazing Noises Dark Synth parameter recall issue

Post by biestyboy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:11 pm

Noticed this a few times now. Occasionally the parameters seem to jump to random values, especially when recalling a saved project, but also sometimes mid session. It seems to be the Brick Wall Filter settings that jump so it's not such a big deal setting them back to what they should be but it's an annoyance. Anyone else using this, otherwise excellent, synth and having similar issues?
Live 11 Suite (64 bit)
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Plugins galore
Push

clydesdale

Re: Amazing Noises Dark Synth parameter recall issue

Post by clydesdale » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:02 pm

I think you need to tweak the 857th harmonic a little and that should fix it. :mrgreen: That's not helpful but I couldn't resist. At first glance I would have thought something in max4live wasn't loading the pattr values correctly but since you're seeing it change when the Live set is already loaded that doesn't seem entirely likely. My second thought would be a bug causing a spurious "set" command on the filter pad. I haven't used the synth enough to reproduce the same problem that you have but I'll be more aware of the parameter values from now on. If you haven't already done so, let AmazingNoises or Ableton know about your issue.
LIVE 9.1.7 x64, PUSH w/PXT, APC40, KEYSTATION PRO88, Radium61
Win8.1 Pro, 4820k(4.5GHz)/32GB/840ProSSD/RME Babyface

biestyboy

Post by biestyboy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:14 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll play a little more tonight to see if I can reproduce the issue a bit more reliably before reporting to Ableton/AN. In the meantime I'll try your 857th harmonic workaround, can't believe I didnt think of that myself.
Live 11 Suite (64 bit)
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Plugins galore
Push

AxfromMuc

Post by AxfromMuc » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:25 pm

sounds like a known Max4Live bug. Wonder when this bug will be fixed ...

monkeytrix

Post by monkeytrix » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:49 am

Spent hours tweaking a preset to perfection and lost it COMPLETELY after saving the session multiple times and then closing and reopening Live ... WTF?!?! Everything else saved in the session but anything I did with Dark Synth. This Sucks Eggs. Please Fix???

mauriziogiri

Post by mauriziogiri » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi guys, I am sorry for this problem and I want to solve it.

Unfortunately I am not able to reproduce the issue: i.e. when I reload a Live set containing the Dark Synth I get the settings I made. The same for saved presets.

I had another report of the issue, I told the user to download a fresh copy of the dark synth (even if he downloaded it a few days before) and install it again and the problem (apparently) was solved.

Please could you describe the issue precisely?
Does it happen every time or occasionally?
What parameters are reset (spectrum parameters, filter, LFOs, everything?)
What system are you using (Mac, Win, what version of Live and Max?)
Can you give me a Live set reproducing the issue?
Any other information could be useful for me to find a solution.

Thanks!
Maurizio

biestyboy

Post by biestyboy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:24 am

I'll try downloading a fresh copy. As I cannot get the problem to occur reliably it is difficult to describe the problem further than I already have. For me, the parameter that is always reset is the brickwall filter.
Live 11 Suite (64 bit)
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Plugins galore
Push

biestyboy

Post by biestyboy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:51 am

I'm now thinking it didnt install properly 1st time. I've just reinstalled and all my presets are now organised by type, which they weren't before (was just a big list). Hopefully thats it sorted but will test further.
Live 11 Suite (64 bit)
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Plugins galore
Push

monkeytrix

Post by monkeytrix » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:33 am

Even if I save my own version of the preset it won't load with the session - even though it keeps the name of the preset I created.
Reloading the preset does however return the changes I made.

Weirder yet is when I am making drastic parameter changes that make no audible ones .. then I will stop audio playback - start again - and voila all my changes are there? or does it just sound different? (Ghost in the Machine) - Have no idea how to prove this to you unfortunately.

I also cannot see help menus for any of the parameters in the synth like I can with other Ableton devices (maybe this is common for max4live instruments?)

I am on a Mac running Mavericks. 16gb of RAM - Newest mac mini (intel) 4 processors. Full 9 Suite.

- Tried Fresh copy didn't fix it for me.
- Tried repairing permissions even in the pack itself. No Change.

Anyway - Not All but Many parameters are not holding - Love this device, I really hope this gets resolved. I created an example session with screenshots before and after - How do I get it to you?

mauriziogiri

Post by mauriziogiri » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:41 am

Hi monkeytrix, to contact me http://www.giri.it/wp/contact/

What do you mean by "help menus for the parameter"? There is an help text for (almost) all parameters and it should appear in the Info View window (on the bottom left of the Live Window) when you hover the mouse over a dial: can you see it?
I hope it is not a Maverick related problem (I am still on 10.7.5, as the last os x doesn't seem too stable yet).
Do you have Live 9.1.2?

monkeytrix

Post by monkeytrix » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:30 am

Yes, I am using Live 9.1.2 on Mavericks 10.9.2. I am also running 64 bit EVERYTHING.

To be frank; 10.7.5 is a very outdated OS (even if it was a cool ;) Moreover, It worries me greatly to think I am purchasing software designed for an outdated OS. - One of the reasons I started using Live in 2006 is because it was cutting edge software, a true innovator, and not the endless bandaid/legacy marketing scam, fighting with Apple, that is still Avid (my 2 cents))

Anyway, should I try it with the latest Live Beta ? - There have been no Max4Live updates in some time now.

Oh and NO, there are no help menus in the "Info View" bottom left corner for this device at all.

Also, there is no attachment option on your contact page.
I'm assuming you just needed my email for the file exchange, so I sent you a message.

Anyway, I do appreciate your help, mauriziogiri.
:)

mauriziogiri

Post by mauriziogiri » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:40 am

I've sent you an email message.

The help issue is very strange. Does it occur on all max for live devices? (most of the devices in the standard distribution should have parameters help).

monkeytrix

Post by monkeytrix » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:06 am

Per your suggestion, I looked at some of my other Max4Live devices and noticed they also were missing the "Info View" text when hovering over their parameters.
So I naturally decided to Reinstall Max4Live and voila !!! - It seems ALL my problems have gone away.

1. Parameter Changes = Loading Correctly !
1. Info View = So Nice to See You !

Same exact version but a rerun of the Installer's "Optimize" stage was probably necessary now that some of my other software has changed.
..Smart Installer :)

Anyway, Hooray! so far so good. but I will keep testing to see if any bugs remain. (hope i didn't jinx it ;)

Thank You mauriziogiri !!!! :D

monkeytrix

Post by monkeytrix » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:22 am

Crap !!! - Info View Dropped Out Again !! - AAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH !!!!!!!
Trying latest Live Beta now
:x

mauriziogiri

Post by mauriziogiri » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:42 am

Does the preset reload still work?

Since it happens with all m4l devices, this help view issue seems a general Max for Live problem (probably with Mavericks?).
I will talk about this to Ableton people, and I suggest you to report the bug to Ableton support.