Different midi mapping for each track?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
futuremoves

Different midi mapping for each track?

Post by futuremoves » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:53 am

I have set up a track with exactly the midi mapping I want. When I switch tracks the midi mapping still controls just the track that I set up. Is it possible to get the midi mapping to change track by track depending on which track I have selected?

Thanks in advance.

re:dream

Re: Different midi mapping for each track?

Post by re:dream » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:04 am

Use SelectedTrackControl, a script for live that maps your controller to the currently selected track, among other things. It is a must have.

http://stc.wiffbi.com/

Thread here viewtopic.php?p=1257042#p1257042

futuremoves

Post by futuremoves » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:10 am

The Finn wrote:Use SelectedTrackControl, a script for live that maps your controller to the currently selected track, among other things. It is a must have.

Wow, that looks absolutely great. Thank you.

futuremoves

Post by futuremoves » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:00 pm

The Finn wrote:Use SelectedTrackControl, a script for live that maps your controller to the currently selected track, among other things. It is a must have.

OK, I have fallen at the first hurdle! As reticent as I am to ask a silly question... could I just confirm that this software does what I think it does?

I have a track set up with a rack in it, set up as follows (format:Parameter mapped to Rack knob mapped to Midi controller knob)

Filter cut off on plugin syth: Rack knob 1: Knob 1 on my controller
Filter resonance on plugin synth: Rack knob 1: Knob 2 on my controller
Attack of amp envelope on plugin synth: Mapped to the rack but not a specific knob: Slider 1 on my midi controller
Etc, etc

If I duplicate that track, then I cannot control the resulting track with the controller. What I would like to be able to do is select the resulting track and the knob on the controller will switch to controlling the resulting track.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I 'd be very grateful.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:08 pm

How are you doing the MIDI mapping?

Remember that if you implement MIDI mapping, it interrupts STC

There are two options

Use standard MIDI mapping to map a knob to a particular parameter.

This knob is now always married to that parameter. If you duplicate the track, the knob will still control the old track. This seems to me what you are doing.

Don't use MIDI mapping. Use STC instead

(1) Map your parameter to macros 1-8 on your rack.
(2) Then edit your MIDI controller so that you have 8 knobs sending control codes 33-40 (see the STC chart here) Don't use MIDI mapping at all. And make sure any existing MIDI mapping to those controls is deleted from your Set.

Then when you focus on the device, the MIDI controller will automatically grab those 8 macros.

Use the Blue hand to keep it 'stuck' to that controller when you switch tracks
Otherwise, when you switch tracks, control moves with your focus

But if you have already mapped the MIDI knob to something on live, then the STC mapping is overridden.

I hope that helps?

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:42 am

Has this not been requested before? I'm new to Live and coming from Studio One where you can create 'local' mappings that only affect the focused plugin, as well as 'global' mappings that always control the linked parameter regardless of plugin focus, this seems rather limiting.
Last edited by Scoox on Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FaithGiver

Post by FaithGiver » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:36 pm

wow. can't believe it's this complicated. i just want the knobs on my midi thing, to only control the instrument i have selected/am playing. why's this so hard??

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:03 am

FaithGiver wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:36 pm
wow. can't believe it's this complicated. i just want the knobs on my midi thing, to only control the instrument i have selected/am playing. why's this so hard??
It's called a Control Surface script, your controller need to have one for this to work.

Cheers
D

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:27 am

S4racen wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:03 am
FaithGiver wrote:
It's called a Control Surface script, your controller need to have one for this to work.

Cheers
D
Studio One provides this without any scripts. You can create mappings that affect the focused plugin window only, and mappings that are globally bound to a parameter regardless of window focus, no scripts needed. Oh and it sends MIDI value to the controller which is useful if you are using encoders with LED rings, again, all without scripting.

The moment scripting is needed, you know 99% of users are not going to use that feature because most Live usrs are here to write music, not scripts.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:44 am

Scoox wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:27 am
S4racen wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:03 am
FaithGiver wrote:

Cheers
D
Studio One provides this without any scripts. You can create mappings that affect the focused plugin window only, and mappings that are globally bound to a parameter regardless of window focus, no scripts needed. Oh and it sends MIDI value to the controller which is useful if you are using encoders with LED rings, again, all without scripting.

The moment scripting is needed, you know 99% of users are not going to use that feature because most Live usrs are here to write music, not scripts.
Live has lots of control surface scripts already, they're listed in the MIDI preferences pane.

Live is not Studio One...

Cheers
D

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:40 am

S4racen wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:44 am
Live has lots of control surface scripts already, they're listed in the MIDI preferences pane.

Live is not Studio One...
Obviously Live is not Studio One :) Merely saying that the majority of users find any functionality that requires scripting less accessible. That said, I don't mind doing a bit of scripting every now and then if it gets me the results I want, but the entry bar is definitely higher.

I've only messed with the demo but Live 11 + Push 2 are arriving today in the mail. My experience is in other DAWs (FL, Bitwig, Studio One, Reaper...) and I'm very new to Live so cut me some slack.

My question is if the included stock controller scripts can do this: using the stock Novation LaunchControl script, will I be able to freely assign a hardware knob to different device parameters depending on the device that is currently focused? For example: I would like the first knob of my MIDI controller to control Filter Cutoff when Sylenth1 is focused (and only for the focused instance), and Osc A Level when an instance of Operator is focused.

I'm aware of third-party scripts (Isotonik Studios' LaunchControl X script, etc) that come with an external editor, but I'm not sure those will work with VST (in the videos I've seen they only use Live's built-in devices).

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:15 pm

Scoox wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:40 am
I'm aware of third-party scripts (Isotonik Studios' LaunchControl X script, etc) that come with an external editor, but I'm not sure those will work with VST (in the videos I've seen they only use Live's built-in devices).
Yes it works with VST's but it's not yet compatible with Live 11.

With Control Surface mapping you are stuck with how Ableton has defined the mappings, they are not editable without a 3rd Party tool.

Cheers
D

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:37 pm

Scoox wrote:
Push 2 are arriving today in the mail
This should sort out your problem, since it's working as a Control Surface (mentioned early in the thread).
Ableton Forum Moderator

Scoox

Post by Scoox » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:32 pm

[jur] wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:37 pm
Scoox wrote:
Push 2 are arriving today in the mail
This should sort out your problem, since it's working as a Control Surface (mentioned early in the thread).
Got it already, still have not unboxed it as I've only just got back. From @S4racen's reply I understand it will work brilliant with Live's built-in devices, but may not with third party plugins. I wonder if it will work, at least, with Instrument Rack macro knobs, it being a built-in device.

The trouble with Push 2 is that it's pretty big. It really belongs at the centre of the desk but that's also the spot where other critical gear (namely the typing keyboard and the master keyboard) wants to sit. I deliberately use a small custom-made desk to minimize desk reflections and also because I prefer a minimal set-up. I got Push only because the deal was Push 2 + Live 11 Suite for 639 Euro. Live alone would have cost 599 Euro so, it was a no-brainer. I plan to put it on one of the shelves of my synth stand for computer-free jamming.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:07 pm

Scoox wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:32 pm
but may not with third party plugins. I wonder if it will work, at least, with Instrument Rack macro knobs, it being a built-in device.
This, or use the "configure" button on VSTs.
Scoox wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:32 pm
The trouble with Push 2 is that it's pretty big. It really belongs at the centre of the desk but that's also the spot where other critical gear (namely the typing keyboard and the master keyboard) wants to sit.
Try to find a solution, if you put it away no doubt that you quickly won't use it that much.
It's right between my keyboard and my screen and it works great.
Ableton Forum Moderator