Plugin for Formant Shifting

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
penguinpajamas

Plugin for Formant Shifting

Post by penguinpajamas » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:51 am

Hey guys! So I'm starting to realize that there's tons of awesome tonal stuff that can be accomplished with formant shifting, however, I don't currently possess anything to do it with. I've heard Melodyne is pretty great, but it's extremely pricey, especially when all I really want is formant shifting and not all of the pitch and time correction stuff.

So does anyone know of any plugins that you can recommend for formant shifting?

Thanks,
Charlie

jlgrimes

Re: Plugin for Formant Shifting

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:49 am

penguinpajamas wrote:Hey guys! So I'm starting to realize that there's tons of awesome tonal stuff that can be accomplished with formant shifting, however, I don't currently possess anything to do it with. I've heard Melodyne is pretty great, but it's extremely pricey, especially when all I really want is formant shifting and not all of the pitch and time correction stuff.

Thanks,
Charlie

Autotune. There might be something in Max4Live even.

Both Melodyne and Autotune are pricey but both have limited models which start around $100. I'm not sure though at what price point though they start offering the formant mode.

If you are on PC, Gsnap is a freeware autotune plugin. Reaper also has a suite of free effects on of them does pitch correction but then again not sure if it does formant.

If you have Reaktor or Max someone might have created something that does this.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:59 am

penguinpajamas wrote:Hey guys! So I'm starting to realize that there's tons of awesome tonal stuff that can be accomplished with formant shifting, however, I don't currently possess anything to do it with. I've heard Melodyne is pretty great, but it's extremely pricey, especially when all I really want is formant shifting and not all of the pitch and time correction stuff.

Thanks,
Charlie
Someone created a Live Rack that does this using a bunch of EQ8s.

penguinpajamas

Post by penguinpajamas » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:27 am

Just to reiterate, I'm not looking for vowel filters using formants so much as a formant shifter so I could get the effect where it sounds like something like a voice is dropping in pitch when only the timbre changes and the pitch stays intact.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:21 am

Kerovee. Free vst. Turn off the hard tuning and have at the formant wildness.

rinkybink

Post by rinkybink » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:23 am

I asked about this a few months ago and never got a reply. This would be something like I have in my Roland VS-890 or the Roland Voice Transformer stand alone effects box, which I don't have.

I would love to have this, too. I'm on a Mac. A M4L device would be great.

penguinpajamas

Post by penguinpajamas » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:05 am

yur2die4 wrote:Kerovee. Free vst. Turn off the hard tuning and have at the formant wildness.
I heard it was only for Windows. Is that true?

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:41 am

Robert Henke has a very nice M4L formant plugin on his site here: http://www.roberthenke.com/technology/m4l.html

moscom_musik

Post by moscom_musik » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:30 am

It reminds me of what you can do with NI Razor, where you have the ability to move only the partials and leave the fundamental untouched. As I was interested in this, I did a similar search as the OP's, and only found Melodyne though :(. I could not find any M4L device that would work in a spirit close to that of Melodyne regarding partial modulation.
Macbook Pro Retina 2015, Live 9 Suite, Push, and a bunch of plug-ins I like :)

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:36 am

My favorite is the reason thingie - Neptune. that thing is just bananas. Such a shame that it's so cumbersome to pipe audio from Live to reason.
Izotope Nectar has a nice formant shifter if you don't want to go the ilok route w autotune. Also, someone did make an autotune thingie for MFL if your into that sort of thing. it was back when MFL first came out. i forget the name, it was something poking at antares autotune, like autotalent or something.

mike

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:37 pm

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar01/a ... nthsec.asp

also... Live's vocoder has a 'Formant' knob ,, wink wink