Help with ableton/device setup

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
enomasable

Help with ableton/device setup

Post by enomasable » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:39 pm

hi
am a newb on here and would love to get help on a few questions please :? . I have been using ableton with midi keyboard and apc40, recently bought a scarlett 2i2 audio interface which i have connected as my audio device in ableton. My questions are
1. do i need to connect my apc40 and/or midi through my 2i2 and if so how because like i said i am a bit new to this and i get this feeling that connecting through the 2i2 improves the sound quality.
2. also, i have just installed midi yoke (not sure if this is the best place to ask) and wondering if i should connect my apc40 through the midi-ox to ableton or not..
Your help on any of these would be very appreciated
cheers noma

yur2die4

Re: Help with ableton/device setup

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:45 pm

The scarlett will be your main sound input and output. You choose it in Audio Preferences, make sure beforehand that the appropriate drivers are installed. And use it for recording and playing back sound in Live. There is no way to hook a midi device up to the 2i2 but that's not a problem.

Now that your scarlett is handling audio, chances are you'll have clean low latency audio processing. Since you have lower latency processing, the midi devices that you also connect to your computer should feel a little snappier and more natural.

You can simply connect them to your USB and then set them up in Live's Preferences (keep in mind that the APC needs a Power Adapter). If you set the APC up in MIDI Preferences under Control Surfaces it should automatically work. No need for midi ox or anything unless you really want to complicate things. From the sound of it, you may want to have more experience doing the basics first. Unless you have a specific plan.

enomasable

Re: Help with ableton/device setup

Post by enomasable » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:01 pm

Thanks yur2die4, for clearing up my confusion with the midi routing, very much appreciated. :D